[MOD] GPS fix v3 4/21

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
GPS Fix v3

I've noticed in the past few days that some people are having gps lock issues. Namely lock speed and lost signal. I found a script mod that makes adjustments to my gps.conf which makes my gps use different gps/time servers than what Sprint or LG uses. I get instant locks and I lost signal only once. But I moved 15 feet and relocked. I use both my gps and bluetooth for about 8-10hrs a day.

There are multiple sources for this "fastlock" fix all across the internet. I can't say that this is all me. This is from other dedicated android users and developers. All I did was make it flashable.

Version 3 has the same gps.conf. I've added a gps directory to /data and added secgps.conf and a gps "helper" file called lto.dat. I didn't have too far to drive today, only 5 stops, so I can't honestly say that the new files helped. But they didn't hurt my usage in any way, either. This is a "try it if you want, no guarantees" version and should also be the last version.

The gps.conf file:
Code:
NTP_SERVER=0.north-america.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=1.north-america.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=2.north-america.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=3.north-america.pool.ntp.org
XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

# DEBUG LEVELS: 0 - none, 1 - Error, 2 - Warning, 3 - Info
#               4 - Debug, 5 - Verbose
DEBUG_LEVEL = 0

# Intermediate position report, 1=enable, 0=disable
INTERMEDIATE_POS=1

# Accuracy threshold for intermediate positions 
# less accurate positions are ignored, 0 for passing all positions
ACCURACY_THRES=0

################################
##### AGPS server settings #####

# FOR SUPL SUPPORT, set the following
SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com
SUPL_PORT=7276
SUPL_NO_SECURE_PORT=7276
SUPL_SECURE_PORT=7276

# FOR C2K PDE SUPPORT, set the following
# C2K_HOST=c2k.pde.com or IP
# C2K_PORT=1234

# EXTRA SETTINGS

CURRENT_CARRIER=common
DEFAULT_AGPS_ENABLE=TRUE
DEFAULT_SSL_ENABLE=FALSE

# TRUE for "User Plane", FALSE for "Control Plane"
DEFAULT_USER_PLANE=TRUE
If you decide that you would rather copy and paste everything into your gps.conf, then remember to:

If you go about the manual way, be sure to chmod the file to 644 or rw--r--r and chown it back to root.

I've added a revert-to-stock flashable zi

Last edited:

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: [MOD] GPS fix

I can totally copy & paste stuff, but AC lets you upload zip files up to 10MB. If you choose to upload it, make sure you mention something about the signature verification, as needed. :)

Does this mod work equally well on all recent basebands or just some?

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

I've only tested it on ZVJ/GingerRom-v1.0.

And the zip is signed... :D

But you may want to make a nandroid backup before flashing..... this is a heavily modified file....

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

lol... dropbox works as a file host? I did not know that! And I already have both box and dropbox accounts..... sorry bro! Do they give you more space if you refer someone?

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

I just did the copy paste method and tested it with ZVD Reborn ROM 2.2.4 and GPS Status. Wow! It took disabling my firewall and rebooting for it to kick in, but that is MUCH quicker than before. Now I just need to figure out what else GPS is using that I have disabled in firewall....

If you go about the manual way, be sure to chmod the file to 644 or rw--r--r and chown it back to root.

Thanks!

Reactions: Buddlespit

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

lol... dropbox works as a file host? I did not know that! And I already have both box and dropbox accounts..... sorry bro! Do they give you more space if you refer someone?
He's been taking dropbox referrals in lieu of donations for GingerROM and I don't blame him one bit. :)

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Yes, they do. 500mb per referral up to 16gigs extra. I have box also but dropbox is so damn easy and more convenient.

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

Do you have a link to your source?

I wish I did. I've been using this gps.conf since gingerrom first came out. I had found 2-3 different threads that matched and called themselves tweaks on xda. Since they all matched, I used it and haven't had a problem.

And, of course, a quick google for it isn't working for me. I have to go to a meeting this morning, but I'm off for the rest of the day. I'll come back and look again.

edit: A few more minutes of searching brought this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1060963. With the exception of the country code for pool.ntp.org, it looks identical to what I have.

In my search, I did find that us.pool.ntp.org could be used instead of north-america.pool.ntp.org. I ran a ping on both and got identical times, so I don't think it would help any to change it.

Last edited:

mobius1484

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I flashed this but haven't had a chance to test it yet. Hoping to see good things.

Out of curiosity, do you think there would be any benefit of using both of the US based servers? Like two on the current one and two of the other one you mentioned?

:EDIT: I tested this myself making server lines 1 and 2 us.pool.ntp.org. Using the diagnostic tool GPS accuracy went from 8 meters to 4.

Last edited:

MonKei

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

I wasn't having problems with GPS before, but this definitely made locking in a lot faster..
Thanks for the mod!

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

Out of curiosity, do you think there would be any benefit of using both of the US based servers? Like two on the current one and two of the other one you mentioned?

I saw one script that had the four regional and the four local servers. You can try using just the locals by changing north-america to us. Like I had pointed out earlier, my ping tests gave me the same ping times, but I'm in Virginia.... Ping tests speeds may prove different somewhere else.

mobius1484

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I saw one script that had the four regional and the four local servers. You can try using just the locals by changing north-america to us. Like I had pointed out earlier, my ping tests gave me the same ping times, but I'm in Virginia.... Ping tests speeds may prove different somewhere else.

I just edited my post. I used diagnostic for accuracy. I'm really curious to see if anyone else can reproduce the results.

I'm in Ohio btw.

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

Try setting all four to us. You can also try changing INTERMEDIATE_POS=0 to 1. I'm curious to see if that would change anything....

mobius1484

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Try setting all four to us. You can also try changing INTERMEDIATE_POS=0 to 1. I'm curious to see if that would change anything....

I'll much about with both here in a second.

My original logic was out of the four servers to give it two choices hoping it would better likelihood of better accuracy.

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

If I remember what I had read, the north-american servers use all of the servers, where the us servers just use the north-american servers in the us. BTW, I'm typing us and north-american in lower-case and using the hypen for a reason. I'm not being lazy...;)

mobius1484

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
If I remember what I had read, the north-american servers use all of the servers, where the us servers just use the north-american servers in the us. BTW, I'm typing us and north-american in lower-case and using the hypen for a reason. I'm not being lazy...;)

Yeah, I figured as much. :) Honestly, i think it was better the original way. Using all servers as us.pool gave good final lock but imho took a few seconds longer to achieve it.

What exactly does toggling the accuracy threshold to 1 do?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia