[MOD] GPS fix v3 4/21

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I found a big gps performance gain on reborn, cm9 and gingerrom. As a service tech, I drive upwards of 180 miles a day (as little as 40 miles, too). I make between 8 and 12 stops. I use the gps intensely. I really see a BIG difference.

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Also, I found that the routing was vastly improved when I added those two files to /data/gps. But, to be fair, it was also around the same time that Google updated Maps.

Thraeryn

DEVASTATOR
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Hm. Maps locks on fine, but when I try to check in to locations on 4sq, it throws an "invalid geo coordinates" error. Yelp doesn't seem to like the GPS output it gets, either. Any ideas?

Thraeryn

DEVASTATOR
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Hm, I didn't report my final findings here. Oops.

SO! GPS never worked with any of my apps aside from Maps, and generally borked location output even with wifi service on. I tried to flash the "return to stock" zip and it seemed to install correctly, but didn't fix the output issue. In the end, I re-flashed the ROM and kernel I was using; only that made GPS work again across the board.

Haven't tried it on the latest ROM I'm using. Not likely to. I'm glad it works for others.

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry it didn't work for you. You can try just changing the NTP_SERVER and add three more lines to the /system/etc/gps.conf in thekravens a10:

Code:
NTP_SERVER=0.north-america.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=1.north-america.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=2.north-america.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=3.north-america.pool.ntp.org

Those will make the gps use the four time clocks closest to you for a faster lock.

Other than that, I have no idea why yours didn't work.

Reactions: Thraeryn

Thraeryn

DEVASTATOR
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry it didn't work for you. You can try just changing the NTP_SERVER and add three more lines to the /system/etc/gps.conf in thekravens a10:

Code:
NTP_SERVER=0.north-america.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=1.north-america.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=2.north-america.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=3.north-america.pool.ntp.org

Those will make the gps use the four time clocks closest to you for a faster lock.

Other than that, I have no idea why yours didn't work.

Thanks. I really have no idea, either, especially when I seem to be an isolated case. I may give those changes a shot.