Partitioning my sdcard

jonny5449

AC Citizen
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi I have a class 10 16 gb sdcard. I had an 8gb class 4 but when I partitioned I ran into a prob. Terminal emulator didn't recognize some commands. So after I partitioned I lost a whole 1gb. Don't wanna screw up this time so my question is how do I partition my sdcard? I'm running quattrimus beta1pre3 soon to run aokp. How do I partition my sdcard?

I don't care who u are :p this is an awesome song :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxytyRy-O1k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Well first off I'm sure you didn't "lose" 1 gig on your last card. Even though you think it failed on your last try you must have managed to partition that 1 gig ext2 or 3 or 4 partition, which is not recognized by a window machine. So windows just simply reports the card as 7gb instead of 8.

Get MiniTool Partition Wizard for your Windows machine. That makes the whole process simple. And check that old 8gb card with that program too to see if I'm right about that 1 missing gb. ;)

Reactions: jonny5449

jonny5449

AC Citizen
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Well first off I'm sure you didn't "lose" 1 gig on your last card. Even though you think it failed on your last try you must have managed to partition that 1 gig ext2 or 3 or 4 partition, which is not recognized by a window machine. So windows just simply reports the card as 7gb instead of 8.

Get MiniTool Partition Wizard for your Windows machine. That makes the whole process simple. And check that old 8gb card with that program too to see if I'm right about that 1 missing gb. ;)

Gonna charge my phone and look

I don't care who u are :p this is an awesome song :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxytyRy-O1k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

jonny5449

AC Citizen
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

u were right lol. How do i delete my partition on my 8 gb sdcard? and how do i create a partition swap so i have 1 gb internel storage? Also what partition do u reccomend im running fat32 it looks like. thats my primary partition. what should i do next?

deejayadhd

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
i think swap is not needed as far as i know, the second partition should be 1gb ext2/3/4, what i have been trying to figure out is there any actual benefit between ext3 and ext4 when using a2sd? i have scoured around and read plenty that say its pointless and some say its faster (ext4 over ext3). i have no idea. but your kernel has to support it.

follow the advice before you and look at partition wizard, its quite simple to use.

jonny5449

AC Citizen
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
i think swap is not needed as far as i know, the second partition should be 1gb ext2/3/4, what i have been trying to figure out is there any actual benefit between ext3 and ext4 when using a2sd? i have scoured around and read plenty that say its pointless and some say its faster (ext4 over ext3). i have no idea. but your kernel has to support it.

follow the advice before you and look at partition wizard, its quite simple to use.

Hmmmmmmmmm will look around

the_maplebar

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
The main difference between ext4 and ext2 is that ext3/ext4 have journaling checksums to help keep your data from getting corrupted.

This means that if your phone freezes and crashes, drops and the battery pops out or someone just pulls the battery it is more likely to recover from any corruption of the files.

deejayadhd

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
The main difference between ext4 and ext2 is that ext3/ext4 have journaling checksums to help keep your data from getting corrupted.

This means that if your phone freezes and crashes, drops and the battery pops out or someone just pulls the battery it is more likely to recover from any corruption of the files.

yea got that part... now is there any actual benefits to go from ext3 to ext4?

well i mean anything we would really notice?

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
yea got that part... now is there any actual benefits to go from ext3 to ext4?

well i mean anything we would really notice?

Actual benefits? Yes. Notice? No.

All in all, it depends on the support in the kernel. And I'm not all that sure what support the android kernel retains compared to a full linux kernel.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie