Cease and Desist

rnorris97

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Sooo, I got a cease an desist letter in the mail Saturday , from a law firm claiming to represent Google. It told me to stop downloading the source code from a number of devices. Is it real?

twtippets

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
So, as I have found out Oracle is represented by Boies Schiller Flexner of Armonk, N.Y., and Morrison & Foerster of Palo Alto, Calif. and Google is represented by Keker & Van Nest of San Francisco. If the letter isn't from one of those firms then you are probably out of the loop. However it does seem fishy, Google doesn't care about the software, Google is in it for the advertising. Oracle would be the one issuing the cease and desist since it is their "java" that they are fighting for. Also, Oracle is filing the suit, not Google.

Last edited:

kenny70452

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Lifehacker

story above might be related.

edit

a snippit says 15 minutes ago but that was just the snippet not the story thus the story above is old news. sorry.

Last edited:

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
It wouldn't be the first time that this has happened. The Cyanogen situation was due to them including Google Maps and other closed-source programs in the ROM.

Edit: Kenny beat me to it.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
There should be contact information in the letter. Call the firm, don't email, and speak to whomever signed the letter. If they don't answer, leave a message, but call every day until you get someone on the line. Don't bother contacting Google. Ask them to explain exactly what you're doing wrong. And I have to thrown this: if it's a serious enough issue for you, you may want to seek legal counsel.

I've actually never looked at the open source license for android. I'm wondering what exactly it says with respect to what is open and available for public use under the open license and what is not.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
There should be contact information in the letter. Call the firm, don't email, and speak to whomever signed the letter. If they don't answer, leave a message, but call every day until you get someone on the line. Don't bother contacting Google. Ask them to explain exactly what you're doing wrong. And I have to thrown this: if it's a serious enough issue for you, you may want to seek legal counsel.

I've actually never looked at the open source license for android. I'm wondering what exactly it says with respect to what is open and available for public use under the open license and what is not.

If the letter is real, the above advise should be followed. But I perwonally can't recommend (potentially expensive) legal advice until seeing the document.

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
When you call them, dial *67 and than the number. that protects you from caller id and lists your number as unknown so you don't recieve any nastygrams from them if They happen to be shifty

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site

What the hell?

You need to contact the Electronic Frontier Foundation immediately. Here's a link to their contact info: https://www.eff.org/about/contact

Call their main office and ask them what you should do. DO NOT respond to the letter without legal representation.

Also, that's a bull-crap C&D notice. The phrase "copying Android" means absolutely nothing since Android itself is open-source software. How can you have "unlawful copying of Google Android Source Code" when GOOGLE provides clear instructions on how to COPY and BUILD Android? I threw this on Google+ (hope you don't mind) because this is total nonsense.

Last edited:

Warlord721

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Catanese & Wells? Well a quick Google search shows that they were representing the dubious MyCleanPC.com and Doublemyspeed.com (remeber the cheesy TV commericials?) programs that supposedly "clean and speed up your PC" against some guy that blogged that the software was a scam. Didn't sound they they got anywhere with it either... I'm not going to say you have nothing to worry about, but seems to me Google would have some "bigger" lawfirm than these guys....

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Catanese & Wells? Well a quick Google search shows that they were representing the dubious MyCleanPC.com and Doublemyspeed.com (remeber the cheesy TV commericials?) programs that supposedly "clean and speed up your PC" against some guy that blogged that the software was a scam. Didn't sound they they got anywhere with it either... I'm not going to say you have nothing to worry about, but seems to me Google would have some "bigger" lawfirm than these guys....

Oh God....

Well rnorris97, I'm going to get in contact with a few friends in San Francisco and see what the hell this is all about.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I thought Cease and Desist letters were hand delivered by a paralegal, or sent by registered letter. If it was regular mail, how do they know you got it?

Personally, it sounds fishy to me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci