Optimus S on I-wireless network, will root break service?

B-rye33

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
A friend has the exact phone I do, says Sprint on top and in the notifications, but says 'unknown' in the phone info under carrier. He want me to root it and put custom recovery and rom on it for him but I wanted to know before I do it, if that will effect his service at all? I'm well schooled on processes and how to do it, but have only done on actual Sprint phones on Sprint network. I believe the carrier is I-Wireless. Anyone done this or know answer, because I would hate to break friends phone. Thanks

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it would cause any issue. Do not use rom manager, that will brick. It would be custom roms that may cause issues. Just do a back up first before moving forward from there.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

B-rye33

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
So right after pushing custom recovery, or can stock recovery make a useable back-up to revert to original recovery? If that makes sense.

B-rye33

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
So, turns out that my friends I-Wireless pre-paid phone is running off Sprint towers. I was about to go ahead and root when his phone got a notification from sprint zone. It was at that point all fears of lost service went away. My friend is now rockin' on custom rom and couldn't be happier. Thanks fellas. Later

Pkt_Lnt

yes, that old
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Good. I have i-wireless from Kroger that is on sprint. Works great and better signal in the wilds of California. Rooted and custom ROM.

Sent from CM7ed LS670 with Tapatalk

duffieldj1

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
No it doesn't im on I wireless and I have a custom Tom and everything... I wireless is sprint and on the sprint network its just the prepaid version without contracts

garwynn

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Should behave just like any other MVNO. Unless you wipe the NVRAM (which stores the activation information) by some way you should be OK once activated - and wiping that is pretty hard to do unintentionally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair