Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By ThatGuyLurkin
  • 1 Post By kbp08tls
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Beats audio

There's an apparently on android market that installs the drivers. Comments?

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

Default Re: Beats audio

Seeing mixed reviews. Dunno, could be worth a shot.

ROM
    Quatrimus

I've given it a shot. Seems to make a subtle difference.

ROM
    Stock

I just downloaded it...I agree with the above, fairly subtle difference...I have a nice pair of Sony headphones though, not sure if it will be any noticeable on cheap earbuds...
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I use it with aux in car

ROM
    Stock

I a-b'ed the same song on my brothers phone and my phone (beats installed on mine), I really couldn't tell much. I think what very little difference I thought I heard is my brain telling me its suppose to be different....ya know? Haha

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

I don't understand what the drivers would really do... The hardware in our phones will always be the same, so wouldn't the quality still be the same no matter what drivers you have?

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

Quote Originally Posted by duffieldj1 View Post
    I don't understand what the drivers would really do... The hardware in our phones will always be the same, so wouldn't the quality still be the same no matter what drivers you have?
    They aren't drivers. Beats Audio is a set of highly tuned equalizer settings.

The overall effect is pretty much YMMV because it depends on the song and partly headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by drewwalton19216801 View Post
    They aren't drivers. Beats Audio is a set of highly tuned equalizer settings.

The overall effect is pretty much YMMV because it depends on the song and partly headphones.
    Oh, but they do call it drivers in the app though

That's just some techy stuff because they needed words to put there. :P

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    tlrsax54 and duffieldj1 like this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

There's an update

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

Beats + Alsa gives best sound quality.

Sent from my Motorola Triumph using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuyLurkin View Post
    Beats + Alsa gives best sound quality.

Sent from my Motorola Triumph using Tapatalk 2
    Alsa on your phone? I can't find any information on what that is...beats didn't really do much to begin with....

Quote Originally Posted by tlrsax54 View Post
    Alsa on your phone? I can't find any information on what that is...beats didn't really do much to begin with....
    I guess it lets you control very advanced features of the audio system... Idk but I'm going to mess around with it
    Last edited by duffieldj1; 07-18-2012 at 04:41 AM.

Here. +Alsa

This made a BIG difference for me.

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

What is the big deal with Beats? Isn't it just an EQ software that allows finer tuning?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

It doesn't allow finer tuning, or any tuning for that matter. It's just a preset EQ curve you turn on or off. Like the old school "loudness" button. Honestly, if you have Power Amp or if you're running a ROM with DSP manager, you're not missing anything by not having Beats.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    cole2kb likes this.

Or still try the link I posted before saying it's BS. Some people experience better sound, some don't. It all depends on how you listen. I use headphones.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuyLurkin View Post
    Or still try the link I posted before saying it's BS. Some people experience better sound, some don't. It all depends on how you listen. I use headphones.

Honestly I think it depends more on the quality of headphones, not just that you are using them...if you're using a cheap pair of ipod ear-buds then maybe this stuff with an equalizer can make up for the lack of quality equipment.

I suppose I'm on the B.S. side...I'm not sure what differences people are hearing but I put everything on my phone (including that latest xda post...) and compared it to my brothers stock settings on his phone back to back same songs, not much of a difference.

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

Honestly I think it depends more on the quality of headphones, not just that you are using them...if you're using a cheap pair of ipod ear-buds then maybe this stuff with an equalizer can make up for the lack of quality equipment.

I suppose I'm on the B.S. side...I'm not sure what differences people are hearing but I put everything on my phone (including that latest xda post...) and compared it to my brothers stock settings on his phone back to back same songs, not much of a difference.
    I agree, but there are real metrics that have been used to measure the difference between Beats and non-Beats on the exact same device and there is in fact a difference. Is it a big insane difference? No, not really. Is there alot of hype involved? You betcha. But there is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by drewwalton19216801 View Post
    I agree, but there are real metrics that have been used to measure the difference between Beats and non-Beats on the exact same device and there is in fact a difference. Is it a big insane difference? No, not really. Is there alot of hype involved? You betcha. But there is a difference.
    My current phone (EVO 4G LTE) has Beats native to the OS. I can say for certain that it makes an "audible difference." Whether that difference "improves" the sound or not is a matter of opinion. The vast majority of my music is ripped straight from pristine CDs using EAC as FLAC for archiving on my hard drive and then converted to 320k mp3's for use on my phone. I use Sony MDR EX300 in-ear headphones - not top-of-the-line by any means, but very good for the price.

So, on good quality music files with good quality headphones, Beats absolutely does make a difference. As implemented on the EVO, there are 3 Beats settings to choose from: Solo, urBeats, and other. Other does not make much of a difference, but the other two do, and seem to be tuned for either over the ear headphones (Solo), or earbuds (urBeats).

Overall, the "difference" is that it boosts bass and treble, as if it's trying to restore what's lost in compression. On some tracks it sounds good (predictably hip-hop, techno, some industrial, some rock, metal is a mixed bag); on others, it sounds like crap - introducing audible distortion and muddying the overall sound. Those of us of a "certain age" will recognize this as being almost exactly like the old Loudness button from the 80s and 90s.

ROM
    Stock

Those of us of a "certain age" will recognize this as being almost exactly like the old Loudness button from the 80s and 90s.
    Hey!!! The deck in my car has that feature...it's not THAT old!

Kind of an awful feature though...I never use it. lol

Hey!!! The deck in my car has that feature...it's not THAT old!

Kind of an awful feature though...I never use it. lol
    Yeah, it does still show up. The "audiophile" head unit in my car has it too, buried deep in the menu settings.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums