PLEASE HELP! Want to learn Android in and out

aaronrw

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Don't want to cheat or copy off the gurus here but maybe some links or suggestions from the best Android Devs out there? Anything is appreciated. :p

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Here are a few things to get you started
download the android SDK. Follow this guide to install it

Installing the SDK | Android Developers

Once that is done follow this excellent guide written by Drewwalton

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/79208-how-rooting-ls670zvd-gingerbreak-no-reverting-ota-works-too.html

This guide will show you how to root your phone, as well as install a custom recovery, and Nandroid backup. the OptimusRootZVD.zip is attatched at the bottom of the post, that was a little confusing for me for a minute i couldnt find the file. other than that all other neccesary files are linked to in the guide.

once your done with that you should be well on your way, you can flash custom roms now by simply putting the zip on your SD card and flashing it from within the custom recovery.

hope this helps

P.S i would like to pay homage to all the developers of not only the custom work, but to this forum, and other like it. a valuble resource indeed.

Allso the forums on android forums are a good resource

LG Optimus S - Android Forums

**edit** i may have misunderstood your question....not sure

Last edited:

aaronrw

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Here are a few things to get you started
download the android SDK. Follow this guide to install it

Installing the SDK | Android Developers

Once that is done follow this excellent guide written by Drewwalton

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...d-gingerbreak-no-reverting-ota-works-too.html

This guide will show you how to root your phone, as well as install a custom recovery, and Nandroid backup. the OptimusRootZVD.zip is attatched at the bottom of the post, that was a little confusing for me for a minute i couldnt find the file. other than that all other neccesary files are linked to in the guide.

once your done with that you should be well on your way, you can flash custom roms now by simply putting the zip on your SD card and flashing it from within the custom recovery.

hope this helps

P.S i would like to pay homage to all the developers of not only the custom work, but to this forum, and other like it. a valuble resource indeed.

Allso the forums on android forums are a good resource

LG Optimus S - Android Forums

**edit** i may have misunderstood your question....not sure

I really would like to get a grasp of the whole OS and how to talk to it. Maybe make a Rom for personal use, etc. Any books or literature , resources and or advice really. Just a guy addicted now. And thanks for the help:D

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
From my endevours the sdk and all the resources on it gives understanding an control over the os, i saw an app that allows you to manipulate your droid from the computer through a web browser an the usb witch seems like it might b quite usefull

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, there is not one magical guide to learn the ins and outs of Android. However, there are countless resources spread across the interwebs. My recomendation would be to start small and use self teaching methods (Google) to gain a thorough understanding of Android OS. Here is a list of topics you should learn in numerical order in my opinion.

1. Rooting, SDK, flashing roms, recoveries, kernels.
2. Learn to theme.
3. Learn to put together ROMs.
4. Learn to compile kernels.
5. Learn to compile Android.

And most importantly, have fun with it! Just don't expect to learn everything in a week or to be spoon fed information. I hope this helps.

aaronrw

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok I am SO glad to see advice popping up on this thread as to the fact that I've seen more and more folks asking pretty much the same questions. Again thanks to everyone here for feeding my addiction:eek:

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
i liked your post, the order you put down was exaxtly the order i am going in. just this morning i was looking for information on how to theme, an was not very successfull. first i tried just takeing a go launcher theme an extracting out a .png an making it blue instead of green making sure not to mess up the transparency. i then took my edited icon an droped it back in the apk with winrar i jus did .zip normal compresion then renamed it from zip to apk, it seemed to work fine however when i tried installing the .apk it failed to install.. i thought this would work but it looks like i got somthing wrong.

i was wondering i you could point me in the direction of how to edit themes, that seems like the first step then creation of a new one. allso on how to compile an .apk somthing tells me i got it all wrong

thanks

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
i liked your post, the order you put down was exaxtly the order i am going in. just this morning i was looking for information on how to theme, an was not very successfull. first i tried just takeing a go launcher theme an extracting out a .png an making it blue instead of green making sure not to mess up the transparency. i then took my edited icon an droped it back in the apk with winrar i jus did .zip normal compresion then renamed it from zip to apk, it seemed to work fine however when i tried installing the .apk it failed to install.. i thought this would work but it looks like i got somthing wrong.

i was wondering i you could point me in the direction of how to edit themes, that seems like the first step then creation of a new one. allso on how to compile an .apk somthing tells me i got it all wrong

thanks

Get 7zip for sure. 7zip handles apk files like a zip file. You don't need to rezip anything. If you have 7zip you can just drop your png in its folder. At this point you need to determine if you need to sign your file or not. /system files don't get signed. /data files do. In your case (go launcher theme) you need to sign your apk. Here is a tool for signing files I Created Auto-Sign app for update.zip and Launcher.apk! :possibly abandoned! - xda-developers

aaronrw

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
After all the research I have even MORE respect for all that put effort into making these phones do these amazing things

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
After all the research I have even MORE respect for all that put effort into making these phones do these amazing things

It does indeed take many hours of work. From writing code to smali editing (which can be a major PITA), and many builds that fail to boot. It can get pretty nuts sometimes.

But when you finally release something and people whom you have never met in real life use and enjoy something you've done, it is a really great feeling.

aaronrw

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
It does indeed take many hours of work. From writing code to smali editing (which can be a major PITA), and many builds that fail to boot. It can get pretty nuts sometimes.

But when you finally release something and people whom you have never met in real life use and enjoy something you've done, it is a really great feeling.

Yeah i can only imagine how many folks out there are kicking themselves for not rooting/flashing their phones from the get go. I know I am :mad:
And can't wait for hydroRom.

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
@nick7 thank you for your reply, i would have never thought that 7 zip would handle .apks an winrar would not anyhow thank you much. seems like i had the basic consept correct but not my execution. ill see how it works more in depth after work, ill post back to share my findings

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Word from the wise, try to get into using a Linux build on your computer. It will make working with android much more seamless and much less painstaking. Just remember, Linux is case-sensitive and doesn't recognize spaces in the filenames and you will be good. Lol. ;) Good luck with your ventures. Indeed it takes much work. Sometimes, more work than a full-time job!

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Word from the wise, try to get into using a Linux build on your computer. It will make working with android much more seamless and much less painstaking. Just remember, Linux is case-sensitive and doesn't recognize spaces in the filenames and you will be good. Lol. ;) Good luck with your ventures. Indeed it takes much work. Sometimes, more work than a full-time job!
^^ What he said. Not to start an OS war, but there are so many advantages to running Linux when tinkering with Android, such as:
  • You don't need to worry about installing drivers for every device you connect.
  • You don't even need to install the SDK, just run it from the desktop.
  • Knowing the file structure makes it much easier to find things in Android.

Reactions: aaronrw

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
^^ What he said. Not to start an OS war, but there are so many advantages to running Linux when tinkering with Android, such as:
  • You don't need to worry about installing drivers for every device you connect.
  • You don't even need to install the SDK, just run it from the desktop.
  • Knowing the file structure makes it much easier to find things in Android.

+1 to that.

Also, I've found that Windows likes to screw things up horribly when working with Android ROMs, kernels, etc. Actually, you can't even build an Android kernel on Windows, nor can you compile CM7. Personally the easiest Linux distribution to use for the purpose of Android hackery is Ubuntu, but maybe I'm just biased :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21