Nandroid from a different model

captmeach7

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
i figured id see if anyone else has tried it first before i do. I am going to try to flash a nandroid from a note to the optimus. Well. I know i can restore things through titanium backup or appextractor, but it doesnt often work,. So im thinking if i can just flash the system and data partitions, and replace the boot and recovery with that of an optiumus it should at least let me in right?

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
i figured id see if anyone else has tried it first before i do. I am going to try to flash a nandroid from a note to the optimus. Well. I know i can restore things through titanium backup or appextractor, but it doesnt often work,. So im thinking if i can just flash the system and data partitions, and replace the boot and recovery with that of an optiumus it should at least let me in right?

Uhh no. There's not even a slight chance of it working, it simply will not work. Period.

Clarification:
The system partition contains crucial system software that will fail to work if the hardware it's installed on doesn't match up. There are ways to make other device's software work, and that's called "porting" but that is not what you are describing. Furthermore, the entire system software from the Note is compiled for an entirely different CPU architecture altogether. What you're describing is the functional equivalent of trying to install Mac OS X on an Xbox 360. It's just not going to work.

There's a phrase I use sometimes, it's called "willy nilly" and I believe it's appropriate here:
You can't just restore nandroids from different phones willy nilly.

Last edited:

captmeach7

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Uhh no. There's not even a slight chance of it working, it simply will not work. Period.

Clarification:
The system partition contains crucial system software that will fail to work if the hardware it's installed on doesn't match up. There are ways to make other device's software work, and that's called "porting" but that is not what you are describing. Furthermore, the entire system software from the Note is compiled for an entirely different CPU architecture altogether. What you're describing is the functional equivalent of trying to install Mac OS X on an Xbox 360. It's just not going to work.

There's a phrase I use sometimes, it's called "willy nilly" and I believe it's appropriate here:
You can't just restore nandroids from different phones willy nilly.

Willy nilly is perfectly acceptable here. perhaps i should have left out system. Im gonna try an ICS ROM and just restore the data to it. I switched to Tmobile but i felt like some random tinkering with the optimus.

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Willy nilly is perfectly acceptable here. perhaps i should have left out system. Im gonna try an ICS ROM and just restore the data to it. I switched to Tmobile but i felt like some random tinkering with the optimus.

Wow, just read all this; my brain hurts...

Not only will the data from another rom be entirely useless without the accompanying system information it will probably cause the device to not boot just having it present, if does expect a boat load of force closes.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I kinda want this to work, just so we can see how ridiculous the boot animation might look. :D But alas, I think you may not get that far.

Perhaps try changing out the kernel to anything that you know works with the Opti S before flashing? That doesn't remove the wheel blocks from under your Camaro, but it might be like putting the wheels back on.