My Wife is worried.....

pdxguy77

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
My Wife is worried...She currently has the dreaded ZVH and sprint is trying to now push the ZVJ on to her phone. I told her to go ahead and let Sprint do it, just based on my current use of the rooted version of it. She wont let me root her phone :( Who is currently running stock ZVJ and what do you guys think.

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's better than zvh, I can tell you that much. The only problem I noticed was it still has the double tapping screen bug.

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
You could always do this.

Have her update, root it and install custom recovery and drews kernel only, then put stock recovery back on and unroot it that way she can't muck anything up. Keep the ZVJ update.zip on her card and if for some reason you need to, you can go to stock recovery and flash back to stock ZVJ.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
You could always do this.

Have her update, root it and install custom recovery and drews kernel only, then put stock recovery back on and unroot it that way she can't muck anything up. Keep the ZVJ update.zip on her card and if for some reason you need to, you can go to stock recovery and flash back to stock ZVJ.

jstntp is right, the only real issue is with the stock kernal. I would do this if you think you can talk her into it.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
She is running stock ZVH and she won't let you root it? You couldn't muck it up any worse than that ROM did! At this point, if she wants it to work right, you'll have to talk her into letting you do your magic with ZVJ or revert to stock ZVD. If her concern is that she or a kid might muck it up, then perhaps look at Superuser Elite, which allows you to put a password on the root functions.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You could just root and update it when she is asleep and see if she notices. Going from ZVH to ZVJ the UI is the same and you get bug fixes.

pdxguy77

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
She is running stock ZVH and she won't let you root it? You couldn't muck it up any worse than that ROM did! At this point, if she wants it to work right, you'll have to talk her into letting you do your magic with ZVJ or revert to stock ZVD. If her concern is that she or a kid might muck it up, then perhaps look at Superuser Elite, which allows you to put a password on the root functions.

yea she wont let me touch her phone...lol....she has seen me muck around with my phone and the roms on here..shes afraid......she doesnt understand how much better our phones are with custom roms and rooted...but its like talking to a wall...lol.....

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
yea she wont let me touch her phone...lol....she has seen me muck around with my phone and the roms on here..shes afraid......she doesnt understand how much better our phones are with custom roms and rooted...but its like talking to a wall...lol.....
You gotta find a hook. I told my GF that I could make it pink and purple and faster AND remove the noisy boot animation (all of which I was able to do easily) and she was interested. Then I did it while she was sleeping as a surprise. I'm happy to report that I am still alive and she loves it. :)

garwynn

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
You could just root and update it when she is asleep and see if she notices. Going from ZVH to ZVJ the UI is the same and you get bug fixes.

Ha! This is similar to what I did - she took a nap and I flashed, rooted and restored before she woke up. Only thing she noticed were her ringtones changed... but that's because I wiped data when I force flashed ZVD on there from HydroROM.

Bottom line - she'll probably be OK with it as long as it works.

One little note on ZVJ stock:
I did see it cut off 3G and then not go back on - not sure why. Had to reboot to get it to come back. Problem was she needed to send photos to her office at that time... didn't boost confidence on the new update. :/

garwynn

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

I was surprised that my better half allowed HydroROM. I just kept showing her stuff on my phone and she noticed it was faster. Next day I put it on her phone - she had the ringtone difference again (and I don't know how to save those settings...) but soon got over it and was happy with the phone sans the ZVH volume problem.

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if scifan has seen this thread, but he will tell you all a different wife phone rooting story, lol.

After a couple months, I think she finally started talking to him again.

JK scifan :p

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if scifan has seen this thread, but he will tell you all a different wife phone rooting story, lol.

After a couple months, I think she finally started talking to him again.

JK scifan :p

Lol! Seriously though...if my husband touched my phone after I told him not to, I would be furious. Even if I did like it better I would never admit it, just out of spite. Luckily it's the other way around though...I'm the one that talked him into letting me root his phone :p

Just let her update to zvj. Anything is better than zvh.

pdxguy77

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
thanks for all of your input....i havent found a way to backup her app specific data and her apps (for the what if scenario) that doesnt require root. but i got her pics and sms and music backed up.

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
try mybackup pro. When you restore apps, they won't be linked to the market, but you would than be rooted and than you could create a market link using a root app.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If something goes wrong, the procedure with wife is the same as with going to Sprint store. Play dumb, blame the OTA.

pdxguy77

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
lol i told the wife today after sprint tried pushing its update on her that her phone is getting rooted and a rom put on it...we are doing this our way not sprints way :)....backed everything up told her she would have to setup some minor things and now im making it BETTER :D

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
lol i told the wife today after sprint tried pushing its update on her that her phone is getting rooted and a rom put on it...we are doing this our way not sprints way :)....backed everything up told her she would have to setup some minor things and now im making it BETTER :D

Let her know that rooting and roms are only dangerous for the uninformed. For everyone else it makes our phone as wonderful as they SHOULD have been from sprint/lg

pdxguy77

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Let her know that rooting and roms are only dangerous for the uninformed. For everyone else it makes our phone as wonderful as they SHOULD have been from sprint/lg

agreed :) but im not telling her its rooted with a nonstock rom....Ill let her think its sprints O:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae