I have an optimus s that has froyo.

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
What is the safest way to upgrade? I would prefer to OC. My phone is currently rooted, and I understand that I would have to reroot it once I upgrade.
Even before I destroyed all the sprint apps(including sprint zone), I didn't get the update.
Any advice/links/tuts?

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Does Gingerbread really work yet on these phones? Having already rooted I flashed CM7 a month or two ago, and Google Maps navigation hasn't worked since. It's not CM7's fault; rather I wasn't paying sufficient attention or I wouldn't have missed where it said that the CM7 flashing process would change the phone from Froyo to Gingerbread.

A lot of people, with a variety of devices OTA'ed to Gingerbread, seem to be having problems with Maps and Navigation, in addition to those who have flashed custom ROMs that are GB based. I've been irritated and aggravated running down a solution for this without success for the past month, and am about ready to go back to stock Froyo. I might root after that and just let it alone, or find a ROM that will keep Froyo.

Nothing, but nothing, in Gingerbread is worth this hassle and aggravation, and Sprint seems disinclined to do anything about it.

I'd stay away from anything that will try to run Gingerbread on your phone.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Does Gingerbread really work yet on these phones? Having already rooted I flashed CM7 a month or two ago, and Google Maps navigation hasn't worked since. It's not CM7's fault; rather I wasn't paying sufficient attention or I wouldn't have missed where it said that the CM7 flashing process would change the phone from Froyo to Gingerbread.

A lot of people, with a variety of devices OTA'ed to Gingerbread, seem to be having problems with Maps and Navigation, in addition to those who have flashed custom ROMs that are GB based. I've been irritated and aggravated running down a solution for this without success for the past month, and am about ready to go back to stock Froyo. I might root after that and just let it alone, or find a ROM that will keep Froyo.

Nothing, but nothing, in Gingerbread is worth this hassle and aggravation, and Sprint seems disinclined to do anything about it.

Then revert back to froyo (ZVD) and install reborn rom. It is still one of the best ZVD ROMS. Everything works!

sent from my CM7/Reborn w/ 1 Gb internal storage Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did

Reactions: Dark Penguin

RonnyGunz

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

You could also try Faster Fix from the Market. I used that and it fixed my GPS issues.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Reverting to Froyo stock from CM7?

Thanks! I'll certainly try that.

ETA: I tried to flash update.zip from the last time I reverted to Froyo, but it didn't work. Does anyone know of a way to get back to the stock ROM from a custom upgrade?

Following Sprint's instructions here, but skipping the download and installation of drivers on my notebook (because they're already there, right?)...

I get the following output:

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E: No signature (679 files)
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

If I overlay a new copy of update.zip from Sprint's website, would that fix it?

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
You could also try Faster Fix from the Market. I used that and it fixed my GPS issues.

This didn't work for me, using Maps 6.3.0 which, IIRC, was installed from the .apk file. Does it make a difference if I install Maps from the Market? Is there something I need to configure in Maps for this to work?

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
boot into recovery go to flash zip from SD card select toggle signature verification

try that and see if it helps

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
ETA: I tried to flash update.zip from the last time I reverted to Froyo, but it didn't work. Does anyone know of a way to get back to the stock ROM from a custom upgrade?

Following Sprint's instructions here, but skipping the download and installation of drivers on my notebook (because they're already there, right?)...

I get the following output:

If I overlay a new copy of update.zip from Sprint's website, would that fix it?
Yes turn signature off then flash, you will have flash it twice though. The first flash will revert you back to stock ZVD but it will not flash the radios(you will not have a signal or 3g), that will be done the second time you flash the update zip

sent from my CM7/Reborn w/ 1 Gb internal storage Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Back on Froyo, unrooted, still no navigation.

I did unroot and downgrade using the instructions in this forum. But Google navigation still doesn't work. I wonder if the navigation functionality is being withdrawn, to join the ranks of Things We Don't Get To Have Anymore, like Windows Write and Silver Certificates?

Whatever...my experience seems to indicate that, for the purposes of this thread's topic, perhaps the loss of navigation functionality doesn't make much difference after all. It might have had nothing to do with my having flashed a GB based custom ROM.

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Would you be Willing to post a clean nandroid backup of froyo? I want to try and hack it.......for the good of all mankind or you know of any froyo roms?