Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ShadowEO
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    thenameisnigel's Avatar

    Posts
    1,450 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,460 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default /data as SD storage

    Is it possible to mount /sdcard to /data/sdcard since my mem reader decided to die on me yesterday and yes I tried pushing the pins down...

    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
  2. #2  
    dominicag2000's Avatar

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Carrier
    CM7.2

    Default Re: /data as SD storage

    I dont understand. those's are just directory's or folders you can move them around with a file manager, I dont know what that would fix though.

    Sorry if Im ignorant and didn't understand your question right.
  3. #3  
    BakonGuy's Avatar

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Carrier
    CyanogenMod 10

    Default Re: /data as SD storage

    Moving Android cache to SD Card | Rojanu's Blog

    I don't know exactly what you mean, but if you use the commands demonstrated on that page I'm guessing you could achieve what you want.
  4. #4  
    Buddlespit's Avatar
    Wannabe kewl

    Posts
    674 Posts
    Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Wicked Sensations TW-JB

    Default Re: /data as SD storage

    The sdcard is a mount point. You would have to fstab the sdcard to a different mount point, and it probably wouldn't be found anyway.
  5. #5  
    ShadowEO's Avatar

    Posts
    337 Posts
    Carrier
    Drew's CM10

    Default Re: /data as SD storage

    You could probably link /mnt/sdcard and /sdcard to /data/sdcard, that should work. But you would still need to edit FSTab, but the problem would lie in Vold which would continue to tell Android that there is no SD Card present, You would need a modified Vold that allows it.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    thenameisnigel's Avatar

    Posts
    1,450 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,460 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowEO View Post
    You could probably link /mnt/sdcard and /sdcard to /data/sdcard, that should work. But you would still need to edit FSTab, but the problem would lie in Vold which would continue to tell Android that there is no SD Card present, You would need a modified Vold that allows it.
    Can you explain how to do it?

    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
  7. #7  
    drewwalton19216801's Avatar

    Posts
    2,538 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    Carrier
    HydroROM

    Default Re: /data as SD storage

    Wait I'm confused. What does a broken memory card reader have to do with your phone's internal mount points (which you should not be messing with anyway)?
  8. #8  
    eletendre84's Avatar
    #sarcasm

    Posts
    386 Posts
    Carrier
    kraven CM9 / LeWa Alpha 3

    Default Re: /data as SD storage

    Quote Originally Posted by drewwalton19216801 View Post
    Wait I'm confused. What does a broken memory card reader have to do with your phone's internal mount points (which you should not be messing with anyway)?
    this, and, if the memcard reader is broken, why would mounting it to a different point allow it to be read?

    these ARENT the droids youre looking for.....
  9. #9  
    ShadowEO's Avatar

    Posts
    337 Posts
    Carrier
    Drew's CM10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thenameisnigel View Post
    Can you explain how to do it?

    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
    I can not, I'm simply staying that this is how it's done, Android-x86 does this
    for virtual SD cards




    Quote Originally Posted by drewwalton19216801 View Post
    Wait I'm confused. What does a broken memory card reader have to do with your phone's internal mount points (which you should not be messing with anyway)?



    for some reason, he wants to mount a folder in data as a sort of virtual SD since the internal reader is broken (at least that's how I understand)


    Sent from my LS-LS670 using Android Central Forums
    Va1ha11a likes this.
  10. #10  
    drewwalton19216801's Avatar

    Posts
    2,538 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    Carrier
    HydroROM

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowEO View Post
    for some reason, he wants to mount a folder in data as a sort of virtual SD since the internal reader is broken (at least that's how I understand)


    Sent from my LS-LS670 using Android Central Forums
    As limited as our /data space is, I have a sinking feeling that would be a really bad thing to do.
  11. #11  
    ShadowEO's Avatar

    Posts
    337 Posts
    Carrier
    Drew's CM10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drewwalton19216801 View Post
    As limited as our /data space is, I have a sinking feeling that would be a really bad thing to do.
    As do I. It seems like a very bad idea.

    Sent from my LS-LS670 using Android Central Forums
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    thenameisnigel's Avatar

    Posts
    1,450 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,460 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowEO View Post
    I can not, I'm simply staying that this is how it's done, Android-x86 does this
    for virtual SD cards









    for some reason, he wants to mount a folder in data as a sort of virtual SD since the internal reader is broken (at least that's how I understand)


    Sent from my LS-LS670 using Android Central Forums
    Dead on. I just need to link the sdcard to a data folder for a little while...

    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
  13. #13  
    shockdude's Avatar

    Posts
    104 Posts
    Carrier
    mirage cm7

    Default Re: /data as SD storage

    Quote Originally Posted by thenameisnigel View Post
    Dead on. I just need to link the sdcard to a data folder for a little while...

    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
    what exactly do you need to do that requires you to link /sdcard to /data? there might be an easier way...
  14. #14  
    Va1ha11a's Avatar
    Troll Headhunter

    Posts
    1,051 Posts
    Carrier
    Drew's CMX/Stock/Stock

    Default Re: /data as SD storage

    you can't flash squat without an sd card. He has no sd card. He can't flash squat. He doesn't like being able to flash squat.
  15. #15  
    shockdude's Avatar

    Posts
    104 Posts
    Carrier
    mirage cm7

    Default Re: /data as SD storage

    Quote Originally Posted by Va1ha11a View Post
    you can't flash squat without an sd card. He has no sd card. He can't flash squat. He doesn't like being able to flash squat.
    i see.
    i think it'd be easier to use adb to push the rom to /system manually. it should theoretically be possible...right?
  16. #16  
    Va1ha11a's Avatar
    Troll Headhunter

    Posts
    1,051 Posts
    Carrier
    Drew's CMX/Stock/Stock

    Default Re: /data as SD storage

    you'd have to lug a computer around with you though
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  
    thenameisnigel's Avatar

    Posts
    1,450 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,460 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Va1ha11a View Post
    you can't flash squat without an sd card. He has no sd card. He can't flash squat. He doesn't like being able to flash squat.
    I have a sdcard. -_- My reader died
    But I got my E4GT today, so the opti is useless

    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
  18. #18  
    ShadowEO's Avatar

    Posts
    337 Posts
    Carrier
    Drew's CM10

    Default

    edit: there was a quote here but Tapatalk quoted the wrong post.

    That is a very bad idea, we only have 175MB~ in data that's usable. Also recovery mounts (afaik) things manually so you would likely need a custom recovery.

    Sent from my LS-LS670 using Android Central Forums
  19. #19  
    Va1ha11a's Avatar
    Troll Headhunter

    Posts
    1,051 Posts
    Carrier
    Drew's CMX/Stock/Stock

    Default Re: /data as SD storage

    Quote Originally Posted by thenameisnigel View Post
    I have a sdcard. -_- My reader died
    But I got my E4GT today, so the opti is useless

    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
    Whoops, meant to say reader!

Posting Permissions