Official Sprint ZVD / Froyo downgrade now available

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You must have stock recovery to run this update.zip successfully.

Stock recovery is the one that comes default on phones from the factory. It looks like this [pic]

If you currently have Xionia CWMA Recovery v1.2518.6, there is a shortcut for advanced users in the reference section

iBowToAndroid posted this a few days ago, here is the official page from Sprint.

ZVD update.zip [MD5: 2db9b55305cff37a6b6e402fb8518acf] [Size: 88,007,618]
ZVD downgrade details

Code:
LG Optimus S™ Froyo Software Package
Download the latest Froyo software for the Optimus S.
Note: Performing this system update will result in a device reset, removing all contacts and account information. To retain your contacts, please visit a full-service Sprint store to perform this update.
Follow these instructions to install the Froyo software:

Make sure your device has a full charge before performing this update.
    Make sure you have an SD card in the phone (go to Menu > Settings > SD Card & Phone Storage).
    Download the file "update.zip" to your PC Desktop.
    Connect your LG Optimus to your PC via the micro USB cable and select the option to "Turn on USB Storage".
    Open the folder to view files on your device and place "update.zip" from your desktop onto your SD card.
    Once the file is copied, turn off the USB storage on the device, disconnect the device from the PC and power off the device.
    Now press the Volume Down key, Home key (on the front of the device), and Power key simultaneously for 5-10 seconds until you see an Android recovery screen.
    Navigate on the screen with the Side Volume keys to highlight the second option, "apply sdcard:update.zip".
    Press the Menu key on the front of the device after highlighting that selection to begin the software installation.
    After 2-3 minutes, select "wipe data/factory reset" using the Side Volume keys and press the Menu key to select this option.
    Highlight the line "Yes -- delete all user data" by using the Side Volume keys and press the Menu key to select this option.
    Press the Volume Down key to highlight "reboot system now" and press the Menu key to select this option.
    The update process should automatically power cycle the device.
    Once rebooted, verify the process was successful by navigating to Menu > Settings > About Phone and confirm the software version is "LS670ZVD".

If you experience any issues performing this installation, please visit your nearest full-service Sprint retail store for assistance.
Technical Specifications:
Dated: 10/03/2011
Software Version: LS670ZVD

Reference
If you currently have Xionia CWMA Recovery v1.2518.6 (do NOT try this with thunderc recovery), you can save yourself the step of (re)installing stock Recovery before installing the ZVD update.zip in the following situations:

Note #1 - If at any point your phone gets stuck on the Android logo, do a Factory reset from within Stock Recovery

a) [Radio: ZVD] / [ROM: any] => stock ZVD Radio/ROM/Recovery
From Xionia CWMA Recovery, use "install zip from sdcard" and turn off "signature verification", then use "apply sdcard:update.zip" to install the ZVD update.zip

b) [Radio: any] / [ROM: any] => stock ZVD Radio/ROM/Recovery
In this case, we will install the ZVD update.zip twice. The first install gets you stock ZVD ROM/Recovery (with your existing radio). Data likely won't work at this point. The second install then adds stock ZVD Radio. From Xionia CWMA Recovery, use "install zip from sdcard" and turn off "signature verification", then use "apply sdcard:update.zip" to install the ZVD update.zip. After that is done, boot into Recovery and "apply sdcard:update.zip".

c) [Radio: any] / [ROM: any] => rooted ZVH Radio/ROM/Recovery
In this case, we just install the ZVD update.zip in Xionia CWMA Recovery knowing there will be a Radio/ROM mismatch and data likely won't work. We don't care because we are just going to root the ROM and go back to ZVH. From Xionia CWMA Recovery, use "install zip from sdcard" and turn off "signature verification", then use "apply sdcard:update.zip" to install the ZVD update.zip. Next use [GingerSnap] [GingerBreak] to root ZVD. After that follow the ZVH rooting steps.

Last edited:

reltm

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Wow, this is great. So just to clarify -- this will revert the radio to ZVD without needing to go through the LG update tool (which needs a Windows computer). Is this how you guys see this, too? So sfhub, you could potentially just link to this in the 2nd line of your signature?

Also question about the "wipe data/factory reset" - they say to do it after flashing the update.zip file. Does it really matter what order you do it in? This goes for basketthis' debug.zip file, too.

Checking out ZVH (potential flaws and all) just got a lot easier! thanks for posting.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Wow, this is great. So just to clarify -- this will revert the radio to ZVD without needing to go through the LG update tool (which needs a Windows computer). Is this how you guys see this, too? So sfhub, you could potentially just link to this in the 2nd line of your signature?

Also question about the "wipe data/factory reset" - they say to do it after flashing the update.zip file. Does it really matter what order you do it in? This goes for basketthis' debug.zip file, too.

Checking out ZVH (potential flaws and all) just got a lot easier! thanks for posting.
This will revert your radio to ZVD. You must have stock recovery to run this update.zip. You can run this update on any version / ROM and bring it to ZVD. IMO you should wipe data/factory reset before and afterwards for the cleanest install, though it may not always be necessary to do both.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So to make this clear for everyone else, if you have a Xionia recovery installed does it mean you can not do this update zip?
It will be the same as ZVH update, it will fail signature check and if you disable signatures, it won't install ZVD radio.

Reactions: reltm

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't think this is a good sign if you were hoping that Sprint would be releasing a Gingerbread-based update to fix the issues that ZVH has. Why go through the support hassles of having customers downgrade if a new upgrade was coming any time soon? Luckily I have having none of the issues in question with gROM 1.2 (my phone boots and charges, my headset works, and I use smart keyboard pro, so the big issues don't seem to be issues for me), so I'm planning on sticking with ZVH.

Jessicalt1

Lover of all things Andi
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't think this is a good sign if you were hoping that Sprint would be releasing a Gingerbread-based update to fix the issues that ZVH has. Why go through the support hassles of having customers downgrade if a new upgrade was coming any time soon? Luckily I have having none of the issues in question with gROM 1.2 (my phone boots and charges, my headset works, and I use smart keyboard pro, so the big issues don't seem to be issues for me), so I'm planning on sticking with ZVH.

I'd assume it's a better bet than replacing a bunch of cell phones due to non charging etc.

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

Not everyone will see the issues. Its all about usage patterns. I don't see the issues either but do note a bug with battery stats which could be related to charging issues possibly. Other than that all the "bugs" are moot points for me. Dont see them and are not affected by them.

I also suspect that there could be hardware variances that make these issues surface as well. Thats just a guess though.

I'd assume it's a better bet than replacing a bunch of cell phones due to non charging etc.

True, I don't think this is indicative of Sprint not trying to continue with another update. Who knows... Maybe they will even make it a NEW gingerbread release instead of the old version they are using now (2.3.3 -> 2.3.5).

-Scott

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

Both LG on their support forum, and Sprint on theirs, have repeated several times even post this release that they are still working to fix the issues with Gingerbread and it will be re-released in the near future. This was, I'm fairly certain, just a fix to quell the angry masses until then.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Both LG on their support forum, and Sprint on theirs, have repeated several times even post this release that they are still working to fix the issues with Gingerbread and it will be re-released in the near future. This was, I'm fairly certain, just a fix to quell the angry masses until then.

From my experiance with the Sanyo Zio when they release the 2.2 update and it caused alot of problems like the ZVH update did they pulled it. Never was re-released. Thats how I ended up getting the Optimus S, because I complained about buying apps for 2.2 and now I could not use them. they gave me this phone! That was such a awesome trade off, this phone is a 100 time better. Of course that was a year ago.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
How do I get the stock recovery back? Is it as simple as following this method or do I need to do something else because I'm running ZVH?
If you installed ZVH, shouldn't you have stock recovery already? IIRC the ZVH update.zip shouldn't run on custom recoveries unless you turn off signature verification.

If you followed the rooting thread to install ZVH, then getting stock recovery is simple, just do this from adb shell:
$ su
# cd /sdcard/000root
# /system/bin/sh install-vd.sh

Reactions: reltm

anks329

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
If you installed ZVH, shouldn't you have stock recovery already? IIRC the ZVH update.zip shouldn't run on custom recoveries unless you turn off signature verification.

If you followed the rooting thread to install ZVH, then getting stock recovery is simple, just do this from adb shell:

I had installed Xionia after rooting ZVH. I checked the folders and I still have the install-vd.sh file. Can I use a terminal emulator on the phone, or ADB is the best bet?

Thanks for all the help!

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I had installed Xionia after rooting ZVH. I checked the folders and I still have the install-vd.sh file. Can I use a terminal emulator on the phone, or ADB is the best bet?

Thanks for all the help!
Terminal emulator is fine.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Depends what you mean by "work". You'll have Sprint Radio and possibly Sprint PRL. MMS probably won't work quite right. Some buttons might be reversed. Calling and SMS might work if you put a US Cellular PRL on. You should get a US Cellular rom for less issues.

desean93

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
was wondering why everyone thinks this is a big deal..... yesterday night i was messing around with my phone because i really wanted to go back to stock and i just flashed the update.zip zvd file to my phone... was nervous because i was rooted and running drew's cm7 rom.... so it flashed successfully..... so went ahead and flashed the zvh update.zip file and that to flashed successfully.... dont kno yu have to go through all them steps just to go back to stock recovery

Reactions: mr.longbough