ROM Tweaking

Thraeryn

DEVASTATOR
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Every now and then, I'll see a dev suggest changing something in build.prop or another file in their ROM. I've always been a bit skittish about that, mostly because I've never seen how one does it. Is it as simple as finding a file in the ROM's .zip archive, editing it, then repackaging the whole thing? What do I need to know about signatures? Tips, hints, instructions: give me any info that's helpful and handy!

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I've found that it's easier to apply/flash the ROM, then use a notepad program to edit the build.prop. Just make sure of your file permissions when you go to edit the file or nothing will be saved. You can also use something like Root Explorer, I think it has a built in text editor. Be sure you know EXACTLY what you are editing and the expected result, as you don't want to change something and bork your phone and have to reflash. As always, save a copy first if you need to revert. And do a NAND backup also.

EDIT: Once the build.prop is edited and saved, reboot the phone for the changes to take effect.

eletendre84

#sarcasm
Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I added the Supercharger script yesterday on my phone, it took all of 5 mins and all i used was ES File Explorer. Give it su permissions, mount /system as rw, edit the file, save it, unmount /system, reboot!

Reactions: arrogantbastard

Thraeryn

DEVASTATOR
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Better data speeds. thekraven posted the code in his CM9 thread, suggested someone give it a trial run.

Thanks to all the folks who provided info. :D I'll be using it pretty sparingly, but it's nice to know one more thing about my phone's workings.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa