[Beta] ZVJ rooting automation - please help test

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
yep no go.. it starts to loop at 99% and i cant get into recovery it just loops
Just to confirm, your phone has the old LCD and can work with V9? The phones with the new LCD don't do well with V9.

What is 99% BTW? Is that the progress in KDZ/KP500?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If i understanding right all i do is press option b if im rooted and have vd rom (clean Rom) and ill will have zvj after all done.
That's how it is supposed to work.

I've only been testing the rooted stock ZVD and ZVH to rooted stock ZVJ scenarios, but theoretically it should work the same for any ROM.

Reactions: papadog

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
yes 99% in KP500 and its the same loop, thats all i can get out of it, i even tried the vd cab and it started to loop at 99% done

Just to confirm, your phone has the old LCD and can work with V9? The phones with the new LCD don't do well with V9.

What is 99% BTW? Is that the progress in KDZ/KP500?

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
well i get KDZ to run but when it gets to where it resets the phone ,it starts the loop again and thats as far as it gets
anyone interested in a well bricked optimus?........lol

grayem

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I got it to work, but it I did get stuck once and had to go back to ZVD, then re root, then ZVJ and followed instructions better than the first time. I will say that it is confusing a bit to the novice.

THanks, now I just have to rebuild the phone.....ugh

Reactions: benny3

garwynn

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
well i get KDZ to run but when it gets to where it resets the phone ,it starts the loop again and thats as far as it gets

I know my phone - newer Opt S - can't go any earlier than VC.
So I skip V9 and use KP500 and flash the ZVD package instead.
It should be the same link that Sfhub gave earlier, but just in case:

[How-to] Revert to LS670V9, after installing OTA LS670VC/VD, using KP500 (Diag mode)

Just look for "Substitute these steps to Force Flash VD" after the steps to download the VD package.
I wouldn't give up on it just yet... :)

Reactions: benny3

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I got it to work, but it I did get stuck once and had to go back to ZVD, then re root, then ZVJ and followed instructions better than the first time. I will say that it is confusing a bit to the novice.
If you give me feedback on where it was confusing, I can try and make changes to make it less confusing.

In my experience a lot of the confusion is because of the sometimes unreliability of "adb reboot recovery" It sometimes wil boot into Android even if you told it to boot into Recovery. I've been making changes to the instructions over time to make the clearer.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The only time I've encountered a phone that wouldn't recover even after flash in emergency mode is when the flash memory on the phone started failing. It had already failed before the flash but didn't realize it because things were still working. albeit strangely. The flash just brought the memory failure to the forefront.

I've thought about this over the night to see if there is anything in this tool that could have caused what you are seeing. The only things this tool does is flash recovery (pretty safe) and copy a few files to /system (99.99% completely safe) It really wouldn't have been able to do anything (on its own) to make your phone be unable to flash successfully in emergency mode.

The ZVJ update.zip formats /system and copies some files to it, pretty safe operations. Then it flashes the radio. This is also pretty safe, though a failure could cause issues, but they should be recoverable with an emergency mode flash.

So the only thing I can come up with is there was some pre-existing flash memory partial failure but it wasn't noticed until a flash because that section wasn't being used (or used often). When the flash happened more of the flash memory got exercised. The stuff you described earlier as symptoms of the flash didn't make sense because I've never seen anyone describe that behavior. This doesn't mean it didn't happen, just that it isn't a common problem, so brings into the picture non-standard explanations.

Last edited:

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I have tried kp500 with zvd,zvc zvh,v9 and kdz and nothing is working. I need to take a break and try again later

I know my phone - newer Opt S - can't go any earlier than VC.
So I skip V9 and use KP500 and flash the ZVD package instead.
It should be the same link that Sfhub gave earlier, but just in case:

[How-to] Revert to LS670V9, after installing OTA LS670VC/VD, using KP500 (Diag mode)

Just look for "Substitute these steps to Force Flash VD" after the steps to download the VD package.
I wouldn't give up on it just yet... :)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
E:Can't find command file CACHE:recovery command. Installation aborted, no valid image in CACHE.

This error might be due to some prior LG update remnants being communicated to Recovery. I will change something to see of I can clear those out. They don't exist on fresh installs of ZVD or ZVH so might have been triggered from some past OTA notification.
So this turns out to be left over LG OTA update commands.

I could never duplicate it because I've never performed the an OTA update directly, preferring to download and update manually.

If you had rebooted to Recovery outside of this tool using "adb reboot" you would have seen the same cache: message.

It is harmless as Recovery will still work.

I did end up clearing it out in the ZVJ Rooting install to reduce confusion. The change showed up in Beta4.

Beta5 is the same with just an added informational message.

This will probably end up being the released version unless people have comments I can work on addressing.

grayem

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
GOod point

I got confused when the phone wasnt rooted after running through the whole thing. (but it wasnt actually the whole thing, read ahead) I had ZVJ, but it was not rooted.
My phone had just downloaded but not installed the Sprint ZVJ release, so I was worried about it auto updating and bricking the phone. ( I have never had an update as this is my first smart phone 2 months in with Ting wireless.and since I am rooted with everything link2sd linked I was worried)

I got through first section "A" of ZVJ root procedure skipping wipe data, and thought that the<Repeat Step blah blah....>portion of "B's" instructions meant to only proceed with B if reboot into recovery didnt work in step A

Having done it correctly now I get what that means, but my confusion was pretty dumb. I hadn't realized that I have to actually type "b" and hit enter on the keyboard. I never saw any instruction on the phone that are in the recovery menu because I didnt type "B". I figured I did it right because it went through in A and I didnt see any of the activity listed after B. I checked the phone for success, but found I had failed.

This is what get for doing this when I am sleepy. I could have justtyped B at this point and been fine, but instead....

I returned to ZVD which made me think I had nearly bricked my phone when it never left the Android screen because I had so many things frozen in Titanium backup, perhaps. After wiping the drive, and reinstalling ZVD, rooting and following the instructions by typing in "B", then "C", it went fine.

So, maybe for us sleepy noobs, you could instruct us to
Type "A"
"KEEP GOING YOUR NOT DONE YET!"
Type "B"
Type "C"

Kinda ridiculous, but that is what confused me.

Thanks for all your work

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So, maybe for us sleepy noobs, you could instruct us to
Type "A"
Type "B"
Type "C"

Kinda ridiculous, but that is what confused me.

Thanks for all your work
Thanks for the feedback, when I do the full writeup, it will be clearer.

Also the next (and probably released version) will look like this:
23425d1334080385-beta-zvj-rooting-automation-please-help-test-root-opti-11.2.3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2