[MOD] [DATA2EXT] YOUR-MOM-ROM (**Unofficial**)

biggjoe

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Greetings Everyone,

As most of you know, Team Hydro has discontinued support for the 'Data2EXT' Mod, for 'YOUR-MOM-ROM'.

Their reasons for this are several.

I'm just happy that we have a high-caliber, quality team of Developers/Enthusiasts with Team Hydro that have brought us so many great ROMs for our LG Optimus S.

That said, 'Jstntp' had suggested to me on the official 'YOUR-MOM-ROM' thread, that I could post the initial 'Data2EXT' mod, that was tweaked for 'YOUR-MOM-ROM' by Team Hydro, for those of us that wish to use it: (http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...your-mom-rom-v-1-1-updated-11-27-11-a-57.html)

He also stated that this thread should be a point of 'support' for those that wish to use it.

Now, I'm no expert by any means, but I can say that I do have 'DATA2EXT' running very nicely on my LG Optimus S, with YOUR-MOM-ROM.

I actually followed the instructions EXACTLY..located on this thread:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...118297-how-data2ext-reborn-froyo-2-2-cm7.html

...so I would like to thank 'the_maplebar' for creating this excellent guide!!

For those of you that are a bit more advanced in the area of 'DATA2EXT', please feel free to contribute and answer questions on this thread'.

I've attached the original 'Data2EXT' MOD, that was tweaked specifically for 'YOUR-MOM-ROM'...by Team Hydro, at the end of this post.

I've also attached a screenshot below of my device for your reference.

***** NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW THE STEPS ON THE SAME GUIDE under the heading:
'Steps To Move /cache/dalvik-cache to /data/dalvik-cache on SD-EXT'. THIS STEP IS NO LONGER NECESSARY *****

** A few other points to keep in mind
:

1a. - Does the Data2EXT Mod have the potential of shortening the life span of your MicroSD Card? Yes, absolutely.

1b. - So then why use it? We use this mod to significantly increase the amount of 'internal storage' that is available to our LG Optimus S.

2. - Do you HAVE TO partition the MicroSD Card within Custom Recovery as part of the steps? No, you do not. You can use a MicroSD-to-SD Card Adapter and insert it into your computer, provided that it has an SD Card slot, or you can use a MicroSD-to-USB Adapter and plug it into your computer as well.

From there, you can use an application as I have, such as 'Paragon Hard Disk Manager' or some other 'Partition Manager'...to create and format your partition as an 'EXT4' File system.

3. - Is the 'Data2EXT' Mod difficult to implement/use. Not necessarily, but you have to at the very least be EXTREMELY comfortable with all things Rooting/Custom Recovery/Nandroids/ADB/CLI and just be 'techie' in general. THIS IS NOT FOR NOOBS.

Hope this helps!

Bigg Joe

:cool:

Last edited:

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Nice job! Sounds like you've done your research and are ready to provide some good support. I tip my hat to you for taking on this project. +1

dobbs69

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok, followed all instructions on data2ext thread and everything was great, had 1 gb of internal memory. Then I followed the instructions to move cache, thats when trouble hit. Rebooted and froze on android screen. Had to pull battery and reboot to recovery using manual way. So restored backup of hydro.

Don't know what went wrong.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

biggjoe

May 25, 2011
Visit site
dobbs69,

Thank you for the feedback. Ok, let me edit the original post. That part about moving the 'cache' was more for reference, rather than a second step. Looking at it again, it just creates confusion.

In short, you can repeat the same steps, forget the whole 'cache' matter and you should be fine.

My apologies.

BJ.

:eek:

dobbs69

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
No problem, actually if I had payed better attention I would have noticed the HOWEVER note and realized that I should skip that step.

Thanks for the quick reply.

MunkyButt

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
What's the worst thing that could happen if I mess up doing this?
I'm still new to the rooting/ROM side of Android, but I'd like to try this if it won't brick my phone.

biggjoe

May 25, 2011
Visit site
What's the worst thing that could happen if I mess up doing this?
I'm still new to the rooting/ROM side of Android, but I'd like to try this if it won't brick my phone.

Worst case scenario, you'll have to do a Nandroid restore. This shouldn't brick your phone.

That said, backups, nandroids and an understanding that 'there's always a risk' is imperative.

BJ

;)

deejayadhd

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
so i have this done and running nice on a class 10 8gb sd card, been smooth as butter for a week maybe, still is smooth but now i cant install any apps from the market, i get disk full or something like that or package file invalid. I see that the cache and dalvik cache are completely full using df in terminal (1mb free each). so i tried wiping dalvic and regular cache in recovery (also formatted cache) and then under df it said they had 9mb free each. but still the same problem.

just wondering if there is a way to fix this, maybe i am missing something here. I have about 680mb free of my 1gb partition. thanx for any help.

biggjoe

May 25, 2011
Visit site
deejayadhd,

Download the attached file to the root of your SD Card and flash in recovery. This will fix your issue. I will then replace the original file that you used.

My apologies, I had been meaning to upload and replace the file that you used.

BJ

so i have this done and running nice on a class 10 8gb sd card, been smooth as butter for a week maybe, still is smooth but now i cant install any apps from the market, i get disk full or something like that or package file invalid. I see that the cache and dalvik cache are completely full using df in terminal (1mb free each). so i tried wiping dalvic and regular cache in recovery (also formatted cache) and then under df it said they had 9mb free each. but still the same problem.

just wondering if there is a way to fix this, maybe i am missing something here. I have about 680mb free of my 1gb partition. thanx for any help.

deejayadhd

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
deejayadhd,

Download the attached file to the root of your SD Card and flash in recovery. This will fix your issue. I will then replace the original file that you used.

My apologies, I had been meaning to upload and replace the file that you used.

BJ

wow you are quick, thank you much I will let you know how it goes. :)

biggjoe

May 25, 2011
Visit site
deejayadhd,

I just updated/replaced the file that you originally downloaded, with the correct one. This moves dalvik-cache back to /data).

Thanks!

BJ

deejayadhd

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
deejayadhd,

I just updated/replaced the file that you originally downloaded, with the correct one. This moves dalvik-cache back to /data).

Thanks!

BJ

worked like a charm! but a question, i dont see dalvik in df read out anymore, i assume its just hiding inside another dir or something?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar