How do I root? NEW USER

Fame Killz

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a windows PC and I'm getting my LG Optimus S on WED.

First time Android user too, how do I hack my phone and what's the best stuff] to put on it?

Please help in detail, this will be my first Android phone !! :D

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
What you are going to NEED to do is some research. Read the stickies at the top of this forum page, and when you are done........ read them again. All the info you need is right here. A lot of people have put forth great efforts to provide great instructions and tutorials on this subject.

Here is a quick list of the steps you will take to "hack" your phone:

-RESEARCH
-Root
-Custom Recovery
-Backup your stock system
-Flash Custom ROM
-Enjoy!!

Reactions: pergerson6

Fame Killz

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
What you are going to NEED to do is some research. Read the stickies at the top of this forum page, and when you are done........ read them again. All the info you need is right here. A lot of people have put forth great efforts to provide great instructions and tutorials on this subject.

Here is a quick list of the steps you will take to "hack" your phone:

-RESEARCH
-Root
-Custom Recovery
-Backup your stock system
-Flash Custom ROM
-Enjoy!!

jeez, all that? is there one page of info that can provide with a walkthrough or steps?

My last phone was a palm pixi, it was really easy to hack that and do stuff with it, if I can't do it easily I don't wanna take the risk, is hacking the same thing as "gingerbreading" or added the latest version of android? or what

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If you can't get past the first step, you will likely end up with issues.

The rooting ZVH thread will give you root and custom recovery in a single automated step.

Beyond that all that was suggest is you backup and flash a rom.

Don't see how that can be seen as complicated.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Above all else, remember that what you are doing:
A) Can brick your phone, rendering it unusable
B) Can cause a nuclear World War III

Keep these in mind and research as much as possible before attempting anything. I cannot begin to tell you how many people have severely crippled their devices because they failed to do some basic reading on the matter.

Also, if you have any questions about certain steps of whichever guide or method you decide to use, please please ask before doing! The best defense is a good offense...or something like that.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I have the perfect answer to the question which requires absolutely no experience in hacking phones.

Buy the tapatalk app from the market so you can read as many forums and threads and posts as possible before you do anything. That's my best advice. Knowledge is power.

Fame Killz

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
what android system does the Optimus S come with? and can I just upgrade it to the latest android firmware? I really don't wanna hack it because I know I'll mess up.

shockdude

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
what android system does the Optimus S come with? and can I just upgrade it to the latest android firmware? I really don't wanna hack it because I know I'll mess up.

the optimus s comes with either android 2.2 froyo (known here as version ZVD, or just ZVD) or android 2.3 gingerbread (version ZVH, or just ZVH). ZVH is the latest version, but it was pulled due to severe bugs that affected many, but not all, users.
rooting is not needed to switch between the two versions, though you will need to install them using the "recovery menu". instructions to access the recovery menu can be found using google (i forgot how).

btw there are several one-click rooting utilities here that can do the majority of the work for you, but research is still highly recommended.

docgoat1987

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
always before ya start messing around do your research and always after rooting and flashing your recovery make a back up of your current system i sometimes forget to and if ya dont you got to find something as stock as stock can be and the backups help cause if you do mess something up you can always revert back to what you had its kinda like system restore in windows if ya have a problem do a system restore and its back to normal

if you have gingerbread use this to root
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...0zvh-100-automated-no-revert-wipe-needed.html

if you got froyo or 2.2.2 or zvd baseband use this
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...d-gingerbreak-no-reverting-ota-works-too.html

use this to flash recovery for froyo
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...covery-xionia-clockwork-cwma-v1-2518-6-a.html

the gingerbread rooting instructions also have an option to flash recovery

and flashing roms is pretty easy download the rom from AC put it on your memory card( DONT UNZIP THE FILE TO YOUR CARD) turn your phone off hold home button, volume up button and the power button till the lg screen appears and release when it disappears it will be a black screen for a lil bit

then go down to install zip from sdcard select the rom you want on your sd card click it using your menu button select yes let it install it will say install complete

then hit you back button select wipe data/ factory reset wait for that to say complete
then select wipe cache partion wait for that to complete
then select advanced > then wipe dalvic cache select yes wait for that to complete

then hit back and select reboot and your done

Evilgoose

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Hello sorry for this being my first time post but I've been searching for a while now about what it means to backup the stock system. As far as I've been able to find it's called making a nandroid but when I look for more info I find nothing. I've come to the idea that installing Xionia is what allows me to create the system backup. Am I right in believing this and if so what steps do I take to make the backup? I have yet to find a clear answer to this on this forum or through the all mighty powers of google. Any help is appreciated :-[

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Hello sorry for this being my first time post but I've been searching for a while now about what it means to backup the stock system. As far as I've been able to find it's called making a nandroid but when I look for more info I find nothing. I've come to the idea that installing Xionia is what allows me to create the system backup. Am I right in believing this and if so what steps do I take to make the backup? I have yet to find a clear answer to this on this forum or through the all mighty powers of google. Any help is appreciated :-[

You are correct. Once xionia is installed, boot into recovery and there is an option for backup and restore. You choose that and choose the one you want. It is as easy as that

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Evilgoose

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I heard there's ways to just click one button and have your phone hacked?

Listen I don't mean to sound like a broken record here, but what you really need to do is take some time and read through this forum thoroughly. Do the research yourself, it will benefit you personally more than you know.

Trust me, everything I have learned has been right here or at least started here in this very forum.

hubbdubb26

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I have a quick question as I am new to all this info, what is the point in all this stuff? What things are you able to do and put on your phone after this is done?
Thanks!

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Hacking is for those who have at least some knowledge of how things work. This knowledge comes from either curiosity preempting action or necessity predicated on action, and sometimes both. In other words:
Read and learn before doing to mitigate trouble, or do and learn that it may be too late.

This is like the third post this week where all I want to say is "RTFF. If you want me to do it for you, send me the device, a signed written consent, a SASE and $50."

shockdude

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a quick question as I am new to all this info, what is the point in all this stuff? What things are you able to do and put on your phone after this is done?
Thanks!

more internal storage space
move more apps to sd card
backups of everything on the phone
removal of pre-installed bloatware
overclocking
custom roms made by awesome developers
adobe flash player
overall better performance & battery life
button remapping
mods and themes
wifi tethering