Is there an app that's somewhat similar to Audacity?

blockhunsberger

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I need an app that has the basic recording features of Audacity, the Windows/Mac audio editing/recording program. By that, I mean an app that I can record one track, and overdub it with another track with the first one playing. Anyone know of such a thing? I've Googled it, and searched this forum. If I can't get anything out of this, I'll have to conclude that it doesn't exist.

prowlingfox

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I need an app that has the basic recording features of Audacity, the Windows/Mac audio editing/recording program. By that, I mean an app that I can record one track, and overdub it with another track with the first one playing. Anyone know of such a thing? I've Googled it, and searched this forum. If I can't get anything out of this, I'll have to conclude that it doesn't exist.

Derp. A recording interface app for an android phone? An entry-level android phone at that?

How would you even record an audio track on a phone? The built-in mic? The 3.5 mm line-in? Not only would both of those render terrible results, but such an app would require a great deal of processing power....

Why the heck would you want to How the heck would you mix audio on a 3 inch screen?

You be trollin' for sure.

Woah, wrong section, sorry.
Yes, also this.

blockhunsberger

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, I've used the Hi-Q MP3 recording app alone to record my music, it has fairly good quality after editing. I'd imagine it'd run just about fine after overclocking. I just need the basic recording and overdubbing features.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
You be trollin' for sure.

That's not cool. Allow me to quote a forum rule about trolling:

Trolling - Do not post inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages to provoke users into responding in a negative way. Calling another member a troll is also a form of trolling.

OP yes this is definitely the wrong section. To try to answer your question, I don't think you'll have much luck finding exactly what you're looking for (which doesn't really answer the question, but it is what it is :p).

prowlingfox

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
That's not cool. Allow me to quote a forum rule about trolling:

OP yes this is definitely the wrong section. To try to answer your question, I don't think you'll have much luck finding exactly what you're looking for (which doesn't really answer the question, but it is what it is :p).

My bad, it was not meant to provoke.

prowlingfox

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, well I appreciate the information. Thank you, to you both.

Looking back at my post, it came off as condescending, which wasn't my intention. I was merely confused, as I wasn't quite sure exactly what it was that you were looking for. But the point of my post was indeed that you're not going to find something like that on smartphones currently....maybe in the future though :p

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Looking back at my post, it came off as condescending, which wasn't my intention. I was merely confused, as I wasn't quite sure exactly what it was that you were looking for. But the point of my post was indeed that you're not going to find something like that on smartphones currently....maybe in the future though :p

No harm, no foul. Try the "Preview Post" button, it works wonders! :p :cool:

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Audacity is great on Linux, too! And it's GPL'd and open source, so anything is possible.

I can see uses for this type of software, even though most users may not take advantage of the extensive features of Audacity on a phone. Then again, I have a friend who made an entire demo album on an iPad2 without the use of a keyboard.

EDIT: I see a couple apps for this, but neither of them are for MDPI.

Last edited:

natsirt16

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
woah woah he does not say anything about a phone your way off he says this exspesically he says he want a android app that works like audacity(he doesn't say anything about a phone -_- :B) all you need to do dude/dudet is to download and install the Linux auto installer from android store and then download audacity for Linux and enjoy(but once you've installed everything of course.
go here linuxonandroid.org then click downloads and download the app form the app store and your good

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Nat i dont think the opti s has the cpu or ram power to run linux on top of android, i did so on my gs3 and it still lagged even when oced.

Plus thatd be an extremely small interface running a full desktop environment on an mdpi screen.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Android Central Forums

amicheler

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Maybe there is, but it's easier to use just Audacity itself.
Go and install "Complete Linux Installer" from Google Play Store and start Ubuntu on Android.
Then you can install Audacity.
To enable sound, you'll have to creat some devices first:
on your phone, execute an "ll /dev" as root in a console terminal.
Note the dev numbers of the audio devices.
Then enter those device numbers as parameters for the shell command "mknod" in a terminal on your Ubuntu on Android.
You can achieve results as I did and recored in my video on my aucblogo.org website http://aucblogo.org:
http://www.aucblogo.org/downloads/Samsung Galaxy S3 Audacity Audio Recording.avi

Cheers,
Andreas

Last edited:

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Linux is not hard at all. It's actually quite well structured and user friendly, despite what some idiot bloggers and the M$ collective hacks tend to insinuate. If you don't believe me, then try to find a thread where someone is trying to install XP on one of these--or any Android device.

The real question here is should a 600MHz ARMv6 device with a touch interface be used to run a modern full desktop OS. Possible (If it's Linux)? Yes. Practical??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol