Great Ideas

Brain1993

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a few ideas. First and main one is finding a way to flash ANY linux OS to an android phone. I want a specific one but that's a later discussion. Soooo...ya.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

duffieldj1

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a few ideas. First and main one is finding a way to flash ANY linux OS to an android phone. I want a specific one but that's a later discussion. Soooo...ya.

Are you thinking along the lines of Ubuntu Android?

Brain1993

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
No, more of fedora or another version I have saved on my computer as an iso file. Is there a way to make it compatible?

duffieldj1

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
No, more of fedora or another version I have saved on my computer as an iso file. Is there a way to make it compatible?

It is compatible enough to boot, you just have to find a distro that supports ARM v6, and I think Fedora does... But I don't know how you would get things like messaging and calls to work or turn it into a rom that you can flash because fedora isn't built for a phone, you would have to have a version of fedora like Ubuntu Android where it runs on android, but besides that it is possible to but you would have to know how to rebuild fedora into a rom

Last edited:

Brain1993

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Well if someone could help me find a way to make it work. Ubuntu, Linux, fedora, backtrack, etc...

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Well if someone could help me find a way to make it work. Ubuntu, Linux, fedora, backtrack, etc...

What's the point tbh? You can run Linux on an Optimus, it would just be really slow, and besides, you couldn't make calls or send sms/mms.

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Its not really slow at all(its not superfast)and there's no graphics acceleration only play games like nethack. And you can still use your phone:D
It pretty neat!

duffieldj1

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site

The only way that I would think you could get it compatible is if you said something to the developers of Fedora, BackTrack, etc because something like what your thinking would require a completely rebuilt OS version of the Linux distro, and the devs here would most likely not know how to do something like that... But if you just want to run it on your phone and use it on top of android then use the Linux Installer on the android market or I believe there was a thread about it, but I cant seem to find it, so you could search through the treads and that could help too

Last edited:

Brain1993

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I actually just wanted backtrack for...liesure activities. It sounded like a good idea

ShadowEO

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Your best bet would be to use the Linux Installer applications to install the distros. Android is already a Linux based OS, but to boot an actual version of linux instead of an Android ROM you'd need to change alot. You'd have to have a custom bootloader, have patches to the system so it will mount the proper partitions during boot, and you'd need the drivers for the phone's screen, etc. The only problem with drivers are that you wouldn't be able to use the Android ones since their linked with bionic instead of glibc (afaik). Without the right graphics drivers, X11 won't start and without X11, Gnome/KDE won't start either. You'd probably get XFCE (If you even make it far enough to get X11 working) or at best, Blackbox or Openbox.

rod_munch

May 9, 2011
Visit site
dude you are asking for the impossible once again. im going to go start a thread titled "can i install a 5inch lcd panel into my optimus?"

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
On debian squeeze running on my optimus s IV managed to get a Nintendo DS emulator to run!! .....a whopping 1-2 fps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL