rooted, unrooted, bricked, unbricked, stuck in recovery

brattt78

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Now, I recommend you use this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...0-automated-no-revert-needed.html#post1381615

And install either Reborn Rom or Thekraven's CM7 port

ok so i'm just a little confused by steps 2&3. Step 2 gives two separate instructions so I'm assuming that I want to
Code:
NEW: Even easier self-extractor for windows (Just run .exe - SKIP Unzip and Step #3) [optiauto-sfx.exe]

but if i skip step 3, it says you're done... ummm i'm sure that's not right lol so i was going to just select option a to install root but the phone does not show usb debugging enabled and the drivers are not installing when i connect. i'm afraid to continue.

brattt78

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
i booted into recovery and i have xiona cwma, i guess from the flash you got working for me and it's root so i guess at this point all i need to do is install a good rom, right? of course we had finally given up and had sprint switch activation to his old phone now i'll have to call them again. ho hum...

oh and i'm reinstalling the drivers now too.

prowlingfox

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I think that bullet point in the instructions is just a little confusing. I believe it means "Skip unzip, move on to Step 3".

If the drivers aren't working, try downloading the LG Driver <direct link: http://s3.amazonaws.com/lgforum.com/resources/assets/534/original/LGLS670.zip?1292363411 >

Then make sure you have USB debugging enabled on the phone.

You can test whether your computer is detecting the phone correctly by enabling USB Mass Storage. An autoplay window should appear on your computer that asks what you want to do (view folder contents, etc).

Then just open up the .exe root utility, type "A", and hit enter. That's all :)

prowlingfox

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
If you already have Xionia CWMA recovery, then there's no reason for you to use this utility if you're just going to install a custom rom like TheKraven's CM7.

HOWEVER: You must be on ZVD baseband in order to install this rom. Do you know whether you were on ZVD or ZVH before all of this craziness started happening

EDIT: I would really recommend you just start from scratch:

Put the official sprint ZVD update.zip on the top level of your SD card. Boot into Xionia recovery, go to "Install .zip from SD card", toggle signature verification, and then choose zip from sd card >> update.zip. Then once you're booted into official Sprint froyo 2.2, you may notice that you don't have service. This is due to a radio mismatch if you had installed ZVH previously. Turn off the phone, then hold the power button, the down volume control button, and the home button to boot back into recovery. You should now have 3e recovery. hit "install update.zip", and that will flash the 2.2 update once more and write the ZVD radio image to your radio.

Once all that's done, you'll have a 99% stock Optimus S. Then you have two options:

1) Use the root utility to root 2.2/ZVD and install Xionia CWMA. Choose this option if you want to install a ZVD-based rom like TheKraven's CM7.
2) Apply the official gingerbread 2.3/ZVH update. Choose this option if you want to install a ZVH-based rom like HydroRom.

Last edited:

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
i booted into recovery and i have xiona cwma, i guess from the flash you got working for me and it's root so i guess at this point all i need to do is install a good rom, right? of course we had finally given up and had sprint switch activation to his old phone now i'll have to call them again. ho hum...

oh and i'm reinstalling the drivers now too.
Nice job!

You can also switch your active devices via Sprint's website. I do this sometimes when I want to take dumbphone with a long battery life on the trail. Go with one of the solid stock-based ROMs that is appropriate to your baseband and you should have no problem.

brattt78

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
ok ok i don't know why i always speak to soon. hang on i'm still catching up from before, i was rushing out the door so i'm a few steps behind.

PatrickAkridge

"The Button Pusher"
Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
sorry, i meant to say that after i run the update.zip i get stuck on the lg screen. then i have to go through that whole process again which isn't easy, it's actually very unfriendly and i'd like to avoid it if possible. i've been at this over 7 straight hours and just don't know where to go from here. i'm hoping i didn't destroy his phone completely!!

First, use ADB to flash the STOCK recovery.

You CAN NOT flash the update.zip stock zip without using the stock recovery because it'll wipe your radio.

Just use ADB to flash the stock recovery, clear data and cache, then flash the update zip file.

That oughta fix you.

brattt78

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
yep so i did miss one of biddlespit's steps from above in all the back and forth but now i'm in good shape! i ran the optiauto and am going to flash reborn now then i'll call sprint to reactivate this phone.

hooray!!! hopefully that's the end of this nightmare!

prowlingfox

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
yep so i did miss one of biddlespit's steps from above in all the back and forth but now i'm in good shape! i ran the optiauto and am going to flash reborn now then i'll call sprint to reactivate this phone.

hooray!!! hopefully that's the end of this nightmare!

Okay so let me get on the same page. Correct me if i'm wrong: You were able to get booted up into official Froyo 2.2 ZVD, and then you ran the automated root utility?

Also, RebornROM is outdated. If you want to stay on ZVD, i would recommend TheKraven's CM7. Otherwise, you should update to ZVH so that you can use the likes of HydroROM, gROM, etc.

EDIT: If you do choose to update to ZVH, you will need to go back to stock recovery. You can do this by flashing official ZVD update.zip from Xionia recovery. Then replace the ZVD update.zip on your sd card with the official ZVH update.zip and "apply sdcard: update.zip" from 3e recovery.

EDIT2: Juuuuuuuust kidding. You can use the opti root tool to install LG stock recovery. Then put ZVH update.zip on sd card and flash.

Last edited:

brattt78

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
ok so let's start from the beginning...

through the process that buddlespit so patiently walked me through, i flashed xionia img ran the update.zip to unroot and downgrade back to froyo (i get confused with the zvd zvh terms). i ran the optiauto-sfx to reroot and flash cwma recovery.
if this is all correct so far, i need a new rom. right now i'm on the sprint stock rom version 2.2.2 with xionia recovery and just finished downloading rebornrom which apparently is not good? i really am not crazy about cyanogenmod's rom so i was avoiding that one but maybe it's my best bet since i know it's stable. i don't want ics because he needs the features that aren't working on it.

so what do i do now? upgrade to gingerbread? flash cyanogen? take a nap?

prowlingfox

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
ok so let's start from the beginning...

through the process that buddlespit so patiently walked me through, i flashed xionia img ran the update.zip to unroot and downgrade back to froyo (i get confused with the zvd zvh terms). i ran the optiauto-sfx to reroot and flash cwma recovery.
if this is all correct so far, i need a new rom. right now i'm on the sprint stock rom version 2.2.2 with xionia recovery and just finished downloading rebornrom which apparently is not good? i really am not crazy about cyanogenmod's rom so i was avoiding that one but maybe it's my best bet since i know it's stable. i don't want ics because he needs the features that aren't working on it.

so what do i do now? upgrade to gingerbread? flash cyanogen? take a nap?

Okay. Sounds good.

The radio version (e.g. ZVC, ZVD, MVD, ZVH) is the version of the software that actually controls the phone's antennae. The stock 2.2.2 Froyo firmware runs on the ZVD radio software. Sprint's official Gingerbread 2.3.3 update took us to ZVH radio. Because Froyo is designed to work with ZVD, it's not compatible with ZVH (and vice versa).

I didn't mean to imply that RebornROM isn't "good", simply that it's not actively developed anymore. HydroROM incorporates the features from RebornROM as well as other solid ZVH-based roms.

So, basically, if you want to use a ZVH-based rom, you need to flash the official Sprint 2.3 gingerbread update. You have to use the stock recover to do this, which i explained in my previous post.
If you'd like to take TheKraven's CM7.2 ROM for a spin (which i recommend, as i've been running it since october of last year and i find it very solid), you don't need to upgrade to 2.3/ZVH radio, as this rom only works with ZVD. The Rom DOES however upgrade you to gingerbread-based firmware, just not the ZVH radio. Does that make sense?

Reactions: brattt78

brattt78

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
yes! thank you!

so the whole reason i rooted his phone was because it was so bloated which i would imagine you already knew. when i tried optirom, it was by far the lightest but that's when i lost the ability to text. well, actually it might have been with yourmomrom because that's where i noticed a lot of connection problems so i got out of there and went to optirom which like i said is where we noticed the texting issues. basically i guess my question is do you think thekraven's cm7 is the best way to go for that? i'm sure whatever i try will be lighter than stock but i don't ever want to have to do this again on his phone so i want to be sure i'm getting whatever will be best for him. he doesn't need fancy, i don't even know why he has an android, he doesn't do very much on it but he certainly needs the basics and likes to shop the market on occasion.

prowlingfox

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
As far as what you should do now, that's really up to you. Taking a nap is probably the easiest, most stable option (;

Basically, the easiest path forward is to flash TheKraven's CM7.2 ZVD-based gingerbread rom OR Reborn ROM. Both run on ZVD radio. However, CM7.2 is gingerbread-based, and Reborn ROM is froyo-based.

If you don't want to use CyanogenMod or Reborn ROM, then use the opti tool to install stock LG recovery, then place the official Gingerbread ZVH update.zip on your sdcard, and flash that from stock recovery. Then you'll need to boot up into official gingerbread, re-root, and reinstall Xionia CWMA recovery. Then you can install gRom, Hydro ROM, and others.

Reactions: brattt78

brattt78

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
let me go back a little further. this all actually started with my sister. i was originally trying to root her phone because it was bloated but had trouble with it and since she has the same phone as my husband, i used his to play on when i ran into all these issues. she's a little more playful with her phone but not too much. so whatever i end up doing on her phone, i'm testing on his first. she likes pretty (geek pretty) and fun looking. he doesn't really care much as long as it's easy to use for him and fun to use for her. am i pushing my luck??

brattt78

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
As far as what you should do now, that's really up to you. Taking a nap is probably the easiest, most stable option (;

Basically, the easiest path forward is to flash TheKraven's CM7.2 ZVD-based gingerbread rom OR Reborn ROM. Both run on ZVD radio. However, CM7.2 is gingerbread-based, and Reborn ROM is froyo-based.

If you don't want to use CyanogenMod or Reborn ROM, then use the opti tool to install stock LG recovery, then place the official Gingerbread ZVH update.zip on your sdcard, and flash that from stock recovery. Then you'll need to boot up into official gingerbread, re-root, and reinstall Xionia CWMA recovery. Then you can install gRom, Hydro ROM, and others.

i think i'll just go with this option. it feels like the easiest way to go and i'm so tired. i'm probably going to have recovery nightmares tonight!
thanks for your help!

prowlingfox

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Indeed, the stock software comes with TONS of bloatware. It's disgusting. :p

If you want a basic, stock-like ROM with some added function and no bloatware, you can try gROM. That was actually the first ROM i used :) For this ROM, you must update to official gingerbread 2.3.3/ZVH radio.

Updating really isn't too difficult, you just have to have stock recovery, flash the update from recovery, then re-root and reinstall Xionia using the opti tool. I think you're starting to get a feel for all of this, so you probably wouldn't run into too much trouble.

I would say your best options are either CM7.2, HydroROM, or if you just want a simple ROM with no bloatware, gROM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463