Dalvik cache shenanigans

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm using Xionia recovery. Every time I select "Wipe dalvik cache" I get the following error:

E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
(No such file or directory)

Then whether I click yes or no, it immediately says "wiped dalvik cache" and goes back to the advanced menu.

What's going on? Is it wiping it or not? :sly: If it's supposed to do this then I'll feel silly and be on my merry way...just wondering since I flash a lot and don't want it causing problems.

prowlingfox

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm using Xionia recovery. Every time I select "Wipe dalvik cache" I get the following error:

E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
(No such file or directory)

Then whether I click yes or no, it immediately says "wiped dalvik cache" and goes back to the advanced menu.

What's going on? Is it wiping it or not? :sly: If it's supposed to do this then I'll feel silly and be on my merry way...just wondering since I flash a lot and don't want it causing problems.

I think this used to happen to me too, when I was still using Xionia. I'm using CWMT now, and the recovery log was removed in the version i'm using, so no text shows up. It could very well still be happening on CWMT, but as such i'm not aware of it.

acromack

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure it's because most roms move dalvik to /cache instead of leaving it in /data, which is an attempt to free up space. If you move it back, CWM should be able to find it properly. Otherwise, simply wiping cache will also wipe dalvik.

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Actually, from what I can tell it has to do with having an ext partition on your sdcard or not. Since having an ext partition is directly related to using a mod like data2ext that is where the recovery will also look to free dalvik-cache. If you have the partition, you wont see that error.

Furthermore, the error can just be ignored and to be sure here is a simple test. Reboot to recovery and wipe cache and dalvik-cache only once. You may get the error but if your phone takes a long time during boot, then that means dalvik-cache has been wiped and it is rebuilding it.

Reactions: Zhara

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys. Just tried it again and I'm pretty sure it finally wiped. Even though it still gives the error, I kept trying it until it said "file exists" instead of "no such file or directory" (thanks eps1lon3). I'm on thekraven's cm9 and it did the optimizing apps thing when I booted so I take that as a good sign. :thumbup::)