"not writing bad block at 0x004c0000" What am I doing wrong?

carole6m

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi I'm new here. I was having ZVD and I rooted my phone with gingersnap. Then I followed the thread "Rooting LS670ZVH" but I got an error after I typed "/system/bin/sh install-v9.sh". It says
mtd: not writing bad block at 0x004c0000
error writing recovery: No space left on device
I have 1.7G left on my sd card and I uninstalled all the apps I downloaded and rebooted several times but it's still giving me this error. What should I do? Thanks in advance!

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Never seen that error. Could be your internal flash memory is having issues. The recovery that is being restored is the complete img of the recovery partition rather than just the minimal amount needed for the recovery. It is possible it is exercising portions of the partition that aren't usually accessed. It is also possible the portion that is hitting an error is just dead space that isn't being used in the partition.

You can try booting into recovery and see if it works anyway.

carole6m

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I was able to reboot to recovery earlier but I can't anymore. Holding the 3 keys leads to a blank screen. Using the command prompt results in it stuck on the LG logo. Using the power key will boot into Android. Any idea where I messed up?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I was able to reboot to recovery earlier but I can't anymore. Holding the 3 keys leads to a blank screen. Using the command prompt results in it stuck on the LG logo. Using the power key will boot into Android. Any idea where I messed up?
Don't panic.

The blank screen is normal if you have the new LCD.

Keep in mind, there is something likely defective with the internal flash memory on your phone, so you cannot expect everything to work smoothly but hopefully it will.

At the blank screen, try pressing the [Menu] button on the phone. If it boots into Android, you were in Recovery, but just had the expected blank screen.

BTW what did you mean by "using the command prompt results in it stuck on the LG logo"?

totopn

May 20, 2011
Visit site
i have the same problem, now im trying to boot in to recovery mode and get stuck :( i pull out battery and trying again and work for me

Last edited:

carole6m

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Don't panic.

The blank screen is normal if you have the new LCD.

Keep in mind, there is something likely defective with the internal flash memory on your phone, so you cannot expect everything to work smoothly but hopefully it will.

At the blank screen, try pressing the [Menu] button on the phone. If it boots into Android, you were in Recovery, but just had the expected blank screen.

BTW what did you mean by "using the command prompt results in it stuck on the LG logo"?
The first time after I installed the Xionia recovery i was able to boot into recovery using the 3 keys. I just had to wait a little bit before it shows up. Now it's the blank screen and pressing the menu button doesn't do anything... I searched on the internet for solutions but nothing worked... Formatted the SD card and did a factory reset but the problem is still there.
So my phone is rooted in ZVD but since it won't let me install the stock v9 recovery, what can I do to update to ZVH? Thanks!

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The first time after I installed the Xionia recovery i was able to boot into recovery using the 3 keys. I just had to wait a little bit before it shows up. Now it's the blank screen and pressing the menu button doesn't do anything... I searched on the internet for solutions but nothing worked... Formatted the SD card and did a factory reset but the problem is still there.
So my phone is rooted in ZVD but since it won't let me install the stock v9 recovery, what can I do to update to ZVH? Thanks!
I don't think you are understanding what I'm saying.

stock V9 recovery doesn't have the drivers for the new LCD in your phone. That is the most likely reason it is a blank screen. Assuming that is the case, the Recovery is still running, you just don't see anything on your screen. This is *normal* and *expected*

Xionia has nothing to do with stock V9 recovery. It also suffered from the driver problem in earlier versions but we narrowed down the problem and the current version will work with old and new LCDs.

So if you have the blank screen when you boot into recovery you most likely have *already* installed the stock V9 recovery. Please see the Note #1 in Step 2.

If you are still not sure that what I'm saying is correct, install Android Screencast and you will most likely see the phone's screen as a window on your PC.

carole6m

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you are understanding what I'm saying.

stock V9 recovery doesn't have the drivers for the new LCD in your phone. That is the most likely reason it is a blank screen. Assuming that is the case, the Recovery is still running, you just don't see anything on your screen. This is *normal* and *expected*

Xionia has nothing to do with stock V9 recovery. It also suffered from the driver problem in earlier versions but we narrowed down the problem and the current version will work with old and new LCDs.

So if you have the blank screen when you boot into recovery you most likely have *already* installed the stock V9 recovery. Please see the Note #1 in Step 2.

If you are still not sure that what I'm saying is correct, install Android Screencast and you will most likely see the phone's screen as a window on your PC.

Thanks for the response. But at the step where I should be installing the V9 recovery the error shows up saying "no space left on device" and that's why I didn't think the v9 recovery was installed. My phone still shows the version is ZVD. Does that mean V9 is not installed?

carole6m

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I saw your other reply. I'll do what you said later tonight. Sorry if i seemed a little confused. English isn't my first language and I'm completely new to this rooting thingy. :-[

carole6m

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
So I installed Screencast and it works fine. I repeated the process from step 1 but after the reboot recovery command the phone is stuck at the LG logo screen and the Screencast is still showing the homescreen. I've been waiting for a while now. Still nothing...

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So I installed Screencast and it works fine. I repeated the process from step 1 but after the reboot recovery command the phone is stuck at the LG logo screen and the Screencast is still showing the homescreen. I've been waiting for a while now. Still nothing...
Just to confirm, you can still boot into Android right? It is only when you issue the command "reboot recovery" or "adb reboot recovery" that you get stuck on the LG logo?

If that is the case, I would do the rooting "blind". By that, I mean look at the pictures that are provided in the instructions so you can get a bearings on what you are doing.

So first, get past the LG logo hang by pulling the usb cable, then the battery, then replace the battery, simultaneously press and hold [Power][Vol Dwn][Home] until the screen turns blank and stays that way (probably about 3 seconds), then look at the pictures that accompany the commands in the instructions and press the appropriate buttons.

carole6m

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Just to confirm, you can still boot into Android right? It is only when you issue the command "reboot recovery" or "adb reboot recovery" that you get stuck on the LG logo?

If that is the case, I would do the rooting "blind". By that, I mean look at the pictures that are provided in the instructions so you can get a bearings on what you are doing.

So first, get past the LG logo hang by pulling the usb cable, then the battery, then replace the battery, simultaneously press and hold [Power][Vol Dwn][Home] until the screen turns blank and stays that way (probably about 3 seconds), then look at the pictures that accompany the commands in the instructions and press the appropriate buttons.

Yes I can still boot into Android. When I use the command it gets stuck on the logo and when I use the 3 keys it's blank.
I'll try your suggestion and see how it goes.

carole6m

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
So I have a really dumb question... Since I'm new to all this and haven't figured it out yet... It didn't work when I followed step 4 so I thought if it was a memory problem could it be because I haven't installed the ROM yet? So I went ahead and installed the CM7 for ZVD. I followed the steps and rebooted. Haven't installed the kernel yet but after I rebooted everything looked like Gingerbread. Then I went into About Phone and it says I have Android 2.3.5? I haven't passed the V9 recovery so I didn't install the ZVH update. How does installing ROM for ZVD give me 2.3.5? Baseband version is Unknown. I'm confused... Should I stay where it is?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It didn't work when I followed step 4 so I thought if it was a memory problem could it be because I haven't installed the ROM yet?
It could be many problems. It is hard to tell right now because we can't see anything with the V9 recovery on your phone. The most likely problem is you don't have the ZVH update.zip at the top-level directory of your sdcard or the one you have there is corrupt.

So I went ahead and installed the CM7 for ZVD. I followed the steps and rebooted. Haven't installed the kernel yet but after I rebooted everything looked like Gingerbread.
If you want to run CM7 that is fine. It just isn't the LG official gingerbread and there are some small things here and there that don't work. Overall it is pretty functional and many people run with it.

Then I went into About Phone and it says I have Android 2.3.5?
The version of CM7 that was ported to Optimus was based on 2.3.5.

I haven't passed the V9 recovery so I didn't install the ZVH update.
If you installed the CM7 rom, I don't believe you even have V9 recovery anymore. Stock recovery can't install the custom ROM packages.

How does installing ROM for ZVD give me 2.3.5? Baseband version is Unknown. I'm confused... Should I stay where it is?
The phone software is composed of Radio, Kernel, OS. Your Radio is ZVD. I'm not sure what your kernel is anymore, but probably a custom one that came with CM7, and your OS is CM7 (based on android 2.3.5)

That port of CM7 is designed to work with the ZVD radio. If you had installed ZVH, you would have the ZVH radio and it wouldn't have worked well with CM7.

If you want the "official" GingerBread then go with ZVH. If you are happy with what you have stick with CM7.

ndine

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi I'm new here. I was having ZVD and I rooted my phone with gingersnap. Then I followed the thread "Rooting LS670ZVH" but I got an error after I typed "/system/bin/sh install-v9.sh". It says
mtd: not writing bad block at 0x004c0000
error writing recovery: No space left on device
I have 1.7G left on my sd card and I uninstalled all the apps I downloaded and rebooted several times but it's still giving me this error. What should I do? Thanks in advance!

I had a similar problem when updating my Optimus. I don't remember if the "Not writing bad block" thing came up though, but I also got the blank recovery screen. What I did was pull the usb cord, pull the battery, replaced the battery, went into android, uninstall most of my apps until I had 100+ MB of internal memory, then I went and started from step one of the guide. That worked for me.

Best of luck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2