[POLL] Maximum OC frequency for GingerKernel

What should the maximum OC frequency of GingerKernel be?

• Total voters

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
At this time, GingerKernel has a maximum overclock (OC) frequency of 806 MHz. This was done for battery life and device longevity reasons.

It is a well-known fact that operating a device beyond it's normal operating parameters can (and will) reduce the longevity of the device, as well as take a major hit on overall battery life.

So I leave the community with this poll. What would you like the maximum OC frequency of GingerKernel to be? Comments in this thread will not be counted as votes. You need to vote in the poll above for your vote to be counted!

This poll (and thread) will close as soon as development of GingerKernel v08 starts, so vote now!

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
My thoughts are why not bump it up if there are users that want it. Just because it is capable of going that high, doesnt mean we well have to partake of that goodness. I will never go over 800 ( i am just to interested in battery conservation), but what is good for me is not good for everyone. I say give them what they want. And as always keep up the good work!!!

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Just put it at 846. Why would you not? If the device cant handle 846 then dont go that high. If your device can handle it... "Profit!"

Why limit everyone because some device may not be able to handle it? Seems silly to do so. I want to see what this thing can do.... Open it up!

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I think that the voice of reason here is you drew. We rely on you to tell us what's best for our phone. You keep us safe most of the time! With that being said, its a tough call to say whether the overclock should be higher than the current 806 available. I am running great at 806 and some phones can't even handle that. I had no problem running 864 when it was available. Do i miss it? No. Does my phone run perfectly fine at 806? Yes.
The tech in me says that i want to push it to it's limits. The responsible everyday user in me says that I am perfectly fine with what is available. I think it is a great balance of speed and battery life at 806. The word here is efficiency. Ultimately, whether its the popular choice or not, my vote is going to be to keep it where its at. If anyone wants something different then they can learn how to hack the kernel themselves and program their own. :p
You have contributed probably the most important pieces to this phone regularly and I think if anyone knows best, its you. Keep up the great work! And if you decide to up it, it won't hurt my feelings. Just giving my opinion here. ;)

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I see it like this.... If you had a brand new Corvette... That may or may not do 200MPH... but you would like to try just to see because you know you can simply slow down if it cant go that fast.... Would you want the dealer to put a governor on it for 100MPH because some other guy has issues driving at 200MPH?

I know that is not perfect analogy for obvious reasons but I think its similar enough to be relevant.

You know, if he doesn't compile for 846 then I will. I will compile for 900+ just to do it. Its not very hard at all to make that change.

Damn I love Open Source! Just sayin....

-Scott

EDIT: And Drew, please dont take this as any sort of insult or knock! Your kernel is truly top notch! I am very glad you took the time to tweak it the way you have. Why not just open it up? Let it roar!!!!!

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I see it like this.... If you had a brand new Corvette... That may or may not do 200MPH... but you would like to try just to see because you know you can simply slow down if it cant go that fast.... Would you want the dealer to put a governor on it for 100MPH because some other guy has issues driving at 200MPH?

I know that is not perfect analogy for obvious reasons but I think its similar enough to be relevant.

You know, if he doesn't compile for 846 then I will. I will compile for 900+ just to do it. Its not very hard at all to make that change.

Damn I love Open Source! Just sayin....

-Scott

EDIT: And Drew, please dont take this as any sort of insult or knock! Your kernel is truly top notch! I am very glad you took the time to tweak it the way you have. Why not just open it up? Let it roar!!!!!

I actually kind of like that analogy, makes total sense to me.

I'm actually juggling the idea of doing two kernels. One (the main one) will stay the same in regards to available overclocking frequencies and the other will be kind of an infinite beta of sorts, allowing frequencies up to 864 MHz (and maybe even 900 MHz for the more adventurous folks).

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I actually kind of like that analogy, makes total sense to me.

I'm actually juggling the idea of doing two kernels. One (the main one) will stay the same in regards to available overclocking frequencies and the other will be kind of an infinite beta of sorts, allowing frequencies up to 864 MHz (and maybe even 900 MHz for the more adventurous folks).
Like Nike... Just Do it! Maybe 900 is too high... but yeah, open it up!

lol

-Scott

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't know to many Optimis s that can go above 864.

Sent from my 2.3.3 Opti-rom W/1Gb internal storage
Always happy to help, Hit that thanks button if I did

So far none have because there hasn't been a kernel that supports it yet. The other thing about the super high OC frequencies is the voltage requirement goes up as well. I've been trying to find the voltage table but haven't had any luck so far.

MagicFan1

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
900 MHZ sounds yummy....... but I'm open to try something higher than 806, i'm currently running latest gROM with Drew's latest kernel.

Thanks Scott and Drew you guys are awesome!

twtippets

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I voted to keep it at 806, but I have since changed my mind, bump it up to 864 and if someone doesn't want it, then they can leave it how it is.

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Allow it to be bumped to the 864 and have the base speed of the kernel be stock speed. Just a nice fat red disclaimer about overclocking :cool:

On3wheels

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
personally, i want to see every available possibility open for use....why not? I am totally impressed that someone actually takes the time to not only ask if we could, but also, if we should. Quite commendable really, the responsible grownup thing to do. But for me this device isnt just a phone its a toy, like a corvette isnt just a car. Im the guy who has trouble not going 200...but that doesnt mean someone should stop me, cause i do it responsibly, like at a track and i know what im doing (yea right).

so while its not something ill use all the time, i do miss it when its gone. when my buddy pulls up in his new V8 Evo with fancy cameras and big "windscreen" that i couldnt afford, i like to be to flip a switch under the dash of my lil 4 banger optimus grocery-getter and show em what a free phone can do...

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
personally, i want to see every available possibility open for use....why not? I am totally impressed that someone actually takes the time to not only ask if we could, but also, if we should. Quite commendable really, the responsible grownup thing to do. But for me this device isnt just a phone its a toy, like a corvette isnt just a car. Im the guy who has trouble not going 200...but that doesnt mean someone should stop me, cause i do it responsibly, like at a track and i know what im doing (yea right).

so while its not something ill use all the time, i do miss it when its gone. when my buddy pulls up in his new V8 Evo with fancy cameras and big "windscreen" that i couldnt afford, i like to be to flip a switch under the dash of my lil 4 banger optimus grocery-getter and show em what a free phone can do...

I feel like this thread will lead to someone possibly incriminating themself. lmao!

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
when i voted i meant to hit the 864 and not 844. Sorry I was doing this on phone. I want full power! As Captin Kirk would say "Scotty I NEED more POWER"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech