U know what...

williek113

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I used to think this was a pretty crappy phone... it seemed as though for a while all the developers were working on the "latest and greatest" jelly bean which really had no big differences to ics. And now a new version of TheKraven's cm9 and miuiv4 comes out. We may not have as many roms as anything nexus, but we still have a hell of a lot to choose from. U GUYS ARE AWESOME

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

jonny5449

AC Citizen
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I used to think this was a pretty crappy phone... it seemed as though for a while all the developers were working on the "latest and greatest" jelly bean which really had no big differences to ics. And now a new version of TheKraven's cm9 and miuiv4 comes out. We may not have as many roms as anything nexus, but we still have a hell of a lot to choose from. U GUYS ARE AWESOME

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

I know right lol

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Deadly_Poison630

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Lol i used to feel the same. However with the development going on for this phone, it'd made me change my mind. The developers here definitely made my first android phone one to remember :D

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm just tickled that my lowly optimus is running the same system as my wifes' GS3. Granted, her phone is far superior to mine, but I get the giggles when I have to go to my phone to show her how to make adjustments on hers...

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Why did this phone attract so much development? It's not particularly great or anything. I've seen many phones with better specs get much less dev love. The only other phone I've seen get attention like this despite it's capabilities was the Samsung Moment. Funny thing is that zefie did alotta dev work on that phone, too.

So, is there any particular reason that the Opti S attracted you guys over other phones with better specs?

*Sent from work early bcuz some1 4got teh NSFW tag*

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Why did this phone attract so much development? It's not particularly great or anything. I've seen many phones with better specs get much less dev love.
I am no developer--yet, but here is my take on the reasoning on it:

Price point: they were giving them away for a while and have never been more than $100.
No bootloader shenanigans.
Resiliency and durability: Solid as a brick, yet hard to brick.
Longevity: Sprint is still selling them 2 years later.
Large family (P500, Opti V, T, etc.) and wide circulation ensures a good test bed for development.
Great initiative early on: Zefie, KSmithinNY, ath3nos and others got a lot of the important stuff done, paving the way for others to follow.
Less than stellar official updates and support.

And not meant for last, but typed that way:
Android Central community and forums: This is/was a "starter" device for both users and developers; its success stems from these folks working together, providing feedback, support and encouragement. The Optimus S isn't even listed on XDA. Proof that developer talent and positive interactions with other devs and users can work. :)

stevek216

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Not why I have the Optimus to begin with, but why I have kept it is that right after I took out my contract, sprint made the 10 dollar premium data charge universal. So as long as I don't renew my contract, i.e. use my upgrade, I don't have to pay the surcharge til my two years are up!

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

jteee

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Other than not having a flash or notification led, I plan on keeping this phone well after my ugrade after my contract expires.
It's a tough little phone.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
The optimus was my first android. Had it for about two years. Great phone. Main thing I didn't like was such a small screen. I use the optimus for a bit after using the gs3 , and the optimus just feels so small.

optimus has a great devoping community. A lot of great ROMs to make it an even better phone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I got to admit this lil phone has taken a beatin pretty good and still plays my movies and takes pics n vids. not many with the camera button like the optimus. Its seen a few roms. Will probly keep it for while longer too, my contract is bout due. :-!
Been awesome fun learning tho. :)

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
My sister has the Optimus S and I have the HTC Evo Design 4G. The Design outclasses the Optimus in almost every way (no s-off), yet the Optimus has tons more dev support. I'm actually kinda jelly. I wish my phone had half the support you guys put down here. The few devs that do work on the Design are all about some petty squabbling, so it's pretty much dead in the water.

Anyway, you Optimus devs do some great work and my sister appreciates it. You all deserve a pat on the back and an ice cold beer from everyone that benefits from your time and effort.

*Sent from work early bcuz some1 4got teh NSFW tag*

troark97

May 13, 2012
Visit site
My firs android phone was a Samsung Moment. I broke the charging terminal right off the motherboard, lol. Then i got the Optimus S, and it proved to be quite a phone. Now, 3 years later, I can still go to my friends, with brand new phones, and laugh at them, because i have plenty more features then them, due to the vast amount of ROMs for this phone. But the specs are bad and its almost ti e to retire for this old Opti S, but this will defiantly be a phone to remember. Keep developing!

On3wheels

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
like dude pointed out a few posts above....this was a cheap phone and is now a free phone for all the major carriers and some not so major. and when released it was a perfect step up from the hero. i find a lot of the really involved people here came from an htc hero. but now that all the new phones have gigs upon gigs of storage, the apps are getting larger, making my opti feel much smaller. makes me sad...im halfway scared to get a new phone, theyre always cool at first but i doubt ill get the 18-24 hrs of batter life that i get on the opti, nor the duriability. and theyre all lte now. even tho the city i live in was 2nd to get 4g and wimax it seems like itll be awhile for LTE, but we still gotta pay for it :(