I need help unbricking my phone

cusinndzl

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I have the LG Optimus S and I recently updated to ZVJ and have been using the Xionia recovery with a custom rooted ROM.

Since I plan to upgrade my phone next week I decided to reset my phone back to stock and I found and followed this tutorial. I was able to go through step #3 twice without any error messages.

The phone then began booting into Android but got stuck on the Android animation, after seven minutes I shut off the phone and tried rebooting into the recovery menu but couldn't. Trying to boot back into Android results in the phone getting stuck at the LG logo.

So in other words I managed to brick my phone. My best guess is that the brick relates to the baseband version since it seems that most tutorials on Android Central are for ZVD, but I'm on ZVJ.

I found a way to go back to the Android logo and that is by plugging the phone into the charger without the battery attached. If I get a message that says connect the battery I connect the battery. Once I get the charging animation I reboot the phone using the power button. That can get me back into the Android animation, but not any further.

I found and followed this tutorial to try to unbrick my phone. I can go through the updater but it seems to have issues once I reach 99% where it says that the phone has been disconnected and that you need to click on restart after reconnecting the phone.

I managed to get the phone working by booting into the recovery directly after using the emergency mode. I did a factory reset and the phone booted into Android, but after another reboot I'm stuck at the LG logo again. This time I can't access the recovery, or the emergency mode.

I'm not sure how to go about unbricking the phone. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Last edited:

ClutchX_LA

The_Boss
Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
hey your the guy that helped me get my recovery installed from youtube arent you? Thanks! sorry but i know nothing of unbricking. i have bricked 2 OptiS's though

I would root my wii if it ran on Android, but i have already hacked it. :)

cusinndzl

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
hey your the guy that helped me get my recovery installed from youtube arent you? Thanks! sorry but i know nothing of unbricking. i have bricked 2 OptiS's though

I would root my wii if it ran on Android, but i have already hacked it. :)

Yup, that's me. I've been able to unbrick my Optimus S before but I can't seem to do it this time.

cusinndzl

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm interested in how you managed to get into recovery to save the phone.

When I went through to update using emergency mode the tool gets to around 95-99% and then the phone reboots into the charging animation. When I got to that menu I pressed the keys to get into the recovery menu and in a few seconds the phone rebooted to the recovery. I then was able to do a factory reset.

MaXXimus

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
When I went through to update using emergency mode the tool gets to around 95-99% and then the phone reboots into the charging animation. When I got to that menu I pressed the keys to get into the recovery menu and in a few seconds the phone rebooted to the recovery. I then was able to do a factory reset.

I was hoping the the button mashing would do the trick. One last question, how does one get into emergency mode on the Optimus S?

cusinndzl

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping the the button mashing would do the trick. One last question, how does one get into emergency mode on the Optimus S?

The easy way is to shut off the phone and with the battery inserted plug the phone into a charger. When the charging screen shows up press volume down/up (I forgot which one) + power + back.

If you can't get to the charging screen it's a little more complicated. When the phone is powered off press and hold the volume down/up (I forgot which one) + camera + search + power all while plugging into the charger at the same time.

It's kind of tricky getting into emergency mode, you'll probably want a friend to help press a few buttons.

Reactions: MaXXimus

MaXXimus

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The easy way is to shut off the phone and with the battery inserted plug the phone into a charger. When the charging screen shows up press volume down/up (I forgot which one) + power + back.

If you can't get to the charging screen it's a little more complicated. When the phone is powered off press and hold the volume down/up (I forgot which one) + camera + search + power all while plugging into the charger at the same time.

It's kind of tricky getting into emergency mode, you'll probably want a friend to help press a few buttons.

Thanks for that. I haven't had to get to emergency mode before, though I've thought I've been close to it. I never learned how to do it, so thanks for posting that. Hopefully I won't even have to do it, but now I know if the need arises. Thanks again.

sammyz

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

Easier way is volume down+back key+plug in USB from powered off. :)

@OP I can help you with your semi-bricked OS as long as it still goes in recovery/boots fine. I have the ZVD bin for LGNPST and if you can get the phone to boot/enter recovery, I can get all the NV items backed up with LGNPST, then flash the ZVD bin>NV items>PRL. Its very easy, but hard if you can't figure out how to set up LGNPST.

Sent from my LG-LW690 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge