Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
    Queendroid

Global Posts
    910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting4MyAndroid View Post
    Thanks for the prompt response. I just wanted to make sure that VD recovery will work. One more question.
    Is the step "wipe data/factory reset" needed in this case?
    It shouldn't be necessary. When sprint puts out an update it's supposed to be designed to work with what you have. If you have any issues you may need to wipe, though.
    Thanked by:
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

Default Re: [How-To] Automated Rooting of LS670ZVD/ZVH/ZVJ

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting4MyAndroid View Post
    Thanks for the prompt response. I just wanted to make sure that VD recovery will work. One more question.
    Is the step "wipe data/factory reset" needed in this case?
    ZVH to ZVJ has less chance for issues. ZVD to ZVJ has more chance for issues. If you have a lot of apps installed then the chances are higher some app has issues.. If you have mostly stock stuff, it'll probably go through fine.

So try it out without the reset, but be prepared to do the reset later on (ie have your backups ready)
    [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH
    Installed ZVH by mistake? Use simple update.zip to revert to ZVD / Froyo
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

Quote Originally Posted by ctgova View Post
    I keep failing to get stock recovery to flash. Xionia is the only recovery that shows up for me in the process. Do I need to get my sd card 000root folder cleaned up? There seem to be lots of files there. I would like to be able to start from a clean slate. Trying to upgrade to ZVJ from Kraven's CM7 port on ZVD radio. Thank you!
    You don't need to clean out the directory. Whatever is needed is copied into place whenever it is run.

If Option B, Step A (Install ZVJ Recovery) is failing, then please enable the scroll buffer using Option H on the Main Menu, then post the log of Step A.
    Thanked by:
    ctgova 

Quote Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
    You don't need to clean out the directory. Whatever is needed is copied into place whenever it is run.

If Option B, Step A (Install ZVJ Recovery) is failing, then please enable the scroll buffer using Option H on the Main Menu, then post the log of Step A.
    /data/local/tmp/sh: permission denied

Do I need to run as administrator?

Edit1: Ran as administrator, still permission denied

Edit2: Why can't I copy paste from the log?
    Last edited by ctgova; 04-16-2012 at 08:15 AM. Reason: update

ROM
    Stock! (For now...)

Are you rooted under your current version before starting? (Sounds like possibly not.)

I downgraded to ZVD afrter OTA update to ZVH, Rooted ZVD and installed Kraven's CM7 port plus Xionia recovery.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

That usually means you didn't have root (su) installed on your existing ROM but there can be other explanations.

What happens when you open an adb shell and type "su"? Do you get a # sign?

Also are you booted into Android or Recovery when you are running that step? You should be in Android.

Using Terminal Emulator I get a super user request and then a # sign after typing "su"
    I was booted into android with the screen unlocked and saw the permission being given for super user request running the first step option B step A.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

Were you running something from the main menu or Option B, Step A?

The first reboot to recovery is Xionia, that is after I see the
    Is there anything else I should have done prior to starting?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

The first reboot to recovery is Xionia, that is after I see the
    Is there anything else I should have done prior to starting?
    I'm curious, do you have a /data/local/tmp directory on your installation?

I think the issue you are seeing might be related to your current install being CM7 and some directories might not be the same as stock, but that is just a working theory.

I think the quickest way to get everything working would be just to revert to ZVD using the update.zip, Root ZVD using Option A, then go through Option B, but I'm interested in figuring out what is going wrong with your current setup.

Basically when you choose Option B, Step A (install ZVJ recovery) at some point it pauses and tells you it is asking for root permissions. It caches your response by creating an suid root sh in /data/local/tmp

This is somehow failing and I'd need to figure out why. My first attempt is just to check if that directory exists on your setup, since you aren't on a stock derived system.
    Thanked by:
    ctgova 

What is the most helpful way for me to find the answers you need. I don't know how to figure out what I have as far as directories in my installation.

Edit: After having eaten something, I checked my directories using File Manager, data is an empty folder.
    Last edited by ctgova; 04-16-2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Lack of nourishment
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

What is the most helpful way for me to find the answers you need. I don't know how to figure out what I have as far as directories in my installation.

Edit: After having eaten something, I checked my directories using File Manager, data is an empty folder.
    Yes, that is the issue then. The scripts are assuming your Android data partition is mounted as /data and /data/local/tmp is available to be written to. On your setup it isn't.

I could make changes where it doesn't depend on that, but the quickest way for you to root and have the ZVJ rom and radio would be to revert to stock ZVD, root that using Option A, then use Option B to root and install ZVJ. Make a nandroid backup before you do anything, in case you haven't already.

What do you want to be using after you are on ZVJ?
    Thanked by:
    ctgova 

Ok, so reference section option a is the way to go? I think I will want to go with gingerrom with gingerkernel to see if that works for me for now.

ROM
    GingerRom w/ HydroKernal

Just wanted to say thank you for the rooting script. I was rooted on ZVD and updated last night, it took a total of 20 minutes (taking my time...) with no problems at all. Thank you!
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

Ok, so reference section option a is the way to go? I think I will want to go with gingerrom with gingerkernel to see if that works for me for now.
    If you wanted rooted ZVJ Radio and ROM, then I was suggesting you revert to ZVD.

Then use Option A in the first post to root it.

Then use Option B in the first post to install ZVJ and root.

Option A in the reference section (2nd post) is something you would install after getting the ZVJ radio (or if you currently had the ZVH radio), though most people would probably want the ZVJ radio.
    Thanked by:
    ctgova 

Sorry, I was talking about the reference section in the ZVD downgrade thread. I am now stock ZVD and ready to root it. Thank you again for the long distance troubleshooting.

So I have an S with rooted ZVH via the Zerg thing from a while back.

If following the steps in the OP, it will wipe my phone and remove all the apps right?

Assuming it does, is there an easy way to make a backup of all the apps I have to make it easier to put them back on when I'm done? Only reason I'm rooted is for wireless tether and I'm starting to see that stupid SD card ejection error again which ZVJ is supposed to fix... right?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

Quote Originally Posted by Kelemvor View Post
    So I have an S with rooted ZVH via the Zerg thing from a while back.

If following the steps in the OP, it will wipe my phone and remove all the apps right?

Assuming it does, is there an easy way to make a backup of all the apps I have to make it easier to put them back on when I'm done? Only reason I'm rooted is for wireless tether and I'm starting to see that stupid SD card ejection error again which ZVJ is supposed to fix... right?
    It will only wipe your phone if you perform the factory reset step, otherwise it will keep your data. If you are going from ZVH I would just keep the data and skip the factory reset step.

I would make one nandroid (image of your system) using xionia and another application-level backup using Titanium. That way you can always go back completely to your old setup if things go real bad, otherwise, you can restore the app data a-la-carte.

I can't tell you if it fixes the sdcard ejection problem because I never had it on ZVH or ZVJ. Someone who had the problem can probably comment with more authority on whether it was fixed.

I currently have a rooted S with ZVH. If I accept the OTA update to ZVJ, will it remove the root? Thanks in advance
    Troll Headhunter

ROM
    Drew's CMX/Stock/Stock

there's a guide around here somewhere. Take a look and see what you can find.

ROM
    jellybeanLIH leak

Quote Originally Posted by fintystick View Post
    I currently have a rooted S with ZVH. If I accept the OTA update to ZVJ, will it remove the root? Thanks in advance
    yes it will
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  

Quote Originally Posted by fintystick View Post
    If you want rooted ZVJ, just follow the instructions in the first post. It will update you to ZVJ and you will be rooted.

If you accept the OTA ZVJ update, it will update you to ZVJ and leave you unrooted. Also you will need to revert back to ZVH or ZVD to end up with rooted ZVJ ROM/Radio.

You can theoretically just install the ZVJ ROM (keeping your ZVH radio) by just installing one of the community ZVJ ROM update.zip but most people will probably want the ZVJ ROM and radio, in which case, following the instructions in the first post is easiest.

Default Strange.

Ok. So this is a little strange.
    I started with rooted ZVH. Picked option B (ZVJ Root Procedure).
    Everything went smooth. Definitely rooted. Thanks sfhub!!
    Ok. Saw ZVJ settings all over the "about" section. Cool.
    Then I say: What is going to happen if the owner decides to update the phone?
    So I go to "System updates" and it is already downloading....what? The ZVJ update.
    What the hell?
    So I say f***k it. We'll see what it does. I'm thinking it's gonna fail for sure.
    What does it do? Downloads, verifies, and simply reboots to android normally WITHOUT errors and it is still rooted. WTF?
    So I check it again and now it says there is no updates available.
    No biggie but I found that strange. What do you think, OP?
    Last edited by checo346; 04-20-2012 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Left a few words out.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #50  

Default Re: Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by checo346 View Post
    Ok. So this is a little strange.
    I started with rooted ZVH. Picked option B (ZVJ Root Procedure).
    Everything went smooth. Definitely rooted. Thanks sfhub!!
    Ok. Saw ZVJ settings all over the "about" section. Cool.
    Then I say: What is going to happen if the owner decides to update the phone?
    So I go to "System updates" and it is already downloading....what? The ZVJ update.
    What the hell?
    So I say f***k it. We'll see what it does. I'm thinking it's gonna fail for sure.
    What does it do? Downloads, verifies, and simply reboots to android normally WITHOUT errors and it is still rooted. WTF?
    So I check it again and now it says there is no updates available.
    No biggie but I found that strange. What do you think, OP?
    It probably already decided to download the update when you updated. There are separate processes to check for updates and to download updates. Once your phone decides to download the update, the process that checks whether you need the update is not involved anymore.

If you are rooted with ZVJ, it would have installed Xionia custom recovery. The OTA will not be installed with Xionia (precautionary measure) even though it was downloaded.

It should remove itself, but if it doesn't check your /cache directory and get rid of the update.zip so it doesn't take up space.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast