OpenGarden AND W.T. for root users are Not working!! I HAVE ROOT!

PatrickAkridge

"The Button Pusher"
Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Hello guys! I have a little bit of a problem and I need you guys to help me out with it...

I installed the GB update for the Optimus S back in September and I got tired of not having root, so when a Froyo Official downgrade became available, I used the method to downgrade back to Froyo. I am in Froyo and I have root access (Acquired with Gingerbreak). The problem is that I can not tether my phone.. well, I have two tether applications installed... One is called "OpenGarden" and the other (the most popular tether app), "Wireless Tether for Root Users (WTFRU)". My Mac with OS X Tiger is reading the SSID, but is not connecting to the Internet through them (It is appearing as an Ad-Hoc network)...

I know how to connect via an Ad-Hoc network, but the apps have NO options to switch it to a plain access point. I've played with EVERYTHING in the two applications, even granted Su permissions about four times.. nothing has worked. I NEED this tether application to work, and I can't pay Sprint's prices for a hotspot. Can you guys help me out here??

OpenGarden is in the Market, but WTFRU is not in the market any longer. You have to go to their Google page to download the app. I've got the LATEST stable version of WTFRU and the current version of OpenGarden. The su binary is at its latest to, and I have FULL access to all of the other root apps that I have.. The tether app says that it is tethering successfully, however, I have access control on and the phone is not pulling up my Mac in the Access Control panels, in either app! I don't know that if its my Mac or the phone, but nothing is working.

On my Mac, I believe I am using Firefox 3.6... Because of the fact that I have a PPC Binary.

vapore0n

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: OpenGarden AND W.T. for root users are Not working!! I HAVE R

Strange. I use OpenGarden and it works great, as a access point.

One thing about this software is that you cant set up phrases for passwords.
Default password is abcdefghijklm
I tried using a phrase, like "I like my phone" and it would not work.

I do use it on my windows PCs though.

Is OpenGarden asking for root access when it connects? If not, then its not working right.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1270806

Try that. It does need to be configured. Under settings change device profile choose Optimus s and under change setup method choose wext for advocate and nedt for infrastructure mode. Word of warning, this does work, but when shutting down it will force reboot your phone (next mode only, adhoc is stable) .

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
OP, you need to flash a custom froyo Rom in order to WiFi tether. If your using the stock Rom but its rooted, that's not going to work. I recommend Reborn Rom or Shell Rom. With those there is a widget named Hotspot Widget which works great.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
OP, you need to flash a custom froyo Rom in order to WiFi tether. If your using the stock Rom but its rooted, that's not going to work. I recommend Reborn Rom or Shell Rom. With those there is a widget named Hotspot Widget which works great.

I did not know that! Learn something new everyday. I jumped ship from stock froyo almost immediately.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

mcasas

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

Also to reply about hotspot widget after you turn it on you can acess the settings.you have to turn it on first with the widget

PatrickAkridge

"The Button Pusher"
Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for all of your help guys....

OpenGarden is not working... It requested root access and I gave it root access (with the new superuser app from the market)... It pulled up on my Mac, but no go.. I finally turned to a stable version of W.T. for Root Users.. I got it to work, however it still pulls up as an ad-hoc network. And frankly, I AM using a Stock Sprint FroYo Rom.. In "About Phone", the Android version as stated is "2.2.2".

Anyways, I got tether to work on the stock rom, but I am looking to switch roms... Can any rom be applied w/o custom recovery? I have busybox and stock recovery.. but I hate adb and I am trying to find a way to flash clockworkmod recovery on my Optimus.

Suggestions?

PatrickAkridge

"The Button Pusher"
Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

I've got the stable version... I think it is set to auto....

But, yes.. it does shut down the phone... the only thing I can get to work right now is the ad-hoc option... it sucks but it works...

Thanks!

vapore0n

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site

OpenGarden is not working... It requested root access and I gave it root access (with the new superuser app from the market)... It pulled up on my Mac, but no go.. I finally turned to a stable version of W.T. for Root Users.. I got it to work, however it still pulls up as an ad-hoc network. And frankly, I AM using a Stock Sprint FroYo Rom.. In "About Phone", the Android version as stated is "2.2.2".

Anyways, I got tether to work on the stock rom, but I am looking to switch roms... Can any rom be applied w/o custom recovery? I have busybox and stock recovery.. but I hate adb and I am trying to find a way to flash clockworkmod recovery on my Optimus.

Suggestions?

Im running 2.3 G-rom and OpenGarden just works. I just configure the AP name and the password and thats it.

Id strongly suggest getting a custom recovery and xionia clockwork. Get that done before anything. Once installed, make a backup. Installing roms will be really easy after that.

jasthomas

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

Suggestions?
READ THE STICKIES!!! do not flash clockwork ! AT ALL!! i dont mean to sound mean but it will save you a world of hurt when bricking your phone! just follow some easy instructions in the stickies to install everything! please do not even try clockwork!

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
READ THE STICKIES!!! do not flash clockwork ! AT ALL!! i dont mean to sound mean but it will save you a world of hurt when bricking your phone! just follow some easy instructions in the stickies to install everything! please do not even try clockwork!

Just to clarify, xionia is based on clockwork. That is the recovery you want. You just wantvto stay away from Rom Manager and its version of clockwork.

If you want to install xionia recovery, you could use the zvh rooting tool. It has an option to only install xionia recovery. If you think you want to go that route, i would post over there, as i dont know if anyone has actually used it from the zvd baseband. Here is the link.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=1381615

Last edited:

mobius1484

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

One thing you could do is put the files on your SD card and use terminal emulator and flash it that way. Though it is about the same as having used ADB. I would definitely flash xionia though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol