dirty kerneling??

ShadowEO

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Surely not that many years but I'm sure a few. The way I figure it is I should become a expert so I can tinker you know what they say "when life hands you a brick....build a house"
I'm not talking about running two kernels just one only modified and I'm sure bugs would have to be ironed out

But I now understand about the other binaries. So it just wouldnt work
Iv done the ubuntu/debian install its cool but you can't run anything beyond nethack
The phone would handle it just lacks graphics and everything just FC'S BEFORE IT EVEN STARTS
I tried all the vnc/ x-11 backend apps none work
So I just use VNC
See what happens when a nerd doesn't have a computer they run around and hobble everyone with a sledge hammer
(I don't mean to be difficult O:) )

The problem isn't that an Android kernel doesn't support X11, it's that it would be inefficient to run a desktop environment like GNOME or KDE would be horribly inefficient in resource and screen use compared to say Android's display manager or GPE. I'm sorry, but it makes no sense to do so.

Sent from my LS-LS670 using Android Central Forums

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
For live music recording purposes, I'd love to have a 32-bit kernel with real-time latency and PAE that runs on my wristwatch, but I would have to compile it myself (not merge 2 existing binary compiles) and have one hell of a wristwatch!

I am curious about more extensive options, to include a dual boot scenario where one option is a lightweight desktop OS--maybe LXDE, but one would need way more robust hardware--including a sizeable screen, akin to a mid-high end tablet, to even get there.

Since Ubuntu on Android has been mentioned, I should toss in that Gnome 3 has some pretty demanding hardware requirements (and is still a PITA to use), even for a laptop.

Finally, how do you technogeek without a computer?? Isn't that like being a cowboy without the horse and rope? Or are you just that badass that you don't frickin' need 'em? :D

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
For live music recording purposes, I'd love to have a 32-bit kernel with real-time latency and PAE that runs on my wristwatch, but I would have to compile it myself (not merge 2 existing binary compiles) and have one hell of a wristwatch!

I am curious about more extensive options, to include a dual boot scenario where one option is a lightweight desktop OS--maybe LXDE, but one would need way more robust hardware--including a sizeable screen, akin to a mid-high end tablet, to even get there.

Since Ubuntu on Android has been mentioned, I should toss in that Gnome 3 has some pretty demanding hardware requirements (and is still a PITA to use), even for a laptop.

Finally, how do you technogeek without a computer?? Isn't that like being a cowboy without the horse and rope? Or are you just that badass that you don't frickin' need 'em? :D

Well my friend to techno geek without a computer well I geek it and cheat horribly so far got the debian .loop thing going but very limited there that's why my never ending quest to get linux run fully you see everyone keeps saying to have linux on the optimus would be pointless (to slow ect ect) however you see iv been poor my whole life iv mostly rebuilt comps outta dumpsters when I was little I didn't. Have a soldering iron so I would use a sewing needle or paperclip and a lighter and a whole lotta patients back when winxp came out I first installed on a 486dx66 god was it slow! It ran! I got n64 emulation to run full speed on a Pentium 2 @500mhz with only 16mb of video mem and 128mb ram (that's a feat) no soldier no problem chewing gum and tin foil! The hard part is eyeballing the tinfoil mass to get the resistance/voltage rateing close enough to work (not to fry though) I truly belive if linuxs graphics worked on the S I wouldn't have any trouble at all also I installed knoppix on the same p2 500 comp and it ran pretty decently turned vega strikes graphics down and had fun so as you can't tell I never say die
I'm trying to teach myself java so I can use AIDE(I did basic back in the day) my first pc was a 386sx16 I played doom on it but doom required 66mhz to play! Also 4mb of ram I only had 1! (Thank god for qemm)

Everyone that comes to me I always fix their computer/electronics always....
Android is new to me so far In the last 30+ weeks iv root and rom'ed a kindle fire,htc evo 4g,samsung moment, some phone I forget the name a lg-p509? And the S I'm currently tryin a samsung conquer 4g but not a lot of dev for it yet cm7 is on its way though
Iv developed a inegrated operating system bios chip about 10-15 years ago it worked somewhat in a fashion that our droids do nand backup/restore do now this chip would have eliminated the need for a recovery partition on your hd also it would have eliminated the need for anti-virus/malware software........it didnt work out on the political level and lastly don't laugh....

I have a design for a hyperdrive engine that generates gravity wells by compressing energy into a single point in space mimicking the energy mass displacement of a star

Also a step up transformer that allows 1/1.000.000.000 step up ratio

Lets just say I always haven't made the right choices and have had a lot of bad luck
What I wouldn't give for a lab a some materials and time to work also

A cheap to build/run hydrgen extractor run it for a day a enough fuel for 2 days I built working models

And yes I'm crazy but its true I'm a geek

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes I cry myself to sleep after we had our daughter we we're going to buy a big farmhouse on land contract in the basement I was building the most kick ass worklab ever but then my wifes parents needed us to move in and take care of them they both died 6 month later we had to give up the house
These are the problems I face just when I can start to truly work life wont have it my old laptop died I don't have the cash for a new one(got kids)
As far as a cowboy with no rope HELL NO! I got a bootable thumb drive with ubuntu any comp I come across is mine!

ShadowEO

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
What we've been trying to explain to you though is that Linux graphics would work on the phone, the only problem is Surface_flinger already allocates the screen for its use. The other problem with running Linux on the phone is how the system would have to be stored. We only have ~175 MBs on data and even less on system. That's not enough to do what you want. The solution to that is extremely advanced where you would have to build an image that not only contains the bare minimum binaries to mount an SD card but also chroot or pivot the root to it as well, this is actually no different from what you're already doing with the Debian install sans the XServer.

shockdude

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
i recall someone getting xfce to run on ubuntu on the optimus, which means he got x-server to run as well.
i have the instructions somewhere, but i'm away from my pc right now. if i can find then i'll post them here and you can give it a shot.

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah IV had the chroot Linux running for awhile now I just wanna get graphics running

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
What we've been trying to explain to you though is that Linux graphics would work on the phone, the only problem is Surface_flinger already allocates the screen for its use. The other problem with running Linux on the phone is how the system would have to be stored. We only have ~175 MBs on data and even less on system. That's not enough to do what you want. The solution to that is extremely advanced where you would have to build an image that not only contains the bare minimum binaries to mount an SD card but also chroot or pivot the root to it as well, this is actually no different from what you're already doing with the Debian install sans the XServer.

Yes but its still running grant it weirdly though everything would have to be rewritten(IDKHTD) graphics, interface,all otherfiles in-between tis a pipedream would it be Easyer to make something that could run all Linux programs it would be nice

I kinda figure what surface_flinger is but could that be made to switch mode like a fork in the road allowing Linux full screen rain but on exit or closeing switch back to android?or to whatever its doing now.......Linux is there.....it would be the decisive act that would bury the android,M$,apple argument on Wich is better
..without any more controversy .......plus I just want it :(

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm mean for the love of God drew's putting wings and bestowing the powers of greyskull on clockwork recovery touch come on guys IV seen magick here on AC but grant it the S is getting older

However from here to Asus prime compatability would be nice

Last edited: