• 1 Post By hlxanthus
  • 1 Post By vernotzy21
  • 1 Post By ShadowEO
  • 1 Post By djspade
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Default Using optimus s with no service

So i just left sprint for a more cost effective solution. I would like to use my optimus s as a small tablet basically. I have it rooted with CM7 installed, love it but now since i canceled my service i cannot even connect to wifi. It will show connected but i cannot get on the market or the browser. Do i have to have a 3g provider to use this function of the phone.

Any ideas to turn this phone into a small wifi only tablet.

Thanks

ROM
    Drew's CM10

Default Re: Using optimus s with no service

I don't have service on my LG Optimus S and I have WiFi so no, I'm sure you don't need to have a 3G provider to use that function, although it might indicate something wrong with your phone possibly. Try forgetting your network then connecting again.
    Thanked by 2:
    gingerc76 and xlisalovexx like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

I tried that, i still just get either no connection in the market or web paige not available.

ROM
    RasbeanJelly/DanteRom v4

I would boot into recovery, create a NAND backup, and then wipe cache/dalvik cache and do a dirty flash of the rom, then gapps. I would also recommend running with the airplane mode engaged ( which still allows wifi to run) this will keep your mobile/data radios from searching for a signal and help loads with battery life.
    Thanked by:
    djspade likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Will try this let you know the verdict. Also any recommendations on roms. I just want the best performance possible.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Ok looks like that did it, i installed CM7 barebones just to have a clean rom and everything seems to be working. Any recommendations on Roms and Kernels?
    Racer of Elevators

ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

Quote Originally Posted by cwl111286 View Post
    Ok looks like that did it, i installed CM7 barebones just to have a clean rom and everything seems to be working. Any recommendations on Roms and Kernels?
    CM7, especially the barebones build, is about as light as it will come. No stock-based proprietary junk, no CIQ, no extra hoopla you don't need. You can start playing with what additional apps and services to remove from there, such as SMS, maybe Gallery3d.

I like kravens cm 7.2 lotsa options
    gingerc76 likes this.

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 9 a10f

If you want to restore phone functionality, install GrooveIP ($4.99) and Google Voice (Free) to make calls and send/receive text messages...

ROM
    Drew's CM10

You can also find a SIP Gateway that trunks out to Google Voice and use the Native Dialer. I don't remember the actual trunk server that I'm using since it's in my hosted PBX account but everything works with the exception of SMS/MMS
    Thanked by:
    djspade likes this.

this really worked for me... forgetting the network and then trying again helps a ton!!! thanks
    Resident Teen

ROM
    Quattrimus

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowEO View Post
    You can also find a SIP Gateway that trunks out to Google Voice and use the Native Dialer. I don't remember the actual trunk server that I'm using since it's in my hosted PBX account but everything works with the exception of SMS/MMS
    I need this. But Groove IP is worth the 5 bucks

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Reborn ROM

Tested this out with the free version of Groove IP and it works fine... only difference is no native dialer but since it's only a wifi phone that shouldn't be a problem. Good post!!
    gingerc76 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kylemaguire View Post

look on xda developers site...on there i found a guide to do this...its very intensive to pull off, so rather then do this for everyones phones i mod i choose to create a free google voice number, and then install talkatone...free calls and texts thru google voice number you can pick one to your liking in your area code or one of your choice. once set up change settings in gmail to allow chat in gmail and sms....maybe under labs setting in gmail, have to be done from PC or tell your browser on your phone to appear to be desktop instead of android, then login to gmail via phone this way on browser, not in gmail app...then while still on desktop browser, login to google voice and change settings in there as well...make sure you change settings to not forward calls to your "primary number" or whatever number you verified with to set up the gvoice number. also make sure sms is forwarded to your gmail in the settings. you can also set up your voicemail and a password for it if you wish though it isnt necessary...once done install talkatone app, login with your google login and password, and bam...free phone line(as long as connected to wifi if you have no service provider)! can also be used if you wish to have a 2nd line(or save your minutes from your plan on your carrier, but will use 3g unless you tell app not to)...i have been using this method foe a LONG time now...if ever your phone says you cant download talkatone from google play store(not a problem with this device) you can download from blackmart alpha or from online like fourshared and put on sd card and use file manager to find it saved on sd card, click it, and install...

Hope this helps someone

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kylemaguire View Post

look on xda developers site...on there i found a guide to do this...its very intensive to pull off, so rather then do this for everyones phones i mod i choose to create a free google voice number, and then install talkatone...free calls and texts thru google voice number you can pick one to your liking in your area code or one of your choice. once set up change settings in gmail to allow chat in gmail and sms....maybe under labs setting in gmail, have to be done from PC or tell your browser on your phone to appear to be desktop instead of android, then login to gmail via phone this way on browser, not in gmail app...then while still on desktop browser, login to google voice and change settings in there as well...make sure you change settings to not forward calls to your "primary number" or whatever number you verified with to set up the gvoice number. also make sure sms is forwarded to your gmail in the settings. you can also set up your voicemail and a password for it if you wish though it isnt necessary...once done install talkatone app, login with your google login and password, and bam...free phone line(as long as connected to wifi if you have no service provider)! can also be used if you wish to have a 2nd line(or save your minutes from your plan on your carrier, but will use 3g unless you tell app not to)...i have been using this method foe a LONG time now...if ever your phone says you cant download talkatone from google play store(not a problem with this device) you can download from blackmart alpha or from online like fourshared and put on sd card and use file manager to find it saved on sd card, click it, and install...

Hope this helps someone
    Thanked by: