phone bricked. How can I save pics/vids before restore?

ericah1113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi. My LG Optimus S randomly shut off last night. I have not rooted it(honestly, i don't think I have...I don't know what that means haha) and I don't download ROMs. Since then it's been stuck on the 'android' screen. I've tried a different battery, taking battery out, emergency mode, recovery mode (reboot and cache cleared) and nothing has worked.

I'm going to bring it in tomorrow, but is there ANY way I can get into the files, maybe through my computer, and save my pictures and videos? I have about a years worth of family pics/vids that I would really like to save before it's restored to factory settings.
Thanks, and happy new year!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You have a removable SD CARD correct? If so then using a computer and a built in sdcard reader or adapter just look for a folder called DCIM. That will hold all your pictures and videos... Otherwise there might actually be individual folders called Pictures or Videos....

Otherwise you local store should be able to help you out if this isn't an option.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Did u use Rom manager?

OP says he has never rooted his device so I think ROM manager would be out of the question since you need root access to use it in the first place.

aaronrw

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
OP says he has never rooted his device so I think ROM manager would be out of the question since you need root access to use it in the first place.

I know, however some people don't....and don't read the stickies either. If it is still available in the market as "compatible" with the Optimus S it shouldn't be.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I know, however some people don't....and don't read the stickies either. If it is still available in the market as "compatible" with the Optimus S it shouldn't be.
Noted.. However though from my limited use of ROM Manager (I choose to fly on the wild side with TWRP recovery and before that CWM) last I remember you can't really do much from within ROM Manager unless you give permission for root access. If the OP of this thread hasn't rooted their device then really any option they pick won't function without root access.

Otherwise just installing ROM Manager shouldn't have any effects causing the problem stated in the OP.

ericah1113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Nope, I have not used ROM Manager. I received a text and it shut off.
I don't have an adapter for the card right now, but will my pics still be on it even though I don't think I save them to the SD card? I think there is an album in my gallery labeled "SD", unless I am thinking of my old phone. Blargh >_<
Thanks for all of the responses! I will check the SD card as soon as I can.

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
When you go to get it replaced just keep your SD card.. they are not gonna ask for it. Your phone saves everything yo SD card for your pics and videos. You are fine. Just use the SD card in the new one.... bottom line ur info isn't on the phone.

Also... all this talk about Rom manager. As Paul g said. Rom manager won't do anything without root access.... bottom line its not a rom manager force flash of a bad recovery.img that caused this brick. Try emode to fix ur phone or just have sprint fix it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

ericah1113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I just found my adapter, and I'm glad to see that all of my pictures and videos are safe! I could have sworn I changed a setting to save images and vids to phone, not SD. Not feeling too bright, but still relieved. Thank you guys!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Glad to have helped... Nice to see you still have those treasured pics and videos...

Best of luck on your device.

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Optimus doesn't store on the system partition ever. I'm glad cuz if they did... u would a been sol. Happy trails! :)

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay