Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By epidenimus
  • 1 Post By Va1ha11a
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Citizen

ROM
    Cm7/Cm9/Cm10

Default Lg optimus u

Hey I was wondering my friend has a optimus u and he wants to root and overclock and change boot animation also he wants something like cm7 or some roms like on our phone. I,will have to check his baseband but I know hes running froyo and stock everthing im not having luck finding anything on here but any help will be appreciated just need to know a source for roms, recoverys, and kernals any help is greatly appreciated.
    Racer of Elevators

ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

Default Re: Lg optimus u

I am not familiar with a U series of the device, but I can tell you that you may have more success looking here on AC and on XDA using either the device name or model (e.g. Phoenix or P505). Is that with US Cellular?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    AC Citizen

ROM
    Cm7/Cm9/Cm10

Quote Originally Posted by epidenimus View Post
    I am not familiar with a U series of the device, but I can tell you that you may have more success looking here on AC and on XDA using either the device name or model (e.g. Phoenix or P505). Is that with US Cellular?
    yes it is the optimus u from us celluer

ROM
    LeWa/Bobzhome

You can always try. You can probably Root it, as the method to root is pretty similar across the optimus line and most utilize the same exploits for achieving root. As far as ROMs and stuff go, you can probably get the ROMs from here to boot. Your issue may be that the radio won't write correctly and he would be stuck without a working phone. But, it has been done, people on the Optimus V can flash our ROMs and are fine. If you open the sd card you will find an update.zip that will be your backout if anything goes wrong, I would make a copy of that on your computer or his just in case. You can always flash this in recovery and return the phone to stock but he would lose all of his data probably. Good luck and let us know if that works, it's always nice to get support from outside/non-sprint users.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    AC Citizen

ROM
    Cm7/Cm9/Cm10

Quote Originally Posted by twtippets View Post
    You can always try. You can probably Root it, as the method to root is pretty similar across the optimus line and most utilize the same exploits for achieving root. As far as ROMs and stuff go, you can probably get the ROMs from here to boot. Your issue may be that the radio won't write correctly and he would be stuck without a working phone. But, it has been done, people on the Optimus V can flash our ROMs and are fine. If you open the sd card you will find an update.zip that will be your backout if anything goes wrong, I would make a copy of that on your computer or his just in case. You can always flash this in recovery and return the phone to stock but he would lose all of his data probably. Good luck and let us know if that works, it's always nice to get support from outside/non-sprint users.
    problem is my friend is stubborn and wont try it he says he wants a rom built for HIS phone he doesnt wanna take risks and he is afraid to break his phone

ROM
    LeWa/Bobzhome

I just found out why the roms work on optimums v. Apparently sprint operates virgiin mobile here in America and so all the phones run on the sprint network. It is possible that us cellular runs on the sprint network and would work accordingly with a Rom from here, its just a matter of getting your friend to try it. Could be really cool for him.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    AC Citizen

ROM
    Cm7/Cm9/Cm10

Quote Originally Posted by twtippets View Post
    I just found out why the roms work on optimums v. Apparently sprint operates virgiin mobile here in America and so all the phones run on the sprint network. It is possible that us cellular runs on the sprint network and would work accordingly with a Rom from here, its just a matter of getting your friend to try it. Could be really cool for him.
    i am quoting his words "i will not try it unless it is official for my phone because i don't have money to buy a new phone if it breaks." well maybe if there is no rom is there an update to gingerbread at least. please tell me yes so he can stop asking me for something official
    Racer of Elevators

ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

If you are not certain of your methods and neither of you are willing to assume the potential consequences for the actions you are suggesting, then respect his decision. It's not your device to break. Just my 2.
    Va1ha11a likes this.

ROM
    LeWa/Bobzhome

Chances are not in his favor unfortunately. The only official update to gingerbread for this phone was released by sprint and then basically recalled due to multiple issues. Whoops. If there is an update it would be most likely an off shoot of what sprint and LG did and probably not around any longer. Our devs here have taken the gingerbread release and maximized its potential. Good luck with your friend.

ROM
    RasbeanJelly/DanteRom v4

As near as I can tell, this phone is more closely related to the optimus v then the s. But I am unable to find any roms or recoveries. Over at XDA there are several threads begging for such, even a few that flashed stuff for the V, with bad results. Looks like most people simply root the phone and then atleast you can remove bloatware and stuff.

Don't mess with other people's phones.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    AC Citizen

ROM
    Cm7/Cm9/Cm10

Quote Originally Posted by RonnyGunz View Post
    Don't mess with other people's phones.
    its none of your gosh darn buisness now is it. MY QUESTION WAS WHERE CAN I FIND A ROM FOR THE OPTIMUS U NOT WHY I SHOULDNT MESS WITH PEOPLE PHONES. I CAN MESS WITH HIS PHONE IF I WANT IF HE IS BEGGING FOR MY HELP IM GONNA HELP HIM THATS LIKE SAYING YOU WONT HELP A CHILD IF HES DYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW AWENSER MY QUESTION OR DONT POST ANYTHING AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF I WANNA MESS WITH PEOPLE PHONES I WILL DARN IT AND I WILL DONT TELL ME WHAT I CAN AND CAN NOT DO!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP ME OR NOT BUT THIS TO ALL THE PEOPLE IF YOU DONT HAVE AN AWENSER DONT POST AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    AC Citizen

ROM
    Cm7/Cm9/Cm10

The people who have been kind told me some helpful info but even though it didnt work i can still say thanks because they provided me with information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Racer of Elevators

ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

Thank you for the entertainment! No one has all the "AWENSERs," but some of us have learned the hard way about when to help and when to let live. When you ROM someone else's device, you inherit the responsibility of support that once belonged to the carrier. If you find that you do not have the community support you need to feel comfortable in that role, then the choice is still yours and proceed at your own peril. It would be nice if some folks were more explanatory in their conveyance of concern, but I'm sure that their views and urgency is of pure intent in this case.

I will reiterate that stating We can't afford to do try this and screw up... concurrent with How do we overachieve at this questionable feat? presents an awkward and very challenged position on your part. Do you really want to own that? I wouldn't. And you don't have to. Not unless you are running a freaking Apollo rescue or something.
    Last edited by epidenimus; 02-08-2012 at 09:44 PM.
    Troll Headhunter

ROM
    Drew's CMX/Stock/Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jonny5449 View Post
    i am quoting his words "i will not try it unless it is official for my phone because i don't have money to buy a new phone if it breaks."
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5449 View Post
    MY QUESTION WAS WHERE CAN I FIND A ROM FOR THE OPTIMUS U NOT WHY I SHOULDNT MESS WITH PEOPLE PHONES. I CAN MESS WITH HIS PHONE IF I WANT IF HE IS BEGGING FOR MY HELP IM GONNA HELP HIM
    He doesn't sound like he is "Begging You" to do do anything to his phone. On the contrary, it sounds like he is begging you NOT to do anything unofficial.
    epidenimus likes this.

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

Alright guys, let's all just take a deep breath before you say something you are going to regret.

Johnny: it seems like you don't want "no" for an answer. Well unfortunately the answer just may be that. As far as I know, there aren't any ROMs available for the Optimus U at this time, however you should be able to root it with the appropriate drivers.

And what RonnyGunz said is partially true, but you took it the wrong way. If you are uncomfortable enough with the process that you need to ask, you probably shouldn't be mucking with other phones because if you DO screw something up, congrats you owe someone a new phone. If that's a risk you want to take then go for it.