[THEME] Gingerbread Ice Cream (Updated 11/23/2011)

scuzzy1

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
WARNING: THIS THEME IS VERY MUCH A WORK IN PROGRESS. ANY USE OF THE THEME PROVIDED IS DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY MALADIES THAT MAY AFFLICT YOUR PHONE DURING/AFTER USE OF THIS THEME. PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POST BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO USE THIS THEME. HAVE FUN ...

Update to v0.0.09

I think this will be that last "alpha" build. There are a few aesthetic issues that need to be ironed out, but otherwise, the main components of the theme are complete. Assuming nobody finds any major problems, the next release will essentially be a completed framework. If you can post any oddities, it would be super helpful, just please read the bug lists in post 2 so that the same thing isn't rehashed over and over.

This theme was/is being created to mimic the SDK version of Android ICS. The Optimus S appears to be essentially stock, so that's what I'm sticking with. Progress is a little slower than I anticipated, but I feel it's starting to come along nicely.

Please read the bug list in Post #2.

Feel free to tell me about details that I may have missed or any bugs that may be present. I didn't realize how many icons/features of the phone I had never seen before until I started poking around, so there's a good chance I've missed something that you use.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

PREREQUISITES
Please make a recovery backup before attempting to theme
1. Did you read the warning at the top of the post? No? Please read it now.
2. You need to be using a stock GB based ROM (ZVH baseband).
3. You must be rooted.
4. You must have custom recovery.
5. Did you make a recovery backup yet? Did I mention you should look over the warning at the top of this post?

Credits/Big Thanks
jstntp for explaining how to put SystemUI.apk back together and for providing the stockGB-noIQ theme and the installation guidelines

Last edited:

scuzzy1

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: [THEME] Gingerbread Ice Cream

ODDITIES/BUGS

1. The text for voicemail notrifications is unreadable.
For whatever reason voicemail notifications appear in all black text in the expanded status bar. I've poked around trying to figure it out, but haven't yet. I think I have a fix, I just need to implement it.

2. In some apps, some fonts haven't changed to a ICS font.
I don't think this is a bug so much as the way certain apps are programmed. For instance the fonts in Fancy Widgets change to their ICS versions, except for the main clock, which remains in Clockopia. I'm assuming the digits are either images or somehow the font is included within the app. Regardless, I don't believe this is something I can fix.

3. Depending on the number of lockscreen notifications (sound off, alarm at 12:00, etc.) the unlock circle can obscure the text.
A smaller unlock icon kind of ruins the effect, but it's an easy enough change. Unless someone can tell me how to move the clock/notifications on the lock screen to the upper left corner like ICS does. I've fixed the lockscreen tab sizes, so I'm going to tentatively say this bug has been squashed.

4. There are some oddities/problems perfectly emulating ICS popup, background, and text colors.
Just realized this affects text entered on black backgrounds. That needs to be fixed.
For now, I'm taking a conservative approach; rather than trying make everything exactly like ICS, there are a few parts and pieces that are "inspired" by ICS. I believe that relying on the core color values provided with a framework is a good programming practice, but it appears that some apps (including system apps) don't follow this guideline. So, for instance, if an app explicitly defines a text color as black, and all the backgrounds are black, you can't read any of the text in the app. I think at a later point in time, I may attempt to remedy this, but in all honesty, the task seems too daunting for the time being.

5. Some icons are strangely sized.
This is personal preference, but I find the some of the status bar icons entirely too big. Likewise, some of the menu icons are entirely too small. I'm settling on a happy medium for the next update.

6. Color and icon oddities within system apps.
Ugh. For whatever reason, some system apps rely on what .png resources are present in the framework and some don't, and some are in the middle. For the core system apps, I'm tentatively going to modify each app. Further updates will likely include these modified apps.

Last edited:

scuzzy1

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

UPDATE: theme-GIC-0.0.02-signed.zip

Don't get too excited, it's nothing too special. Please read the entirety of the first post before attempting to do anything.

scuzzy1

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

UPDATE: theme-GIC-0.0.03-signed.zip

Making themes is far trickier than I thought.

Please give any feedback, just check the bugs I've found in post 2 first.

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: theme-GIC-0.0.03-signed.zip

Making themes is far trickier than I thought.

+1 to this^

Not to many people realize how crazy it really is. Yes, some cool stuff can be done with theme kitchens like UOT, but to do a purely custom complete theme by hand......... well, that is truly another ballgame as you are starting to see.

Keep digging, I like where this one is going!

EDIT:
Not to discredit any work made in the UOT kitchen, it is a very useful awesome tool, which I still use for certain images in my themes. Like the battery for example, there are 200 alone just for that. I use the kitchen for those every time. ;)

Last edited:

uberjam545

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

cool, it'd look cooler if it was red but maybe their next version of android will be themed red, hmmm mabye i should switch to gb before i worry about that though :-\

mrgay

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

For some reason, while using gROM, the vibrate lockscreen button doesn't change to an ICS theme, it stays as the old button. Just a heads up. =)

scuzzy1

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

+1 to this^

Not to many people realize how crazy it really is. Yes, some cool stuff can be done with theme kitchens like UOT, but to do a purely custom complete theme by hand......... well, that is truly another ballgame as you are starting to see.

Keep digging, I like where this one is going!

EDIT:
Not to discredit any work made in the UOT kitchen, it is a very useful awesome tool, which I still use for certain images in my themes. Like the battery for example, there are 200 alone just for that. I use the kitchen for those every time. ;)

I didn't think it would be easy, but I thought it would be more straightforward. Some things are really easy to change and others really take some digging.

It keeps snowballing too. At first I just wanted to figure out the status bar and then stop, but now I'd like to do do the contacts and dialer.

I thought about using UOT kitchen for some of the basic parts, but it was harder to see it exactly how things were being changed. It is amazing that there is anything like it though.

mrgay said:
For some reason, while using gROM, the vibrate lockscreen button doesn't change to an ICS theme, it stays as the old button. Just a heads up. =)

Thanks for the info.

I don't believe I added a vibrate screen slider icon. I couldn't find an ICS equivalent, so I think I have to make one. Plus, I always turn off vibrate, so I didn't even notice it. The ICS jog dials I added for answering and declining phone calls are missing also. They must be controlled elsewhere. I'll take a look at it though. Honestly, I wish I could redo the entired lockscreen to be more like ICS, but I think it's all buried in a java file which is out of my league.

Unfortunately, I'm a little busy right now and I'm slowly figuring out how things work, so my updates are going to be at a snail's pace for the time being.

Thanks again for the feedback.

bamakore

May 24, 2011
Visit site
great work........thanks for the work with the theme...and look forward to future updates....until i get a galaxy nexus..lol.......one thing could you fix that nasty roaming flashing triangle...not sure if mom rom had that....cant remember..i know grom did and that thing is ugly

scuzzy1

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
great work........thanks for the work with the theme...and look forward to future updates....until i get a galaxy nexus..lol.......one thing could you fix that nasty roaming flashing triangle...not sure if mom rom had that....cant remember..i know grom did and that thing is ugly

Hmm. I've never actually seen the roaming triangle that you're talking about in action. Any chance you can take a screenshot of the triangle? Is it located in the status bar? It should be an easy fix, I just need to know what to look for.

bamakore

May 24, 2011
Visit site
yea its in the top status bar when you are roaming rather than the 3G icon...i will try to grab a screen shot but i only have one phone so it may take a bit to post it here......thanks for all your work

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084