Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Forums Android Developer

ROM
    aosp - JellyBean

Default [COMMUNITY ROM][2.3.3][ZVJ] Stock Rooted ROM Base

-Community ROM-

This base ROM is built off the ZVJ update released by Sprint/LG. Please feel free to use this as your base for building your own custom ROM either for just yourself or to share with the community. I'd really like to see some new ROMs come out of this.

This ROMs feature List:

-Rooted
    -Deodexed
    -Busybox installed
    -Ability to run scripts in init.d (will need to set permissions in the updater-script for your scripts)

-Everything else is completely stock and has NOT been debloated
    -Rom is NOT signed

Download:

Please feel free to discuss ROM building in this thread. I will offer any advice I can as time permits, but please do some research as well and help each other out.

Now let's see some new Killer ROMs!!!!!
    Last edited by jstntp; 04-15-2012 at 04:32 PM.
    Thanked by 16:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    AC Citizen

ROM
    Cm7/Cm9/Cm10

cool

Sent from futuristic optimus s
    Last edited by jonny5449; 04-09-2012 at 10:02 AM.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    aosp - JellyBean

Quote Originally Posted by jonny5449 View Post
    Do I use the update feature or do I flash it???

Sent from futuristic optimus s
    ??? I don't know what you mean by update feature. If you would like to try this as is, you would disable signature verification in custom recovery and flash like any other rom. At this stage though, its really no different than the stock update as far as performance and features go.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    aosp - JellyBean

Default Re: [COMMUNITY ROM][ZVJ] Stock Rooted ROM Base

Anyone building off this? No biggie, just curious.

ROM
    RasbeanJelly/DanteRom v4

Quote Originally Posted by jstntp View Post
    Anyone building off this? No biggie, just curious.
    I wouldn't mind trying rom building. Just a few questions. I know compiling a rom from source must be done from Linux, but can a stock based rom like this be managed from windows? It would seem so to me. Could you point to a few helpfully sources/guides/info for building such roms? I have a feeling anything I could come up with would be fairly juvenal compared to your ginger rom or (in my opinion) the master builders in team hydro. But I guess you have to start somewhere.
    Va1ha11a likes this.
    Troll Headhunter

ROM
    Drew's CMX/Stock/Stock

Quote Originally Posted by hlxanthus View Post
    I wouldn't mind trying rom building. Just a few questions. I know compiling a rom from source must be done from Linux, but can a stock based rom like this be managed from windows? It would seem so to me. Could you point to a few helpfully sources/guides/info for building such roms? I have a feeling anything I could come up with would be fairly juvenal compared to your ginger rom or (in my opinion) the master builders in team hydro. But I guess you have to start somewhere.
    I'm in the same boat

I am curious if someone can flash this on top of ZVH radio.

Then see how many of the "ZVH problems" are fixed.

This will tell us which problems were fixed in the ROM/kernel and which require the new radio.

My guess is most (if not all) of the problems were fixed in the ROM/kernel.
    [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH
    Installed ZVH by mistake? Use simple update.zip to revert to ZVD / Froyo

ROM
    CM9/Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by hlxanthus View Post
    I would also be interested in ROM building, I've been trying to get started for some time now.
    "The Button Pusher"

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cold as Ice - CM9 kraven

Okay..

I am a rookie.. A good one to help root an Optimus or two...

BUT... How do you build a ROM?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    Please click the like and thanks buttons if/when I help you out... Also, If you like my work, please consider donating. I greatly appreciate it! Donations are via PayPal, and you may use your debit/credit cards, as well as Bank accounts to help me out with the funds of continuing development of the LG Optimus S.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM
    aosp - JellyBean

The first thing I recommend to all of you wanting to produce your own roms is to download the base rom I posted and open it up. Take a look inside at what a rom consists of. In the META-INF folder (a couple more folders in) you will find a file named updater-script. That contains the script commands the recovery reads when you flash the rom. It tells your recovery where to put the files and what permissions they need, as well as other stuff. Just study that for a bit, after some time, it will start to make sense.

Then back to the front of the rom zip, look in system folder. There is the guts of the rom. Apks are in the app folder and essential framework files are in the framework folder.

Google apktool. You will need that to decompile and compile the apks and such. That's if you want to let's say theme out your rom, or port features over from other roms like the notification toggles, or extended power button reboot mod, etc......

I understand that I am just kind of rambling here and not really giving too much detail, but I'm just trying to teach you the way I learned. Open the rom, compare the insides to other roms, compare specific files (SystemUI.apk and framework-res.apk for example) to other peoples mods and roms. DO NOT steal their work...... but that's how you learn how they did it.

Decompile framework-res.apk with apktool and study the xml files inside. There are tons of different visual and functional tweaks that happen in xml files.

Anyway, the point I am trying to make is, dig in...... get your hands dirty. Oh and Google....... Google A LOT!

ROM
    The Kraven's CM7/CM9

This is a great tutorial for learning how to use the apktool:

He has a bunch of other great android tutorials as well.
    Thanked by:
    jstntp 
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    aosp - JellyBean

Nice! Yeah if guys wanna find tutorials, post them here and I will try to keep the OP updated with links to your posts.

ROM
    LeWa/Bobzhome

If anyone is wondering another way to look inside of apk's is to use 7zip, it will open an apk like a zip file. You have to use an apk tool to recompile it. I tried recompiling an apk using 7zip and it didn't work out too well. But 7zip is quick and pretty easy to use. Also 7zip is very useful when you want to use .png's for battery or icons and stuff found in framework-res.apk. But always ask before you use someone else's stuff. If anyone needs help with graphic design for their ROM or a logo or something hit me up, I'd be happy to help.
    AC Citizen

ROM
    Cm7/Cm9/Cm10

i will test on zvh tommorow im not doing anything lol
    AC Citizen

ROM
    Cm7/Cm9/Cm10

i will also test ginger rom

Im new at this rooting stuff i already know how to overclock and stuff but i just wanted to know can i install this package off my boot menu
    Last edited by Royalace121; 04-15-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Default Re: [COMMUNITY ROM][2.3.3][ZVJ] Stock Rooted ROM Base

how do get started and what programs do i need to make a rom
    AC Citizen

ROM
    Cm7/Cm9/Cm10

Sammyz might want this

Looking for good cm9 or cm7 themes??? visit this site for good themes.
    Thanked by:
    sammyz 

guys i totally just got a laptop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    im so gonna make a rom!!!

ac is so wierd on a pc screen iv always used my phone
    He who stands on toilet is high on pot
    Racer of Elevators

ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

Quote Originally Posted by vernotzy21 View Post
    guys i totally just got a laptop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    im so gonna make a rom!!!

ac is so wierd on a pc screen iv always used my phone
    Umm... completely off topic, but awesome! Looks like you got an avatar, too. Congrats, brother! I look forward to seeing what you can do with the proper tools.
    Last edited by epidenimus; 07-24-2012 at 07:56 AM. Reason: I ken spel.
    If you are inclined to spend a lot of money and want a pretty trophy with which to pass the next few years of your life that talks to you in a condescending voice, can't navigate to save its life, expects full control over all you do, demands $13 for a $3 purchase, allegedly has a single recessed button, needs an expensive computer and a credit card to do anything, hates your music and has purses designed just for it...

Get married to someone you hate... or get an iPhone.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New to LG's premium Android phone? Check out the Optimus S Welcome Guide.
    Used ROM Mangler on your Optimus S and having problems? Try this.
    Thanked by:

Here a tutorial I'm currently educating myself with

And this one claims to be more simplified on explaining android Roms

http://h4oxer.wordpress.com/building-an-android-rom/

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

Quote Originally Posted by vernotzy21 View Post
    Here a tutorial I'm currently educating myself with

And this one claims to be more simplified on explaining android Roms

http://h4oxer.wordpress.com/building-an-android-rom/

That youtube video only explains how to compile from source. But you need a proper source tree.

That second link...utterly useless. All it does is explain what each core component does and has almost nothing to do with making a custom ROM.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by drewwalton19216801 View Post
    That youtube video only explains how to compile from source. But you need a proper source tree.

That second link...utterly useless. All it does is explain what each core component does and has almost nothing to do with making a custom ROM.
    im still learning what core component are....... today i learned what .so file are but i didnt get to the part on how to edit them and i learned how to edit the framework-res and systemui.apk or at least the graphics the tutorial that i read said to use notepad++ but whenever i open xml files all the code says is "null" everywhere there should be xml code???? im a little confused on that and then tomarrow im gonna learn how to use apktool
    and i pretty much understand the system libs and how they work with .apks but thats about it

got any good tips......think of me as a ed 3 yr old in a helmet please go slow.......its my first time and im severly LD but once i figure it out im gonna bust roms all over the place
    He who stands on toilet is high on pot
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

ROM
    aosp - JellyBean

You will need to decompile the apk's with apktool, such as framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk in order to edit the xml files. Sounds like you were headed that direction anyway so keep goin!! cracking the rom/apk's/files open and exploring is the best way to learn IMO.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by jstntp View Post
    You will need to decompile the apk's with apktool, such as framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk in order to edit the xml files. Sounds like you were headed that direction anyway so keep goin!! cracking the rom/apk's/files open and exploring is the best way to learn IMO.
    Well I used 7zip to decompile the apks now without reading anything I'm guessing apktool works pretty much like the command line version of winrar?? Just a little different though
    Maybe something like
    Apktool- compile apklocation
    Or something to that effect?
    But after I decompile the apks with 7zip the files are in a folder
    Do I keep the folder to recompile or did 7zip add the folder?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast