[How-To] Automated Rooting of LS670ZVD/ZVH/ZVJ

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so reference section option a is the way to go? I think I will want to go with gingerrom with gingerkernel to see if that works for me for now.
If you wanted rooted ZVJ Radio and ROM, then I was suggesting you revert to ZVD.

Then use Option A in the first post to root it.

Then use Option B in the first post to install ZVJ and root.

Option A in the reference section (2nd post) is something you would install after getting the ZVJ radio (or if you currently had the ZVH radio), though most people would probably want the ZVJ radio.

Reactions: ctgova

ctgova

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I was talking about the reference section in the ZVD downgrade thread. I am now stock ZVD and ready to root it. Thank you again for the long distance troubleshooting.

Kelemvor33

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
So I have an S with rooted ZVH via the Zerg thing from a while back.

If following the steps in the OP, it will wipe my phone and remove all the apps right?

Assuming it does, is there an easy way to make a backup of all the apps I have to make it easier to put them back on when I'm done? Only reason I'm rooted is for wireless tether and I'm starting to see that stupid SD card ejection error again which ZVJ is supposed to fix... right?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So I have an S with rooted ZVH via the Zerg thing from a while back.

If following the steps in the OP, it will wipe my phone and remove all the apps right?

Assuming it does, is there an easy way to make a backup of all the apps I have to make it easier to put them back on when I'm done? Only reason I'm rooted is for wireless tether and I'm starting to see that stupid SD card ejection error again which ZVJ is supposed to fix... right?
It will only wipe your phone if you perform the factory reset step, otherwise it will keep your data. If you are going from ZVH I would just keep the data and skip the factory reset step.

I would make one nandroid (image of your system) using xionia and another application-level backup using Titanium. That way you can always go back completely to your old setup if things go real bad, otherwise, you can restore the app data a-la-carte.

I can't tell you if it fixes the sdcard ejection problem because I never had it on ZVH or ZVJ. Someone who had the problem can probably comment with more authority on whether it was fixed.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a rooted S with ZVH. If I accept the OTA update to ZVJ, will it remove the root? Thanks in advance
If you want rooted ZVJ, just follow the instructions in the first post. It will update you to ZVJ and you will be rooted.

If you accept the OTA ZVJ update, it will update you to ZVJ and leave you unrooted. Also you will need to revert back to ZVH or ZVD to end up with rooted ZVJ ROM/Radio.

You can theoretically just install the ZVJ ROM (keeping your ZVH radio) by just installing one of the community ZVJ ROM update.zip but most people will probably want the ZVJ ROM and radio, in which case, following the instructions in the first post is easiest.

checo346

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Strange.

Ok. So this is a little strange.
I started with rooted ZVH. Picked option B (ZVJ Root Procedure).
Everything went smooth. Definitely rooted. Thanks sfhub!!
Ok. Saw ZVJ settings all over the "about" section. Cool.
Then I say: What is going to happen if the owner decides to update the phone?
So I go to "System updates" and it is already downloading....what? The ZVJ update.
What the hell?
So I say f***k it. We'll see what it does. I'm thinking it's gonna fail for sure.
What does it do? Downloads, verifies, and simply reboots to android normally WITHOUT errors and it is still rooted. WTF?
So I check it again and now it says there is no updates available.
No biggie but I found that strange. What do you think, OP?

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Strange.

Ok. So this is a little strange.
I started with rooted ZVH. Picked option B (ZVJ Root Procedure).
Everything went smooth. Definitely rooted. Thanks sfhub!!
Ok. Saw ZVJ settings all over the "about" section. Cool.
Then I say: What is going to happen if the owner decides to update the phone?
So I go to "System updates" and it is already downloading....what? The ZVJ update.
What the hell?
So I say f***k it. We'll see what it does. I'm thinking it's gonna fail for sure.
What does it do? Downloads, verifies, and simply reboots to android normally WITHOUT errors and it is still rooted. WTF?
So I check it again and now it says there is no updates available.
No biggie but I found that strange. What do you think, OP?
It probably already decided to download the update when you updated. There are separate processes to check for updates and to download updates. Once your phone decides to download the update, the process that checks whether you need the update is not involved anymore.

If you are rooted with ZVJ, it would have installed Xionia custom recovery. The OTA will not be installed with Xionia (precautionary measure) even though it was downloaded.

It should remove itself, but if it doesn't check your /cache directory and get rid of the update.zip so it doesn't take up space.

Drakahr

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey thank you for all of the hard work, I have a bit of experience, but this still looked a little daunting, but the process was a breeze. I started out with a stock zvd-unrooted and upgraded to the stock zvj-unrooted. following instructions braught it back down to zvd, and used to automated process. installed ginger rom, powermod, and ginger kernel. again everything went without a hitch. my phone is super fast, love the trim of the rom, but I've noticed that the only issue I have is that my download speeds suck, about 1/5th or what I was working with before. I assume this has something to do with the radio. any advice on a soulution to this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

doolick

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Stuck at pushing update.zip - just hung there for a LONG time.

I started with stock ZVD unrooted (reverted from ZVH update, tried a ROM or two, then put the stock ZVD back on). I rooted using option A, rebooted the phone, got a backup of my stock config, did a factory reset, wiped cache, etc, then rebooted and started back in with option B, zvj root. Stuck on step A of that....

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Stuck at pushing update.zip - just hung there for a LONG time.

I started with stock ZVD unrooted (reverted from ZVH update, tried a ROM or two, then put the stock ZVD back on). I rooted using option A, rebooted the phone, got a backup of my stock config, did a factory reset, wiped cache, etc, then rebooted and started back in with option B, zvj root. Stuck on step A of that....
Did you make sure USB debugging is enabled? After your factory reset, it was probably disabled.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that the only issue I have is that my download speeds suck, about 1/5th or what I was working with before. I assume this has something to do with the radio. any advice on a soulution to this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
It might be a login issue forcing you to 1xrtt. Try update profile under about phone.

If that doesn't help try ##72786# reset in dialer (you'll need MSL)

It could also be a temporary problem with the tower you are using. The symptoms of that are if you travel around and get decent speeds but they are slow in a particular location.

doolick

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Did you make sure USB debugging is enabled? After your factory reset, it was probably disabled.

says USB debugging connected. I also selected to keep the screen awake while charging. I have not tried disabling/enabling USB debugging or another reboot of the phone. I did terminate the batch file on push: copy2sd-zvj/update.zip -> /sdcard/update.zip and then ran that step again, now stuck at the same place... Would "fix permissions" help this?

other thoughts... my antivirus is disabled, on Vista does cmd need to be run as admin?

(update) I've tried a couple of my thoughts out, and didn't get very far, but I did notice a different amount of the update.zip had copied each time - I'm going to give it about 30min and see if it's just slow. This is weird because I just copied my info from the stock 2GB sdcard over to a new 8GB C10 Kingston card, should be fast...

*** UPDATE #2 ***
Lord have mercy it started working! I ummm... think I uhhh... terminated the batch, disabled debugging, enabled USB storage, no zipfile at all, disabled USB, rebooted manually to recovery and found stock recovery (zvj I presume), said crap I can't do anything here, rebooted to Android, turned on debugging, hooked up the USB, tried again, and it worked. wtf - moving on... Sorry for wasting your time =)

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
*** UPDATE #2 ***
Lord have mercy it started working! I ummm... think I uhhh... terminated the batch, disabled debugging, enabled USB storage, no zipfile at all, disabled USB, rebooted manually to recovery and found stock recovery (zvj I presume), said crap I can't do anything here, rebooted to Android, turned on debugging, hooked up the USB, tried again, and it worked. wtf - moving on... Sorry for wasting your time =)
I think your USB connection switched to 1.x mode instead of 2.0 mode. This can happen because of iffy cables or driver issues.

On USB 1.x it takes a LOT longer to copy the files over.