factory reset ... now it boots only to recovery

mxl360

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I needed to remove the original Google account, so I factory reset and now it boots straight to recovery. I'm running Ra-Thundrc-1.1.0-GNM recovery.

I tried to restore my old nandriod - contains boot.img, cache.img, data.img, nandroid.md5, system.img. but each errors "Error : run 'nandroid-mobile.sh restore' via abd!"

Last edited:

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
If you can access recovery, you should be able to just reflash rom and gapps to get the phone going again. Then you can go back into recovery, factory reset, restore backup, then reboot. To remove the google account go under accounts and sync, select the account you want to remove. then hit the menu key on the phone and it will give you the remove account option. Factory reset on a rooted phone is not the same as stock. The reason your phone is only booting into recovery is because when you did the factory reset, it erased everything including the rom. Not a big deal to fix though. It's completely fixable :cool:

shockdude

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
yeah doing a factory reset with a custom recovery tends to result in bricking the phone.
there's a sticky at the top of this forum regarding factory resets. you might find a solution there.
alternatively, search for KP500 in this forum.

andrewnelson23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Also, if flashing a rom or nandroid simply returns you to recovery, you need to install Cannibal recovery. That will get you out of what is called a recovery boot loop.

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Also, if flashing a rom or nandroid simply returns you to recovery, you need to install Cannibal recovery. That will get you out of what is called a recovery boot loop.

You would have to use the zip installer however, because flashing it old-school style would require you to be booted into android.

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I needed to remove the original Google account, so I factory reset and now it boots straight to recovery. I'm running Ra-Thundrc-1.1.0-GNM recovery.

I tried to restore my old nandriod - contains boot.img, cache.img, data.img, nandroid.md5, system.img. but each errors "Error : run 'nandroid-mobile.sh restore' via abd!"

Now I'm confused...You have gnm still or stock? If you have gnm you can just flash a new rom, and then worry about the recovery. If you actually have stock recovery, re root the phone and just use cwm instead of xionia

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

shockdude

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
guys, there's a sticky at the very top of this forum that says that doing a factory reset with gnm recovery bricks the phone. flashing roms won't help.
mxl180: find Cannibal Recovery, download the flashable zip, and flash it. if it works, flash a rom. if it doesn't, reply. you'll probably need to download the android sdk, drivers, and a bunch of utilities to get your phone out of its current state.

Reactions: mxl360

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
guys, there's a sticky at the very top of this forum that says that doing a factory reset with gnm recovery bricks the phone. flashing roms won't help.
mxl180: find Cannibal Recovery, download the flashable zip, and flash it. if it works, flash a rom. if it doesn't, reply. you'll probably need to download the android sdk, drivers, and a bunch of utilities to get your phone out of its current state.

To add to that, if it does work to flash the recovery you will want to select the fix boot loop option from the debugging menu to actually try to get out of the loop (simply flashing the recovery won't do it).

Reactions: mxl360

mxl360

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Flashed cannibal then fixed loop. omg you guys are #$%#^ awesome!!!! So before trying this I flashed back to stock rom. Does this mean I'm no longer rooted? It's been like 1.5 years since I rooted the phone. What's the easiest way to root this now?

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Flashed cannibal then fixed loop. omg you guys are #$%#^ awesome!!!! So before trying this I flashed back to stock rom. Does this mean I'm no longer rooted? It's been like 1.5 years since I rooted the phone. What's the easiest way to root this now?
Dammit, how did you flash the recovery if you weren't rooted? This makes no sense. What recovery do you have now? How did you "flash" stock ROM? Nandroid resore? Because that is different.

mxl360

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Dammit, how did you flash the recovery if you weren't rooted? This makes no sense. What recovery do you have now? How did you "flash" stock ROM? Nandroid resore? Because that is different.

Here's what I know. I was running Ra-Thundrc-1.1.0-GNM recovery, I'm able to only boot into that recovery. So I flash Cannibal recovery using Ra-Thundrc-1.1.0-GNM recovery. I also flashed stock rom while in recovery mode.

I always had root.. and looks like I still do .

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Here's what I know. I was running Ra-Thundrc-1.1.0-GNM recovery, I'm able to only boot into that recovery. So I flash Cannibal recovery using Ra-Thundrc-1.1.0-GNM recovery. I also flashed stock rom while in recovery mode.

I always had root.. and looks like I still do .

He has stock ROM but custom recovery.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

shockdude

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
boot into your phone and go to Settings > About phone. post your Baseband version here. if you have a ZVD/MVD or ZVJ/MVJ baseband, then download/copy a ROM onto your sd card (this is the part where you'll want to do research, since flashing a ZVJ rom on ZVD baseband and vice versa requires a patch), and boot into recovery (turn off phone, hold down the HOME & VOLUME_UP keys, then hold POWER until recovery appears). if you still have Cannibal Recovery, then wipe everything and flash the ROM.
if you have anything other than ZVD/MVD/ZVJ/MVJ, or a non-Cannibal recovery, reply and we'll get you up to speed.

shockdude

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
reborn rom is a solid rom. kind of old, but definitely stable.
yeah the ZVJ update will make you lose root and might mess up other things. iirc to make the update notification go away, click "More Info" then pull the battery.
another stable and more up-to-date rom you might want to try is Hydro Rom. since Hydro is a ZVJ rom, you'll need to wipe everything, flash the rom, then flash the ZVJ to ZVD patch.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty