Sprint Optimus guide to Rooting, ROMs, Recoveries & Themes

Dirtpuddle

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
re: Sprint Optimus guide to Rooting, ROMs, Recoveries & Themes

Are there any ROMs out there compatible with 2.2.2, other than Kraven's? I tried that one and it didn't work, and I confess I may have done something wrong, but I was able to flash Reborn and am using that just fine. It just makes me a little leery since it's no longer supported.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Are there any ROMs out there compatible with 2.2.2, other than Kraven's? I tried that one and it didn't work, and I confess I may have done something wrong, but I was able to flash Reborn and am using that just fine. It just makes me a little leery since it's no longer supported.
There are several ROMs that are compatible with ZVD, though not all of them are 2.2.2; CM7 is an example. You might also try sROM. If you are confused about the difference, please see my Welcome Guide, found in the stickies.

I don't know who is circulating the idea that Reborn is no longer supported or recommended. That ROM is about as solid as they come. The only thing that is inconvenient at present is that new users will have to update a bunch of stuff on first run, but most ROMs have you doing that if they are more than a couple months since packaging.

Last edited:

Dirtpuddle

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site

I don't know who is circulating the idea that Reborn is no longer supported or recommended.

Lol, first page of this thread! But if it's not true, I have no problem keeping it.

I was thinking 2.2.2 and zvd were the same, but obviously I have more schoolin' :)

dbeauch

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site

yeah the ROM list needs to be updated, many ROMs that aren't included and some "discontinued" ROMS are actually still active. I would also sort the ROMs by whether they run off of ZVD or ZVH, and there is even some ICS ROMS in the works.

mike9670

DROID Master
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

I'm super busy with a house reno right now. I am not putting links to Alpha or experimental ROMs. Only stable ROMs that are safe for a newb.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
There are several ROMs that are compatible with ZVD, though not all of them are 2.2.2; CM7 is an example. You might also try sROM. If you are confused about the difference, please see my Welcome Guide, found in the stickies.

I don't know who is circulating the idea that Reborn is no longer supported or recommended. That ROM is about as solid as they come. The only thing that is inconvenient at present is that new users will have to update a bunch of stuff on first run, but most ROMs have you doing that if they are more than a couple months since packaging.

Reborn is not supported by the DEV anymore, meaning he is not taking any bug reports or doing any updates. Reborn 2.2.4 is the last of the reborn line. Now that is not to say it is not widely used, cause it is, I use it myself. I still feel it is one of best roms!
Supported Roms mean they are being actively being updated by the Dev still.

Last edited:

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Supported Roms mean they are being actively being updated by the Dec still.
Supported and actively developed are two different things in my view. Example: Windows XP; folks are still producing compatible software and guys like me still have to support it, but there is no active development from Micro$oft. (It really does injustice to compare Reborn ROM to MS product, but it's what comes to mind.) Same thing with an Ubuntu LTS: they mostly just maintain the repos for 3 years instead of 1.5.

A good stable release does not need much developer support.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Supported and actively developed are two different things in my view.

A good stable release does not need much developer support.
I agree with you on that. Again Reborn for example, has a lot of users still that don't mind helping others with problems when they do arise. So in that sense, yes it is still supported.

gingerc76

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I've actually used reborn but the only issue I had was the boot loading which took 5 minutes when normally it should be 1 minute to say the least. Now I'm running S rom and it's smooth and boots easily.

Sent from my LS670 oh hush

Dirtpuddle

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
So I upgraded to ZVJ just for kicks and giggles and am running GingerRom without any real issues, but I was going to throw in a new kernel from the list on this thread but either they're not compatible or the links are dead. Are there any GingerRom-compatible kernels out there?