Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock 2.3 ZVJ , Stock 2.1

Exclamation Cease and Desist

Sooo, I got a cease an desist letter in the mail Saturday , from a law firm claiming to represent Google. It told me to stop downloading the source code from a number of devices. Is it real?
    Always try, again, again, and again (unless you brick your phone) lmmfao. - Issac Newton

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

Default Re: Cease and Desist

Check your PM box, please. There's a chance it could be a fake but in the event it's not I don't want you to take any chances.

ROM
    MIUI GB

Why would downloading something opensource be a bad thing? (unless it's not opensource) someone please explain.

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

Nowhere was "opensource" said. It COULD have something to do with Google vs Oracle but the jury's out until I see the actual letter.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    LeWa/Bobzhome

So, as I have found out Oracle is represented by Boies Schiller Flexner of Armonk, N.Y., and Morrison & Foerster of Palo Alto, Calif. and Google is represented by Keker & Van Nest of San Francisco. If the letter isn't from one of those firms then you are probably out of the loop. However it does seem fishy, Google doesn't care about the software, Google is in it for the advertising. Oracle would be the one issuing the cease and desist since it is their "java" that they are fighting for. Also, Oracle is filing the suit, not Google.
    Last edited by twtippets; 04-23-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Lifehacker

story above might be related.

edit

a snippit says 15 minutes ago but that was just the snippet not the story thus the story above is old news. sorry.
    Last edited by kenny70452; 04-23-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: not current info

It wouldn't be the first time that this has happened. The Cyanogen situation was due to them including Google Maps and other closed-source programs in the ROM.

Edit: Kenny beat me to it.

There should be contact information in the letter. Call the firm, don't email, and speak to whomever signed the letter. If they don't answer, leave a message, but call every day until you get someone on the line. Don't bother contacting Google. Ask them to explain exactly what you're doing wrong. And I have to thrown this: if it's a serious enough issue for you, you may want to seek legal counsel.

I've actually never looked at the open source license for android. I'm wondering what exactly it says with respect to what is open and available for public use under the open license and what is not.

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

Quote Originally Posted by Small_law View Post
    There should be contact information in the letter. Call the firm, don't email, and speak to whomever signed the letter. If they don't answer, leave a message, but call every day until you get someone on the line. Don't bother contacting Google. Ask them to explain exactly what you're doing wrong. And I have to thrown this: if it's a serious enough issue for you, you may want to seek legal counsel.

I've actually never looked at the open source license for android. I'm wondering what exactly it says with respect to what is open and available for public use under the open license and what is not.
    If the letter is real, the above advise should be followed. But I perwonally can't recommend (potentially expensive) legal advice until seeing the document.

Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    ROM
    ZVD/ICE CM9 Alpha

The article from lifehacker appears to have been from September 2009...

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

Quote Originally Posted by kenny70452 View Post
    Lifehacker

story above might be related.

edit

a snippit says 15 minutes ago but that was just the snippet not the story thus the story above is old news. sorry.
    That's from 2009...the whole gapps thing.

ROM
    MIUIgb | AOKP

Isn't the Cease and Desist the whole headline of the lawcase that Google had with Cyanogenmod?
    Troll Headhunter

ROM
    Drew's CMX/Stock/Stock

When you call them, dial *67 and than the number. that protects you from caller id and lists your number as unknown so you don't recieve any nastygrams from them if They happen to be shifty
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

ROM
    Always try, again, again, and again (unless you brick your phone) lmmfao. - Issac Newton

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

What the hell?

You need to contact the Electronic Frontier Foundation immediately. Here's a link to their contact info: https://www.eff.org/about/contact

Call their main office and ask them what you should do. DO NOT respond to the letter without legal representation.

Also, that's a bull-crap C&D notice. The phrase "copying Android" means absolutely nothing since Android itself is open-source software. How can you have "unlawful copying of Google Android Source Code" when GOOGLE provides clear instructions on how to COPY and BUILD Android? I threw this on Google+ (hope you don't mind) because this is total nonsense.
    Last edited by drewwalton19216801; 04-23-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    Themer. You've seen them

ROM
    Stock

Wow... hope I don't get one of those letters.

ROM
    HydroROM Beta2

Catanese & Wells? Well a quick Google search shows that they were representing the dubious MyCleanPC.com and Doublemyspeed.com (remeber the cheesy TV commericials?) programs that supposedly "clean and speed up your PC" against some guy that blogged that the software was a scam. Didn't sound they they got anywhere with it either... I'm not going to say you have nothing to worry about, but seems to me Google would have some "bigger" lawfirm than these guys....
    ShadowEO likes this.

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord721 View Post
    Catanese & Wells? Well a quick Google search shows that they were representing the dubious MyCleanPC.com and Doublemyspeed.com (remeber the cheesy TV commericials?) programs that supposedly "clean and speed up your PC" against some guy that blogged that the software was a scam. Didn't sound they they got anywhere with it either... I'm not going to say you have nothing to worry about, but seems to me Google would have some "bigger" lawfirm than these guys....
    Oh God....

Well rnorris97, I'm going to get in contact with a few friends in San Francisco and see what the hell this is all about.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by drewwalton19216801 View Post
    Oh God....

Well rnorris97, I'm going to get in contact with a few friends in San Francisco and see what the hell this is all about.
    Ok thank you, because I was confused whether I should stop or ignore it, because it didn't even come certified mail.
    Android Addict

ROM
    Stock rooted 4.1.2 JB

I thought Cease and Desist letters were hand delivered by a paralegal, or sent by registered letter. If it was regular mail, how do they know you got it?

Personally, it sounds fishy to me.
    @Android_Lee
    Galaxy Note III
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 5
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 7
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Rooted

I wonder if it has anything to do with your rooting utility? I don't really see why it would, but the reason I think it may is the date you posted it is the same date the C&D letter was written. I agree that it coming via regular mail does seem very odd.

Global Posts
    1,480 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP!!!

Wow. Interesting situation. Seems like a well thought out prank. Orrrrr...., mycleanpc.com spyware on your computer allowed them to see what you were doing and they wanted to do it for some personal gain? (A far stretch and I'm still not able to justify why it would be beneficial for them to do this, but I don't know why people do a lot of things...)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    "Th- th- thinking of a master plan"

ROM
    MIUIgb | AOKP

My guess on the situation would be that it's definitely odd that they were able to pick out a guy that had a rooted phone (my guess is they weren't going against odds here, and actually had good evidence). I've learned recently that some websites could tell whether or not you were running Cyanogenmod and there was a big scenario on that. But yeah, get in contact with your legal people to make sure that you're not dealing with anything huge here. I would leave this in Drew's hands, as he seems pretty interested and knowledgeful on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by gannon5197 View Post
    My guess on the situation would be that it's definitely odd that they were able to pick out a guy that had a rooted phone (my guess is they weren't going against odds here, and actually had good evidence). I've learned recently that some websites could tell whether or not you were running Cyanogenmod and there was a big scenario on that. But yeah, get in contact with your legal people to make sure that you're not dealing with anything huge here. I would leave this in Drew's hands, as he seems pretty interested and knowledgeful on the subject.
    I doubt website code detecting if he is running Cyanogen or anything was used. My guess is they got their info from an online forum like this one. Plus it makes it easy since his full name, facebook, city, and state are all in his profile. Now whether it is legit or not I have no idea, but a phone call to the law office would clear that up pretty quick. And if it is legit, I wouldn't say anything until you talk to a lawyer.

ROM
    CM10

I agree this thing sounds,a bit fishy. keep us informed.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast