1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Wannabe kewl

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations TW-JB

Default [MOD] GPS fix v3 4/21

GPS Fix v3

I've noticed in the past few days that some people are having gps lock issues. Namely lock speed and lost signal. I found a script mod that makes adjustments to my gps.conf which makes my gps use different gps/time servers than what Sprint or LG uses. I get instant locks and I lost signal only once. But I moved 15 feet and relocked. I use both my gps and bluetooth for about 8-10hrs a day.

There are multiple sources for this "fastlock" fix all across the internet. I can't say that this is all me. This is from other dedicated android users and developers. All I did was make it flashable.

Version 3 has the same gps.conf. I've added a gps directory to /data and added secgps.conf and a gps "helper" file called lto.dat. I didn't have too far to drive today, only 5 stops, so I can't honestly say that the new files helped. But they didn't hurt my usage in any way, either. This is a "try it if you want, no guarantees" version and should also be the last version.

The gps.conf file:
    Code:
    NTP_SERVER=0.north-america.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=1.north-america.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=2.north-america.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=3.north-america.pool.ntp.org
    XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
    XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
    XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

# DEBUG LEVELS: 0 - none, 1 - Error, 2 - Warning, 3 - Info
    #               4 - Debug, 5 - Verbose
    DEBUG_LEVEL = 0

# Intermediate position report, 1=enable, 0=disable
    INTERMEDIATE_POS=1

# Accuracy threshold for intermediate positions 
    # less accurate positions are ignored, 0 for passing all positions
    ACCURACY_THRES=0

################################
    ##### AGPS server settings #####

# FOR SUPL SUPPORT, set the following
    SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com
    SUPL_PORT=7276
    SUPL_NO_SECURE_PORT=7276
    SUPL_SECURE_PORT=7276

# FOR C2K PDE SUPPORT, set the following
    # C2K_HOST=c2k.pde.com or IP
    # C2K_PORT=1234

# EXTRA SETTINGS

CURRENT_CARRIER=common
    DEFAULT_AGPS_ENABLE=TRUE
    DEFAULT_SSL_ENABLE=FALSE

# TRUE for "User Plane", FALSE for "Control Plane"
    DEFAULT_USER_PLANE=TRUE
    If you decide that you would rather copy and paste everything into your gps.conf, then remember to:

Quote Originally Posted by epidenimus View Post
    If you go about the manual way, be sure to chmod the file to 644 or rw--r--r and chown it back to root.
    I've added a revert-to-stock flashable zi
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Buddlespit; 04-22-2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Added a revert-to-stock
    Racer of Elevators

ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

Default Re: [MOD] GPS fix

I can totally copy & paste stuff, but AC lets you upload zip files up to 10MB. If you choose to upload it, make sure you mention something about the signature verification, as needed.

Does this mod work equally well on all recent basebands or just some?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Wannabe kewl

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations TW-JB

I've only tested it on ZVJ/GingerRom-v1.0.

And the zip is signed...

But you may want to make a nandroid backup before flashing..... this is a heavily modified file....
    AC Forums Android Developer

ROM
    aosp - JellyBean

Dropbox FTW!
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Wannabe kewl

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations TW-JB

lol... dropbox works as a file host? I did not know that! And I already have both box and dropbox accounts..... sorry bro! Do they give you more space if you refer someone?
    Racer of Elevators

ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

I just did the copy paste method and tested it with ZVD Reborn ROM 2.2.4 and GPS Status. Wow! It took disabling my firewall and rebooting for it to kick in, but that is MUCH quicker than before. Now I just need to figure out what else GPS is using that I have disabled in firewall....

If you go about the manual way, be sure to chmod the file to 644 or rw--r--r and chown it back to root.

Thanks!
    Thanked by:
    Racer of Elevators

ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

Quote Originally Posted by Buddlespit View Post
    lol... dropbox works as a file host? I did not know that! And I already have both box and dropbox accounts..... sorry bro! Do they give you more space if you refer someone?
    He's been taking dropbox referrals in lieu of donations for GingerROM and I don't blame him one bit.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    Wannabe kewl

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations TW-JB

Quote Originally Posted by epidenimus View Post
    hmmmm.... good catch.... I'll add that to the OP
    AC Forums Android Developer

ROM
    aosp - JellyBean

Yes, they do. 500mb per referral up to 16gigs extra. I have box also but dropbox is so damn easy and more convenient.

ROM
    CM10(u jelly?)

mediafire......
    Also interesting script.

ROM
    RasbeanJelly/DanteRom v4

Do you have a link to your source?
    Thanked by:
    jstntp 
    jstntp likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Wannabe kewl

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations TW-JB

Quote Originally Posted by hlxanthus View Post
    Do you have a link to your source?
    I wish I did. I've been using this gps.conf since gingerrom first came out. I had found 2-3 different threads that matched and called themselves tweaks on xda. Since they all matched, I used it and haven't had a problem.

And, of course, a quick google for it isn't working for me. I have to go to a meeting this morning, but I'm off for the rest of the day. I'll come back and look again.

edit: A few more minutes of searching brought this: . With the exception of the country code for pool.ntp.org, it looks identical to what I have.

In my search, I did find that us.pool.ntp.org could be used instead of north-america.pool.ntp.org. I ran a ping on both and got identical times, so I don't think it would help any to change it.
    Last edited by Buddlespit; 04-18-2012 at 05:23 AM.
    "I drank what!?!?!" ~Socrates
    "Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor." ~NASA, 1965
    New users, click here!!
    Sprint Sammy GS3 | MB1 | Wicked Sensations JB v2.1 | TWRP 2.4.3.0

ROM
    CM10

I flashed this but haven't had a chance to test it yet. Hoping to see good things.

Out of curiosity, do you think there would be any benefit of using both of the US based servers? Like two on the current one and two of the other one you mentioned?

:EDIT: I tested this myself making server lines 1 and 2 us.pool.ntp.org. Using the diagnostic tool GPS accuracy went from 8 meters to 4.
    Last edited by mobius1484; 04-18-2012 at 04:53 PM.
    Thraeryn likes this.

ROM
    thekraven's CM9

I wasn't having problems with GPS before, but this definitely made locking in a lot faster..
    Thanks for the mod!
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    Wannabe kewl

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations TW-JB

Quote Originally Posted by mobius1484 View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you think there would be any benefit of using both of the US based servers? Like two on the current one and two of the other one you mentioned?
    I saw one script that had the four regional and the four local servers. You can try using just the locals by changing north-america to us. Like I had pointed out earlier, my ping tests gave me the same ping times, but I'm in Virginia.... Ping tests speeds may prove different somewhere else.
    "Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor." ~NASA, 1965
    New users, click here!!

ROM
    CM10

I saw one script that had the four regional and the four local servers. You can try using just the locals by changing north-america to us. Like I had pointed out earlier, my ping tests gave me the same ping times, but I'm in Virginia.... Ping tests speeds may prove different somewhere else.
    I just edited my post. I used diagnostic for accuracy. I'm really curious to see if anyone else can reproduce the results.

I'm in Ohio btw.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  
    Wannabe kewl

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations TW-JB

Try setting all four to us. You can also try changing INTERMEDIATE_POS=0 to 1. I'm curious to see if that would change anything....
    New users, click here!!

ROM
    CM10

Try setting all four to us. You can also try changing INTERMEDIATE_POS=0 to 1. I'm curious to see if that would change anything....
    I'll much about with both here in a second.

My original logic was out of the four servers to give it two choices hoping it would better likelihood of better accuracy.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    Wannabe kewl

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations TW-JB

If I remember what I had read, the north-american servers use all of the servers, where the us servers just use the north-american servers in the us. BTW, I'm typing us and north-american in lower-case and using the hypen for a reason. I'm not being lazy...
    New users, click here!!

ROM
    CM10

If I remember what I had read, the north-american servers use all of the servers, where the us servers just use the north-american servers in the us. BTW, I'm typing us and north-american in lower-case and using the hypen for a reason. I'm not being lazy...
    Yeah, I figured as much. Honestly, i think it was better the original way. Using all servers as us.pool gave good final lock but imho took a few seconds longer to achieve it.

What exactly does toggling the accuracy threshold to 1 do?
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  
    Wannabe kewl

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations TW-JB

Not accuracy threshold.... that should stay at 0 or something between 150 and maybe 300 (distance from your true position before "lock").

But I haven't been able to find a definition to the intermediate position report (INTERMEDIATE_POS=0). I would be curious to see if changing it from 0 to 1 makes a difference.
    New users, click here!!

ROM
    CM10

Oh okay. Gah, I'm an *****. lol. I totally had read that wrong. After seeing this and playing with it, I'm curious to see what the one in Kraven's CM7 looks like because I've always felt like that had great lock on.

:EDIT: Okay, so I downloaded a build, and checked the gps.conf Here's what I found. Also, it does have explanations that might help regarding intermediate and such.

I'm unsure if this would work on ZVJ? Not sure why it wouldn't as it's written for a GB ROM albeit a different version.

:EDIT2: Removed text so as not to confuse people. Adding file for OP to compare.

The attached file is NOT the GPS fix please refer to post #1
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mobius1484; 04-19-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

So you just have to flash the zip or do you have to do it manually?

ROM
    CM10

Quote Originally Posted by pilot03 View Post
    So you just have to flash the zip or do you have to do it manually?
    You can do either. Flashing the .zip is the easiest though.
    Thanked by:
    pilot03 likes this.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  
    Wannabe kewl

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations TW-JB

Quote Originally Posted by mobius1484 View Post
    Oh okay. Gah, I'm an *****. lol. I totally had read that wrong. After seeing this and playing with it, I'm curious to see what the one in Kraven's CM7 looks like because I've always felt like that had great lock on.

:EDIT: Okay, so I downloaded a build, and checked the gps.conf Here's what I found. Also, it does have explanations that might help regarding intermediate and such.

I'm unsure if this would work on ZVJ? Not sure why it wouldn't as it's written for a GB ROM albeit a different version.

:EDIT2: Removed text so as not to confuse people. Adding file for OP to compare.

The attached file is NOT the GPS fix please refer to post #1
    Hmm... I'll spend half my day on INTERMEDIATE_POS=0, then change it to 1 at lunch and see if I see a difference....
    New users, click here!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast