I dont want to take the time to make a rom but...

williek113

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I recently started looking into rom making/fixing up for speed, my design, and such. I downloaded a whole bunch of things to use Ubuntu. I got virtualbox and set it up like that. That is the only one that worked for me sadly. My friend told me i needed a linux os to make/change roms and things like that. Question 1. Will virtualbox work in making/changing a custom rom? Question 2. Where do i go to learn how to change these things and how much space will all the downloads i need to get take up? If in fact it isnt time consuming enough (swimming is time consuming already) I would go into developing for this little phone so U WANT TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION SO U CAN HAVE ANOTHER DEVELOPER

thanks guysss

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, it all depends on what you want to do. Do you want to create a stock based rom in the vein of danteRom or hydroRom? Or are you looking more for a cyanogenmod or aosp based rom? You must build from source within Linux, but to mod a stock rom you can do that within windows (mostly, boot.img for example can only be opened in Linux)

williek113

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, it all depends on what you want to do. Do you want to create a stock based rom in the vein of danteRom or hydroRom? Or are you looking more for a cyanogenmod or aosp based rom? You must build from source within Linux, but to mod a stock rom you can do that within windows (mostly, boot.img for example can only be opened in Linux)

I was sorta thinking of like as much of a mix of roms together but still flowing together and smooth. Again i have no idea how any of this works really so that comment probably made me sound like an idiot... So i guess i need linux, and will my virtualbox ubuntu work?

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a real dev, but I do tinker with as many devices as I can get my hands on. You have to do what you feel comfortable with. I find it much easier to interact with the device running Linux (Mint FTW) as the host OS and everything else, then have Win7 in a Virtualbox machine to play with APKs and such. I'd prefer to do everything on Linux (no driver issues, native compile, etc), but there are some useful tools that have been put together only for Windoze that you might like the ability to use.

Also, getting more familiar with Linux is good for you. Android is Linux at the core, so pretty much everything you might pick up can be used on your desktop and your device OS to get things done. And it works great as a desktop OS for everyday use.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol