Read me first: Welcome to the LG Optimus S

kylemaguire

Resident Teen
Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
(Note: I would love to get this stickied one day. I need your guys help. What links would you wanted to have when you started here? I want this thread to be a community updated welcome guide. I whipped this out on my OptiS in about an hour. Please feel free to add and criticize. I will update this with your feedback)

Congrats on picking out this phone. Even though Sprint has abandoned us, we are still here.

Let's get some DO'S and DON'Ts out first.

Do:
Provide details on issues. Saying my phone doesn't work, gets us nowhere.
Be friendly.
Use decent grammar.
Read the stickies.
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS.

DON'T:
Write a post asking for someone to PM you and do all the work for you.
Post in the wrong forum.
SKIP ANY INSTRUCTIONS.
Use ROM MANAGER. Why? it will brick your phone. Rom manager tries to install Clockworkmod, a recovery that is not made for this phone.

Terms to know:
Root- gives you full access to the phone ( superuser)
Rom-your phone's operating system
Stock Recovery- Recovery that came with your phone.
Custom recovery- allows you to put new roms on, do a full backup (nandroid), wipe your phone to factory settings.
Kernel-layer underneath the rom.
Dirty flash- installing a rom with out wiping your personal data.
Nandroid backup-a bit for bit backup of your phone. Stores on to SD card. Must have custom recovery.
ZVD-Android 2.2.2 (Froyo)
ZVH- Android 2.3 (Gingerbread. This update had so many issues that Sprint recalled it.)
ZVJ- Android 2.3 (Gingerbread. Take 2)
Baseband - this allows your phone to communicate with the cell towers.

Read (insert guide link)

Last edited:

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Great etiquette tips! Rude and illiterate people annoy me as much as anyone else and I try not to come across that way in any of my posts.

I am always looking for good suggestions for the Welcome Guide here. However, with the exception of your last few lines about radios, which are a little vague and misleading, none of this pertains specifically to the Optimus S. You may find greater reception at a more general section on AC.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Not to be rude or anything a lot of this stuff is already mentioned in the stickies or the rules. Great job though on putting this together in a hour.

stevek216

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, this was great of you to put together! But if you look at the stickies already there, there's a welcome guide (I think by epidenimus, actually) which mentions a lot of the same stuff and goes into more detail, along with including a bunch of links. Maybe go through that post and see if anything is lacking, or inconsistent with yours, and then ask him to modify it if you find anything?

Edit:

Though I like your nomenclature, there are like four or five stickies, some with complicated baseband numbers and the like. It's nice for a complete newbie to see clearly READ HERE FIRST. And yours does have the advantage of brevity, which makes it more likely to be read. So maybe it wouldn't be totally redundant, especially if it said "if you still want to proceed with rooting, have a look at this thread <link to epidenimus's thread>".

kylemaguire

Resident Teen
Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, this was great of you to put together! But if you look at the stickies already there, there's a welcome guide (I think by epidenimus, actually) which mentions a lot of the same stuff and goes into more detail, along with including a bunch of links. Maybe go through that post and see if anything is lacking, or inconsistent with yours, and then ask him to modify it if you find anything?

Edit:

Though I like your nomenclature, there are like four or five stickies, some with complicated baseband numbers and the like. It's nice for a complete newbie to see clearly READ HERE FIRST. And yours does have the advantage of brevity, which makes it more likely to be read. So maybe it wouldn't be totally redundant, especially if it said "if you still want to proceed with rooting, have a look at this thread <link to epidenimus's thread>".

That's what planned on doing. Something like "go here if you want to do xyz" instead of having this redundant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12