1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Boot Android From SD Card?

Is there any way to boot the rom from the sd card and use all of the internal memory as like a ram disk? If that is possible would that be more efficient?

ROM
    CM10(u jelly?)

Default Re: Boot Android From SD Card?

Quote Originally Posted by duffieldj1 View Post
    Is there any way to boot the rom from the sd card and use all of the internal memory as like a ram disk? If that is possible would that be more efficient?
    No. but its a good thought.

Actually, where I work, we build basic small motherboards that can boot Linux from a sd card, and we've also been able to port android 2.3 to it. All the files are on the sd card including the system and memory partition.

ROM
    CM10(u jelly?)

Quote Originally Posted by xOptimus View Post
    Actually, where I work, we build basic small motherboards that can boot Linux from a sd card, and we've also been able to port android 2.3 to it. All the files are on the sd card including the system and memory partition.
    That involves redesigning the motherboards for the phones which would allow booting from the sd card. As far as i know the SD card isnt even mounted until the ROM(or recovery) tells it to mount. Which means it is hardcoded to boot from internal memory. If not then a comepletely custom bootloader would have to be made to mount the sdcard and load from it.
    Banned

Couldn't the phone tell its self to mount the SD card automatically when booted?

ROM
    CM10(u jelly?)

Quote Originally Posted by pimpjuice1992 View Post
    Couldn't the phone tell its self to mount the SD card automatically when booted?
    Thats what i was refering to with the custom bootloader.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by me2151 View Post
    No. but its a good thought.
    I heard that to use an android port on the HTC HD2 they had to completely run it from the sd card because of Windows Phone 7 and complications with installing android to the internal memory, so I thought if it where possible on the Optimus S there would be a way to better utilize the SD Card and internal memory
    Banned

ROM
    Reflash Miui every2-3days

Yes. You can run android from the SD card for an HD2, but Idk about these Optimus. The HD2 can handle almost anything you throw at it.

Go check the XDA and look at all the roms....

These phones have lower quality, but still. Idk.

On the HD2, the file was made for WP6(Windows Phone0

The original Nook Color could boot from SDcard too.

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

Quote Originally Posted by gedster314 View Post
    The original Nook Color could boot from SDcard too.
    Indeed it could, because that's how it was designed. Theoretically one could port Tassadar's MultiROM to the Optimus S, but it would be much slower than native booting.