Rooted with Reborn Rom has question

Herduc

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my LG Optimus s with the Rborn Rom and want to ask if this will affect my network data speed. I was running speedtest on my phone and could not get more than 20KB!
I wonder is something on the rom that is causing to slow down or some of the settings on my phone. I did an PRL update rebooted and took off the battery several times but did not make any difference.
If anyone is running this rom on an LG optimus and using the hot spot please let my know if you are experiencing these issues.
Thanks

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I run Reborn ROM and Speedtest indicates that Sprint's 3G is comparable to a decent dialup connection. There is nothing in the ROM that would slow you down by default.

If you are concerned about what is going on and want to stop some background process from hogging your bandwidth, try installing a firewall, such as Droidwall.

Herduc

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Epidenimus, I was not sure if the rom could be causing that. But you said you are getting dial up speed on 3g? Seems very slow since should be getting and average of 550 to 700KBS?
I run speed test and used to get up to 1.2MBS, but generally it will run about 500KBS or less. With the new rom I could not get more than 50KBS which is certainly closer to dial speed.

Last edited:

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The speed really varies based on where you are sitting and what kind of traffic is on the network. A lot of it is on Sprint's end. From my chair at home, it's sometimes great and sometimes kinda sucks.

Not to point out the obvious, but Speedtest has two speed measures, kbps (mythical ISP marketing speed) and kB/s (a fair gauge of data transfer rates). The ratio between them is roughly 10:1. Is it possible that you set it on kB/s and are basing your reference on kbps? Just thinking.... I just ran it and scored 465/394 kbps.

The only other thing that comes to mind is to check the built-in Roaming app to make sure everything on the data side is set properly.

Reactions: Herduc

Herduc

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but I think it was reading right since I could not even log into face book or you tube and my email attachment took forever to load, but like you said it could be the location, I will do some more test at different places, seems like Sprint network is unpredictable on that matter.
About the built in Roaming app, is there any post that explains how the data settings should be?
Thanks.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
FWIW I'm using the same rom and just ran a speedtest on speakeasy and got the following results:

Download Speed: 660 kbps (82.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 333 kbps (41.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

I was also to surf facebook and view attachments without issue.

EDIT: If you would like I can run the test on an Optimus S running stock vd rom next week and post the results, but I doubt they will be much different.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Very-Annoyed