[How-To] Rooting LS670ZVD/ZVH (100% automated) + ZVJ (automated)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Deez2000 for the original ZVH update.zip, drewwalton19216801 for the ZVD rooting writeup, zefie for Xionia CWMA, scrosler for encouragement and gROM, jstntp for GingerBread themes, iBowToAndroid for ZVD installer, Revolutionary for the exploit, Denys Vlasenko for busybox, ChainsDD for su
19889d1325552655-how-rooting-ls670zvh-100-automated-no-revert-wipe-needed-root-opti-1.jpg

If you are looking to get ROOTED ZVJ, see [this thread]

This guide is for directly rooting ZVD/ZVH Android for the LG Optimus S using a 100% automated script.
It will install persistent root, busybox, and Xionia CWMA Recovery.
If you prefer a GUI install (just root, not Xionia CWMA Recovery) try this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...ck-root-sons-korhal-root-utility-1-0-1-a.html

This assumes you ALREADY HAVE ZVD or ZVH installed (ZVD / ZVH update.zip in Reference section below)

See these for alternate/past rooting guides: ZVC/ZVD [GingerSnap] [GingerBreak] - ZV8/ZV9 [z4root]
If you are already rooted on a version prior to ZVH (ie ZV8, ZV9, ZVC, ZVD), you can use this guide to update to ZVH and root.
Alternatively you could update to ZVH on your own, then use the automated routine in this post.

With respect to which method to use, the guide to update to ZVH and root always works (as long as you follow the directions) but is more steps (and you would need to revert to ZVD if you already have ZVH). The exploit used in this guide might not hit the first try (may need to reboot and try again) but there is only one automated step. It usually works on the first or second try, but can take more. It will eventually work.

0) Backup anything important
With this particular procedure there is very little chance something bad will happen, but it is good practice to backup before making any changes.

1) Pre-requisites Checklist
SD card is INSERTED
USB Debugging is ENABLED - [Menu->Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging]
USB Storage Mode is OFF - [Drag down the notification bar and tap on "USB Connected", should be GREEN]
LG USB/Android drivers are INSTALLED - [See Reference Section D1 (below)]
Phone is connected to USB port and recognized
Phone is turned ON
Phone screen is UNLOCKED

2) Download the Optimus automated rooting package
NEW: Even easier self-extractor for windows (Just run .exe - SKIP Unzip and Step #3) [optiauto-sfx.exe]
Download the Optimus automated rooting package [optiauto.zip] [archive - do NOT use (unless instructed)]
UNZIP to top-level directory of your C: drive

Note #1: zergrush is a known exploit being used to root your phone. Your Anti-Virus software may quarantine or cause the download to be incomplete. Disable your Anti-Virus software if needed so the download can complete.

3) Run the Optimus automated rooting package (Mac/Linux see Reference Section B)
From PC command prompt, run "runfirst" and select Option A (will install persistent root and Xionia CWMA recovery):
(if you have an aversion to typing, you can use file explorer to navigate to C:\optiauto and double-click on RUNFIRST.bat)

Note #1 - You may see a message in your notification bar saying "SD card safe to remove", this is expected, please IGNORE
Note #2 - If you get stuck waiting for the phone to connect, REBOOT your phone AND PC and try again.
c:
cd \optiauto
runfirst

4) You are DONE!
See Reference Section A for things you can try with your newly installed persistent root and Xionia CWMA custom recovery. To unroot, redo Step #3, use Option B

Note #1 - Keep in mind, should you CHOOSE to run "su", you MIGHT be prompted for permissions on the phone's screen the first time it is run. If you don't realize that, you'll get "permission denied" and think the root didn't work. Make sure your phone is NOT on the lock screen or you won't see the prompt. It is NOT required that you run "su". You ARE ROOTED regardless.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH (automated, no revert needed)

Reference Section

A) What's next? (requires ZVH)
GingerBread Themes
Install some nice themes to give your phone a fresh look, compatible with stock and gROM.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...9426-themes-optimus-s-gingerbread-themes.html

gROM
This is a nice clean ROM with bloat removed and just enough enhancements to be useful.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...85-rom-grom-2-2-10-16-gb-flash-yes-flash.html

Opti-ROM
Newest ROM collaboration between beezy, drewwalton19216801, jondevere, and basketthis
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...-built-apps2sd-storage-management-ocable.html

YOUR-MOM-ROM
Designed to be simple to use, jam-packed with all kinds of goodies, ultra bloat-removed.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...om-your-mom-rom-v-1-1-updated-11-27-11-a.html

GingerKernel
Use this if you want to add OC and other kernel goodies to your current ROM.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...kernel-v08-1-oc-double-tapping-bug-fixed.html

B) ALTERNATE - ZVD / ZVH manual rooting instructions (substitute for Step #3)
Install the rooting files to the phone and start adb shell
c:
cd \optiauto
install
adb shell

Note #1 - If you are on Mac or Linux, the previous "install" step just copies some files to the phone. Unzip the package to your adb tools directory, then you can substitute with:
adb push copy2tmp /data/local/tmp/
adb push copy2sd /sdcard/
adb push copy2sd-img /sdcard/
adb shell

Run the exploit (do not type the $ symbols)
$ cd /data/local/tmp
$ /system/bin/sh install-zerg.sh

This exploit depends on a condition that doesn't always hit. Check the output of the exploit above. If you see
[-] Zerglings did not leave interesting stuff
Then the exploit failed and you will NEED TO REBOOT and repeat the previous steps starting from "adb shell"

If you see
[+] Rush did it ! It's a GG, man !
Then the exploit was successful and you can continue.

Your adb shell should now have the # prompt indicating temporary root. Proceed to install persistent root, Xionia CWMA recovery and cleanup the temp rooting files, followed by rebooting the phone (do not type the # symbols)
# cd /sdcard/000root
# /system/bin/sh install-root.sh
# /system/bin/sh install-recovery-xionia.sh
# /system/bin/sh install-cleanup.sh
# reboot

C) Included scripts
Included in the Optimus automated rooting package are various scripts which make life easier.

In particular, scripts are included to:
- install persistent root
- install xionia cwma recovery
- install stock VD recovery
- uninstall root (unroot)

The general pattern to run all these scripts is the same (pick which .sh you want to run to accomplish your goal, BOLD scripts would undo Xionia Recovery and unroot):

Open an adb shell session to your phone (do not type the $ and # symbols)
$ su
# cd /sdcard/000root
# /system/bin/sh install-root.sh
# /system/bin/sh install-recovery-xionia.sh
# /system/bin/sh install-recovery-vd.sh
# /system/bin/sh install-unroot.sh
# exit
$ exit

D) Resources
d1) LG LS670 drivers [USB][Android]
d2) Factory reset from within Stock Recovery
d3) Full ZVD update.zip (works from any version)
d4) Minimal download for Recoveries and Installers (unpack to SD card)
d5) Simplified UNROOT and return to STOCK
d6) Revert to V9 using KP500
d7) Un-Brick method for SOME forms of brick
d8) Archive of old ZVH rooting directions [archive 1] [archive 2]
d9) ZVD update.zip [mirror1] [mirror2] [MD5: 2db9b55305cff37a6b6e402fb8518acf] [Size: 88,007,618]
d10) ZVH update.zip [mirror 1] [mirror2] [MD5: ca513fcb26917a01ea126948fa811565] [Size: 96,288,571]
d11) ZVJ update.zip [mirror1] [mirror2] [mirror3] [mirror4] [MD5: 305bf7cce30f66a947be845696d1122b] [Size: 97,894,782]
d12) [How-To] Install stock/custom recovery
d13) Past rooting guides: ZVH [Previously Rooted->Rooted ZVH] ZVC/ZVD [GingerSnap] [GingerBreak] - ZV8/ZV9 [z4root]

Last edited:

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH (automated, no revert/wipe needed)

You beat me to it. I was literally about to write a guide on this very exploit. Good form, good form. Huzzah!

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Theoretically this should work for ZVD also but I had to return the phone I borrowed so didn't have time to test it. It would be great if someone could test that.

You can do the testing in a way which makes *no changes* to your current installation (you don't have to unroot or anything) by substituting the "Manual rooting instructions" in the reference section for Step #3, then just run the exploit (install-zerg.sh) to confirm you get temporary root, but don't run the install scripts.

Last edited:
Reactions: noisy.ant

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site

Just so you guys know, I am currently developing a one-click for this exploit. It will not be Gingersnap, rather an entirely new utility.

StarCraft nerds will rejoice.

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

Just so you guys know, I am currently developing a one-click for this exploit. It will not be Gingersnap, rather an entirely new utility.

StarCraft nerds will rejoice.

Sounds great. Hopefully whatever exploit this uses won't get patched when Sprint/LG put out the updated (read: fixed) ZVH ROM (supposedly sometime in late November/early December according to the latest reports.)

LACAGuy

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

Whoopee!!! I can't wait for the one click root!

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Whoopee!!! I can't wait for the one click root!
While you are waiting, why don't you test the fully automated install out.

All you type is "install-auto" and the scripts do the rest. Hard to get easier than that.

You can theoretically do it without a PC as well, but you'll need to follow the manual instructions, which are also greatly simplified from the past since scripts are again doing most of the work.

Reactions: doowsemaj

LACAGuy

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

sfhub,

I haven't the slightest idea of what to do. I do understand the concept, but you have to understand that I've never done this. I don't know how to backup my files. I was always under the impression that you have to be rooted in order to have Titanium backup.

I understand that you have step by step instructions. I'm a visual kind of guy and have to see it in order to apply it better.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I just put the backup step as a general warning. In this case, the chances of damage are very very small, almost non-existent, so you can skip that step.

Step 2 is basically download a file and unzip it (you would also need to download the one-click solution)

Step 3 is just a checklist to verify (you would need the same checklist for one-click solution)

Step 4 just navigate to the c:\zvhauto directory and double-click on install-auto.bat

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site

I did like in the former zvh rooting threads that you offered scripts for also installing xionia too, just a thought.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I did like in the former zvh rooting threads that you offered scripts for also installing xionia too, just a thought.
The same scripts are included here as well. They just get run automatically for you. If you look in the "manual install" reference section, you can see the commands to run the scripts by hand.

I included the scripts to (same as the previous rooting thread)
1) install persistent root
2) install xionia
3) install stock vd recovery
4) unroot

If you run "install-auto" it will do #1 and #2 for you automatically via the included scripts.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Ok, I added Reference Section C to explain how to run the scripts.

Donx510

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site

Wait, so does this exploit work if i'm running a rooted ZVD and want to upgrade to a rooted ZVH?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Wait, so does this exploit work if i'm running a rooted ZVD and want to upgrade to a rooted ZVH?
Yes it will work. You just need to upgrade to ZVH first. In your scenario you can use either the previous method or the new automated method. As to which to choose, that is covered in the 2nd paragraph.
If you are already rooted on a version prior to ZVH (ie ZV8, ZV9, ZVC, ZVD), you can use this guide to update to ZVH and root.
Alternatively you could update to ZVH on your own (see reference section for ZVH update.zip), then use the automated routine in this post.

With respect to which method to use, the guide to update to ZVH and root always works (as long as you follow the directions) but is more steps (and you would need to revert to ZVD if you already have ZVH). The exploit used in this guide might not hit the first try (may need to reboot and try again) but there is only one automated step. It usually works on the first or second try, but can take more. It will eventually work.
Personally in your scenario I think it would be easier to follow the previous directions because they cover restoring stock recovery (which is necessary for upgrading to ZVH properly) as well as upgrading to ZVH and finally rooting. The link to the previous method is provided in the first paragraph.

However, you are welcome to try either method.

If you are already on ZVH then definitely this method is easier.

Last edited:

mrcloudfighter

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

go im trying to get this to work but my phone wont show the message "su".

its not locked im doing everything u told me.. idk wats happening. wat do i do

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

go im trying to get this to work but my phone wont show the message "su".

its not locked im doing everything u told me.. idk wats happening. wat do i do
Could you say what step you are doing and/or post the output?

Are you running the automated script? Did it complete successfully? If so, your phone would have rebooted. You are actually already rooted. The first time a program asks for root permissions, a prompt will show up on your screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: LACAGuy

LACAGuy

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

It worked! I am now rooted. A special thanks to SF Hub to help me with the process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12