rooted, unrooted, bricked, unbricked, stuck in recovery

prowlingfox

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
i think i'll just go with this option. it feels like the easiest way to go and i'm so tired. i'm probably going to have recovery nightmares tonight!
thanks for your help!

Sounds good. If you decide you don't your ROM, you can switch between ROMs that are intended for the same radio (in this case ZVD) without returning to stock. So, for example, if you flash CM7.2 but decide you want to switch to RebornROM instead, you can just boot into recovery, wipe system, data, and cache, and then flash RebornROM.

If you would like to try HydroROM or gROM, just flash the official Froyo/ZVD update.zip from Xionia, then reboot and flash again from 3e, and that'll get you back to stock 2.2 firmware & recovery. From there, you can update to official Gingerbread/ZVH, re-root and reinstall Xionia, and then flash HydroROM or gROM.

If you have any other questions, shoot me a PM or post here! Good luck and sleep well tonight!

Reactions: brattt78

mike9670

DROID Master
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Hydro has customizations cm7 does not have. Plus since Hydro is Sprint based you can update prl and profiles from Sprint. You also can force roaming only in low signal areas. Hydro is themed really cool too. The Hydro team is always making cool new improvements. It is super smooth, snappy and cool.

brattt78

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Sounds good. If you decide you don't your ROM, you can switch between ROMs that are intended for the same radio (in this case ZVD) without returning to stock. So, for example, if you flash CM7.2 but decide you want to switch to RebornROM instead, you can just boot into recovery, wipe system, data, and cache, and then flash RebornROM.

If you would like to try HydroROM or gROM, just flash the official Froyo/ZVD update.zip from Xionia, then reboot and flash again from 3e, and that'll get you back to stock 2.2 firmware & recovery. From there, you can update to official Gingerbread/ZVH, re-root and reinstall Xionia, and then flash HydroROM or gROM.

If you have any other questions, shoot me a PM or post here! Good luck and sleep well tonight!

speak of the devil my sister was just here! anyway ok so i'm ready. i just want to make sure i have this all right before i start to minimize error.

1 open optiauto-sfx and select option d to flash the stock recovery
2 install the gingerbread update to the sdcard
3 flash gingerbread zip file
4 run optiauto-sfx and select option a to reroot and install the xionia img file
5 install and flash my new rom choice which has to be zvh compatible

please let me know if i have that right or if i need to make any changes (for dummies version).

aaronrw

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Hydro has customizations cm7 does not have. Plus since Hydro is Sprint based you can update prl and profiles from Sprint. You also can force roaming only in low signal areas. Hydro is themed really cool too. The Hydro team is always making cool new improvements. It is super smooth, snappy and cool.

Yeah HydroRom is untouchable on ZVH right now. Only ROM I'll flash when on zvh radio. And it's still "officially" a BETA;)

prowlingfox

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
speak of the devil my sister was just here! anyway ok so i'm ready. i just want to make sure i have this all right before i start to minimize error.

4 run optiauto-sfx and select option a to reroot and install the xionia img file

please let me know if i have that right or if i need to make any changes (for dummies version).

You got it!

Let us know if you run into any problems or if you have any questions throughout the process.

aaronrw

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

Sounds good to me. BUT make a backup before the ROM install just in case.:p

prowlingfox

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Sounds good to me. BUT make a backup before the ROM install just in case.:p

Indeed. Never a bad idea to make a backup, even if it's just to the stock setup.

Once you've made a nandroid backup of the current setup, don't forget to wipe /system, /data, and /cache before flashing the ROM.

brattt78

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

i'm going to try it, just waiting to confirm the instructions before i move. thanks for the info! one of the things i've always hated about CM is that I have to flash to another rom to update the prl. it would be great if i can avoid that!

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Just remember, if you have "issues" with ZVH, you can always go back to ZVD. ZVH may cause problems with some phones. I, for one, can't use it and had to reflash to ZVD. I had charging problems, USB connection problems, battery life issues and my sdcard kept un-mounting. This is why Sprint re-offered ZVD to the masses. Most phones don't have these issues, so you'll prolly be just fine on ZVH.

I also keep Reborn in a nandroid backup for when I feel I need to update PRL and profile

brattt78

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
yes! always nandroid! i learned that the hard way...

while i work on this, i read up on hydro and found these bugs
3) Some app notifications are impossible to read. This is due to the app not using Google's standard notification layout properties and isn't something we can readily fix.
4) Flash is included in the ROM, but doesn't work. Uninstalling and re-installing using Titanium Backup (APP ONLY, NOT DATA!) is a good workaround for now.

what does this mean??

brattt78

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Just remember, if you have "issues" with ZVH, you can always go back to ZVD. ZVH may cause problems with some phones. I, for one, can't use it and had to reflash to ZVD. I had charging problems, USB connection problems, battery life issues and my sdcard kept un-mounting. This is why Sprint re-offered ZVD to the masses. Most phones don't have these issues, so you'll prolly be just fine on ZVH.

I also keep Reborn in a nandroid backup for when I feel I need to update PRL and profile

he had zvh on this phone before with no problems so hopefully we should be ok. i'll keep everyone posted!

prowlingfox

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
3) is referring to the notifications that some apps will give you in the statusbar. I wouldn't worry about this too much.

4)This is referring to Adobe Flash Player. I wouldn't worry about this too much either, but if you want to get flash player to work, you can install the Titanium Backup app from the android market and use that to uninstall/reinstall the Adobe Flash Player app.

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The notifications that some apps post on the notification bar is unreadable, due to them being incompatable with googles setup and adobe flash player, even tho it's installed, doesn't quite work yet.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Why all the rushing to CM7 and ZVH?? The OP just unbricked and stated that they did not care for a CM release model. Maybe slow the heck down and let them take it in. Reborn is just fine and everything works great. Why not let the OP check it out before deciding to move on? If he/she wants to try something different, then make the move to ZVH and HydroROM. HydroROM is still in beta, BTW, so there are still a few bugs to squash.

Let's lay out options and encourage exploration instead of just pushing users to what we personally prefer or what has the newer release date. (I know, I sometimes struggle with it myself, too. ;) I'm itching to put CM9 on my GF's device since she uses it less than I do, but I need to consider her viewpoint. :D )

Last edited:

brattt78

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I believe i linked you to the ZVD froyo when i meant to link you to the ZVH gingerbread update.

i thought it was a little strange that the zvh file was the exact same size as the zvd but i'm glad you caught it!

so are you all dying of anticipation??? sorry for the delay; kids, dinner, kids, dog, kids and a few errands later...

IT WORKED!!! I'M ROOTED W CUSTOM RECOVERY & HYDROROM!!! I can make calls and text!!

i had to update my profile like 25 times but it's all good now. Thanks everyone for all your help & patience i can't tell you guys/girls how much i appreciate it! i would have given up by now if it weren't for you guys keeping me hopeful!

prowlingfox

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
i thought it was a little strange that the zvh file was the exact same size as the zvd but i'm glad you caught it!

so are you all dying of anticipation??? sorry for the delay; kids, dinner, kids, dog, kids and a few errands later...

IT WORKED!!! I'M ROOTED W CUSTOM RECOVERY & HYDROROM!!! I can make calls and text!!

i had to update my profile like 25 times but it's all good now. Thanks everyone for all your help & patience i can't tell you guys/girls how much i appreciate it! i would have given up by now if it weren't for you guys keeping me hopeful!

CONGRATS! Must be pretty awesome going from a battery-powered paperweight to a fully functioning, rooted &ROM'd ZVH phone :D

I'm so glad i could help!

brattt78

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Why all the rushing to CM7 and ZVH?? The OP just unbricked and stated that they did not care for a CM release model. Maybe slow the heck down and let them take it in. Reborn is just fine and everything works great. Why not let the OP check it out before deciding to move on? If he/she wants to try something different, then make the move to ZVH and HydroROM. HydroROM is still in beta, BTW, so there are still a few bugs to squash.

Let's lay out options and encourage exploration instead of just pushing users to what we personally prefer or what has the newer release date. (I know, I sometimes struggle with it myself, too. ;) I'm itching to put CM9 on my GF's device since she uses it less than I do, but I need to consider her viewpoint. :D )

I appreciate you looking out for me, I really do, but it's fine. If I didn't want to be talked into something, I wouldn't be. These guys worked hard with me (BuddleSpit stayed up most of the night with me and jumped right back into it in the morning even though i was ready to give up) and I trust that they're only trying to help. I'm just grateful and flattered that anyone cared so much! some of the other places i posted this help request didn't even respond let alone 10 pages worth of hard work, research and patience.

i know i've said it but i can't say it enough, thanks so much to you all! it really means the world to me!

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate you looking out for me, I really do, but it's fine. If I didn't want to be talked into something, I wouldn't be. These guys worked hard with me (BuddleSpit stayed up most of the night with me and jumped right back into it in the morning even though i was ready to give up) and I trust that they're only trying to help. I'm just grateful and flattered that anyone cared so much! some of the other places i posted this help request didn't even respond let alone 10 pages worth of hard work, research and patience.

i know i've said it but i can't say it enough, thanks so much to you all! it really means the world to me!
Cool beans then. We try to be helpful around here. :) And I may be a little late to the show, but, welcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22