1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Default Problem installing market apps (dalvik cache related). Help!

Hello,

For about a month now I have been having a problem with downloading/updating apps from the android marketplace. I often get "insufficient space" or "package file invalid" when trying to install or update. I have done significant amounts of research and no matter what I do I still can't fix this. I have tried different ROMs and have come to realize it is my phone and not the ROM. One suggestion was to install the market fix app that moves the dalvik cache to my sd card. This worked originally and now it doesn't work.

One thing that I noticed that I feel is the cause is the fact that it says I can only have 6mb of dalvik cache free at any time. In the attached screenshot I ran "df" in the terminal to show the space of each folder (dalvik, cache, etc). You will that the size of my dalvik cache is 124M and that only 6MB is free. Even if I clear my dalvik cache this 6MB is all that remains. If I install small apps from the market (say 1mb) it seems to install.

ANY assistance is much appreciated as my phone is unable to be updated or add in new apps

-Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Problem installing market apps (dalvik cache related). Help!-snap20111212_142255.png  

ROM
    CleanROM ICS

Default Re: Problem installing market apps (dalvik cache related). Help!

Get the full version of titanium back up, you can integrate it into ROM, or what I did, DL link 2sd from market, link the apps that you don't use ONA regular basis
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

I've noticed that this thread has a lot of views and no replies. I posted here since this problem is occurring on my optimus s. If anybody in the optimus s forum is unable to assist but knows of another forum/area that may be beneficial could you please send me in that direction? Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Posted this at the same time as jmrwbilly. Thanks for the reply!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmrwbilly View Post
    Get the full version of titanium back up, you can integrate it into ROM, or what I did, DL link 2sd from market, link the apps that you don't use ONA regular basis
    I've tried to integrate the dalvik cache into the ROM through TB and didn't have any results. I also tried link2sd and had no results.

ROM
    kravens alpha15f CM9

Try data2ext?

ROM
    CleanROM ICS

I did see a thread not long ago on here to move your cache a only to ext...may be a option, I just get nervous moving all to sd, the stress on the card can kill it quicker

ROM
    Stock

I just started having the same issue, I'd sure like to see a fix.
    AC Citizen

ROM
    Cm7/Cm9/Cm10

Cool Re: Problem installing market apps (dalvik cache related). Help!

If you downloaded apps from file sharing sites delete those than download titanium backup from market i did this and it worked just fine or if you have cm7 rom get rid of that and return to factory settings this worked for me

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

The reason is that your ROM linked /data/dalvik-cache to /cache, which you can see by the identical usage for those 2 lines in df. If clearing /cache in recovery isn't doing it for you, your only option is to start uninstalling unneeded apps and afterwards going into recovery and clearing /cache.

The system needs the dalvik cache, and if cleared, it will repopulate the cache from the apk files during boot. So the only way to downsize it is, unfortunately, have less apps installed.

-- Starfox
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonny5449 View Post
    If you downloaded apps from file sharing sites delete those than download titanium backup from market i did this and it worked just fine or if you have cm7 rom get rid of that and return to factory settings this worked for me
    I do have 1 file shared download. I also was on cm7 when this started and I recently moved to your-mom-rom (based on 2.3) but still noticed the problem. Also, I do currently use titanium backup full.

Quote Originally Posted by starfox View Post
    The reason is that your ROM linked /data/dalvik-cache to /cache, which you can see by the identical usage for those 2 lines in df. If clearing /cache in recovery isn't doing it for you, your only option is to start uninstalling unneeded apps and afterwards going into recovery and clearing /cache.

The system needs the dalvik cache, and if cleared, it will repopulate the cache from the apk files during boot. So the only way to downsize it is, unfortunately, have less apps installed.

-- Starfox
    I see what you mean. I cleared my cache and now a majority of my apps disappeared. What is the cause of this? Also, is it possible to unlink the dalvik-cache to the regular cache?

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snipsta View Post
    I see what you mean. I cleared my cache and now a majority of my apps disappeared. What is the cause of this? Also, is it possible to unlink the dalvik-cache to the regular cache?
    Ummm, you didn't delete /cache while booted did you? The reason why it was linked to /cache is because otherwise it would just use space in /data which you don't have the capacity either from the df you posted.

-- Starfox
    Advisor

I have been using data2ext for about a year now, never had a problem and with over 50 apps installed from the market. Just make sure you use a good quality sd card and should be fine.

sent from my CM7/Reborn w/ 1 Gb internal storage Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did
    Current Device(s): Motorola Droid Razr
    Previous Device(s): LG Optimus S
    Always happy to help out, Just remember to hit that thanks button!

ROM
    CleanROM ICS

had the same issue, installed vm heap tool from market, increased heap size to48m,I have113 downloaded apps with no issue.. If you havea etx set up, titanium back up lets you move individual programs data to sd ext to help with space instead ofmoving the entire directory over
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by starfox View Post
    Ummm, you didn't delete /cache while booted did you? The reason why it was linked to /cache is because otherwise it would just use space in /data which you don't have the capacity either from the df you posted.

I deleted the cache in recovery. I have since wiped everything and reflashed.

-- Starfox
    Quote Originally Posted by blackops1125 View Post
    I have been using data2ext for about a year now, never had a problem and with over 50 apps installed from the market. Just make sure you use a good quality sd card and should be fine.

sent from my CM7/Reborn w/ 1 Gb internal storage Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did
    I've read a lot of mixed things about data2ext. In addition, my current rom, Your Mom Rom, does not support data2ext.

Quote Originally Posted by jmrwbilly View Post
    had the same issue, installed vm heap tool from market, increased heap size to48m,I have113 downloaded apps with no issue.. If you havea etx set up, titanium back up lets you move individual programs data to sd ext to help with space instead ofmoving the entire directory over
    Installed vm heap but not sure how this will help. It states that it makes applications run faster but that is not my issue. Could you elaborate?

----

On another note I reformatted my sd card since it seems that an ext partition did not exist. I also did a full wipe and reflash of my mom (Your Mom Rom). The first I did upon initial boot was run "df" into the terminal to see how much space I have. Seems I only have 58m available on the dalvik and regular cache and about 112mb of internal space. Anyway to get that dalvik/regular cache to match my amount of internal space?
    AC Forums Android Developer

ROM
    aosp - JellyBean

Quote Originally Posted by snipsta View Post
    I've read a lot of mixed things about data2ext. In addition, my current rom, Your Mom Rom, does not support data2ext.

Installed vm heap but not sure how this will help. It states that it makes applications run faster but that is not my issue. Could you elaborate?

----

On another note I reformatted my sd card since it seems that an ext partition did not exist. I also did a full wipe and reflash of my mom (Your Mom Rom). The first I did upon initial boot was run "df" into the terminal to see how much space I have. Seems I only have 58m available on the dalvik and regular cache and about 112mb of internal space. Anyway to get that dalvik/regular cache to match my amount of internal space?
    I have another dalvik mod that I've been running for awhile now that I can pm you later tonight if you would like to test it.

EDIT: please check your PM box
    Last edited by jstntp; 12-15-2011 at 06:14 PM.