question about Data/Apps/Link2SD and beyond...

On3wheels

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
ok, ive looked around a bit but cant seem to find what im looking for. I know HOW to set up data2ext and all that, lots of great tutorials here. But what about WHAT it does? If all the apps are stored in the internal memory (165MB) normally...then what happens to that space after i enable data2ext? is it still used? it seems like the app2sd stores a large portion of the app and data on the sdcard, whats the advantage to using data2ext? thanks for your time and assistance.

illinoissparks18

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Ya data2ext makes your phone think the sd card is the internal storage system. Make sure you know it works with your rom because it isnt compatitble with all types of roms. It really just increases your phone memory! Its a great tweak.

On3wheels

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
But what becomes of the internal storage and would a class 10 sd card be as fast as the internal memory? I guesses what I'm getting at is, is it worth using data 2 ext if I'm not running out of space?

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
More or less, it sets up an EXT4 partition on the SD card and turns on journaling, puts a sym link to the partition in the actual internal /cache partition for extended space, then pushes the cache and dalvik cache into the new partition as well. All fine and dandy until you wipe the internal /cache partition when flashing something new and your shiny link gets hosed.

I think I'll be looking into the Dark Tremors mod some more. I had used the Data2SD mod that the_maplebar described on this forum and it is a cute hack, but completely half-assed when considering how we may use or alter our devices. No offense to those who have explained it or used it, but it is not very well thought out. If you use the recovery to wipe the cache or dalvik cache as most ROM's and mods direct, you may find what is left of your system a broken mess. I did this and played around with it quite a bit tonight, backing up a Reborn install with this mod so as to try out TheKraven's CM7. It only complicated matters. Performing the process again fixed some things, but still evaporated some apps and created some FC's. I suppose if you have committed to a ROM install, then it will work fine, but if you expect to hop, then maybe consider other options.

And to answer your question more directly, what happened on my device is that the internal memory somehow filled up so that 10MB remained and a bunch of things that I did not expect went to the EXT partition. Either way, I know that my explanation is rudimentary and I wouldn't mind at all if someone could provide more details as to how it works.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilsgutkowski