Charging Voltages

On3wheels

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I live on my phone, all day long. Its my magazine in the waiting room, my music for a jog or on the bus, games, weather, etc, etc...as Im sure we all do but i end up fully discharging my battery very often. Knowing this is not good for a Li-Ion, I was hoping to compensate for this by lowering the charging voltage. I dont mind it taking longer and would help keep it cooler while charging. Is this possible, well I spose anythings possible :), what would be required to do this?

Also, has anyone else noticed a considerable increase in battery life after wiping batt stats? I usually get 14-16hrs but top 24 hrs regularly after resetting stats ???

Last edited:

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
You can underclock but that's really not needed. The optimus gets awesome battery life. You need a charger :)

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

bweb

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
i end up fully discharging my battery very often. Knowing this is not good for a Li-Ion, I was hoping to compensate for this by lowering the charging voltage.

fyi, the fail safe circuitry contained in the cell should protect you from failure, it does not allow you to "fully discharge" your battery.

wiki: Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Deep discharge may short-circuit the cell, in which case recharging would be unsafe.[58] To reduce these risks, Lithium-ion battery packs contain fail-safe circuitry that shuts down the battery when its voltage is outside the safe range of 3?4.2 V per cell.

farfromuman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I live on my phone, all day long. Its my magazine in the waiting room, my music for a jog or on the bus, games, weather, etc, etc...as Im sure we all do but i end up fully discharging my battery very often. Knowing this is not good for a Li-Ion, I was hoping to compensate for this by lowering the charging voltage. I dont mind it taking longer and would help keep it cooler while charging. Is this possible, well I spose anythings possible :), what would be required to do this?

Also, has anyone else noticed a considerable increase in battery life after wiping batt stats? I usually get 14-16hrs but top 24 hrs regularly after resetting stats ???

You need to lower the charging amperage. Stock charger is 700ma so a 500ma would charge slower, PC USB ports usually top out at 500ma. Any lower than 500ma and it might not charge.

Personally I charge mine with a 1 AMP charger for quickness, it might be beneficial for you to carry a quick charger and charge whenever the battery gets to a low state so that you avoid the full discharge. .

Reactions: On3wheels

swg0101

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
A higher amperage charger will not charge the phone any quicker because the phone regulates how much current it will put out on the battery. Even if you have an 2000 mA charger, it will still limit the current to ~700 mA. My phone charges at 744 mA both the stock and my 900 mA charger, so no difference there. On USB, the current is usually 428 mA.

As far as heat goes, the battery doesn't shouldn't get unusually hot when it is being charged. Even if it does, the stock battery has a thermistor built in that will help the phone control the input current shall the battery gets too hot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21