HELP! I cannot get a computer to recognize my optimus!!

anon(523450)

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
So I have an Optimus S. It was previously rooted, but isn't currently. I was trying to upgrade to ZVJ, and I did so successfully, (using adb connect wireless app, since I couldn't get a computer to recognize my phone.) But then i made the mistake of following the directions on the page, and I did a factory wipe, so I lost my root. Now I want to re-root, but I need to be able to use adb. I can't use the app on the phone anymore, since it is only for rooted phones. I can't apply anything off of the SD card through recovery because I only have stock recovery (which doesn't appear to have the option to choose the file off sd that I want to apply.)

Here is what I have tried: 2 different computers (desktop and laptop) but both running Windows 7. 4 different USB cords (the original LG, an original Samsung, a kindle usb, and a generic) in both computers in all of the different usb ports. I have unistalled the LG drivers and reinstalled them on both computers. I have restarted the phone, the computer, etc. I have toggled the USB debugging check box on the phone.

I have run out of ideas! I really want to use this again, but I don't want to use it stock!! (If it matters, this is not currently connected to my phone plan, but it connected to wifi at my house.)

Thanks for any help!
Karen

droid597

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Try using a Linux machine or run it on a virtual machine. Is there a MicroSD in the Optimus? Mine requires me to take out the microSD and use a separate adapter for it.

anon(523450)

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Try using a Linux machine or run it on a virtual machine. Is there a MicroSD in the Optimus? Mine requires me to take out the microSD and use a separate adapter for it.
Thanks for the quick reply. It does have a microSD in it-- I can certainly try removing it before plugging in.Edit: doesn't change computer recognizing phone. I can take the microSD and put it in the computer with an adapter, but that won't help because it won't give me a way to get ADB (unless there is something I am missing??)
Not sure I have access to a Linux machine (but I can maybe get hubby to try that) What do you mean by "virtual machine"? (I'm only half-a -geek, so I don't know everything yet. ;-)

Sdude1200

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. It does have a microSD in it-- I can certainly try removing it before plugging in.Edit: doesn't change computer recognizing phone. I can take the microSD and put it in the computer with an adapter, but that won't help because it won't give me a way to get ADB (unless there is something I am missing??)
Not sure I have access to a Linux machine (but I can maybe get hubby to try that) What do you mean by "virtual machine"? (I'm only half-a -geek, so I don't know everything yet. ;-)

"virtual machine" is basically a way to be booted into windows (or the OS of your choice) and run a virtual desktop of Linux or Mac OS.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

anon(523450)

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
"virtual machine" is basically a way to be booted into windows (or the OS of your choice) and run a virtual desktop of Linux or Mac OS.

Hi! I am thinking that maybe you edited this? I got an email notification where there was "Your problem may be that you don't have the correct drivers installed for your phone, or that you aren't using the OEM microUSB-computer cable (the original one that came with your phone by LG). " at the end.
You may have edited because you saw that I said something about the OEM cable, but if not -
I did try using the OEM cable and I downloaded the drivers directly from the LG site, choosing my specific phone.

I had a brainstorm that I am going to try-- I am going try taking the zvhroot file, put it on the sd card, and rename it "update." Then I am hoping that I can root without needing the ADB... I think.

Last edited:

anon(523450)

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
I had a brainstorm that I am going to try-- I am going try taking the zvhroot file, put it on the sd card, and rename it "update." Then I am hoping that I can root without needing the ADB... I think.

Nope, this didn't work. I get a "E: signature verification failed Installation aborted"
When I try the steps according to the directions on the page I was previously using
I get "error: device not found" in the adb window.

Anyone?

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Let's try this... Download the zvj.update.zip file from the drivers link in my sig, rename it update.zip and try flashing that, twice. Or, you can download the kp500 tool (and the zvd cab) and see if that will recognize your phone (both also in that link in my sig).

anon(523450)

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Let's try this... Download the zvj.update.zip file from the drivers link in my sig, rename it update.zip and try flashing that, twice. Or, you can download the kp500 tool (and the zvd cab) and see if that will recognize your phone (both also in that link in my sig).
Thank you so much! Will try that now before work. Oh wait-- I did revert back to ZVD yesterday, hoping it would help (it didn't) Can I still run the ZVJ update?
I was researching some more later and was thinking maybe it is a bios issue? I did try plugging in another phone (Samsung) and the same thing happens. It charges but doesn't recognize usb data connection.

Last edited:

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I did try plugging in another phone (Samsung) and the same thing happens. It charges but doesn't recognize usb data connection.

A-ha!! I would now look to your cables/ computer for the issue!

Just out of curiosity, when you reverted back to zvd, did you flash update.zip, reboot into gingerbread, then boot back into recovery and flash update.zip again?

anon(523450)

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
A-ha!! I would now look to your cables/ computer for the issue!

Just out of curiosity, when you reverted back to zvd, did you flash update.zip, reboot into gingerbread, then boot back into recovery and flash update.zip again?
I don't think so. Is it necessary to flash twice?
I think I definitely figured out the problem, but not sure how to fix it. HP (my computer is a Presario laptop, and the desktop is also HP) doesn't have Windows 7 updates for my computer! Only Vista. I ran a free check program from cnet and found it had 13 things that needed to be updated in the drivers and bios.
Any idea of what I can do now? Find a different computer?

Another piece of info, may or may not be useful: when I plug something else into the same usb port (wireless mouse, usb hub, etc) the computer DOES recognize the hardware. It is apparently just phones it doesn't recognize. I have tried 5 different usb cables, so I can't imagine that is the problem....

Last edited:

droid597

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah! If you can get your hands on a different PC, try that. I hated my PC, and am now a happy Mac user :) Always used Linux too, but I love both Linux and Mac (No driver hassels, pretty secure, no defrag-ging HD, etc.). Again, you can try WUBI (Just do a google search), and Dual boot (Ubuntu + 7) on your laptop if you have enough space. But, if you don't know what you are doing, try using Oracle's VirtualBOX (Free) and a Linux Flavor (Ubuntu, Fedora, or Linux Mint), and connect your phone to that.
The easier option would be to use another PC. If you have a Mac or Linux based machine by you, even better!

Sdude1200

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah! If you can get your hands on a different PC, try that. I hated my PC, and am now a happy Mac user :) Always used Linux too, but I love both Linux and Mac (No driver hassels, pretty secure, no defrag-ging HD, etc.). Again, you can try WUBI (Just do a google search), and Dual boot (Ubuntu + 7) on your laptop if you have enough space. But, if you don't know what you are doing, try using Oracle's VirtualBOX (Free) and a Linux Flavor (Ubuntu, Fedora, or Linux Mint), and connect your phone to that.
The easier option would be to use another PC. If you have a Mac or Linux based machine by you, even better!

This^^

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't think so. Is it necessary to flash twice?
I think I definitely figured out the problem, but not sure how to fix it. HP (my computer is a Presario laptop, and the desktop is also HP) doesn't have Windows 7 updates for my computer! Only Vista. I ran a free check program from cnet and found it had 13 things that needed to be updated in the drivers and bios.
Any idea of what I can do now? Find a different computer?

Another piece of info, may or may not be useful: when I plug something else into the same usb port (wireless mouse, usb hub, etc) the computer DOES recognize the hardware. It is apparently just phones it doesn't recognize. I have tried 5 different usb cables, so I can't imagine that is the problem....

Yes, it's necessary to flash zvd update.zip twice.

Does your computer recognize the phone when you plug it in to view/move files? Is the issue only adb?

There is a way to do adb thru linux, but it's a bear to set up. You can set up a "virtual" linux box thru a program called wubi. It's a windows installer for ubuntu, and there are a lot of directions for installing android sdk in linux on the interwebs (Google).

droid597

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

Does your computer recognize the phone when you plug it in to view/move files? Is the issue only adb?

There is a way to do adb thru linux, but it's a bear to set up. You can set up a "virtual" linux box thru a program called wubi. It's a windows installer for ubuntu, and there are a lot of directions for installing android sdk in linux on the interwebs (Google).

Sure you need to flash it twice? Back when downgrading from the first GB update the Sprint screwed up (I just blanked, lol) to ZVD, I remember only flashing it once.
However, we both quoted "Wubi" (Personally, one of the coolest things to get introduced to Linux), and I think that this would be the BEST way to solve this problem, as if you plan to continue with droid phones, Linux encounters a minimal amount of errors, like mac , when compared to Windows (not being biased, but Linux and Mac are just easier to use and hassle free as well).
Wubi+ Windows or VirtualBOX (Ubuntu) + Windows should solve your problem :)

anon(523450)

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
This^^

Thanks... I SOOO wish I was a happy mac user... Macbook just costs too much. As soon as this one dies, I am all set, but it keeps on kicking.
I will try one of the dual boot things. I know my hubby had a dual boot machine at one point, so he can probably help if needed. Maybe I will try Virtual box
Thanks!

---------- Post Merged at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Computer doesn't do anything with phone when connected except charge. There is no acknowledgement of usb connected device at all.

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Before you go and install a new operating system, take a look at the legacy files in my sig and try the LG drivers I have there. I doubt that that's what your problem is because I've installed the wrong drivers before and was still able to recognize the phone. But it won't hurt to try.

anon(523450)

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
SO... I think I have figured the problem but have no solution (not a Windows issue after all)
It would appear that the problem is physical- BOTH with the USB port on the Optimus AND with at least 2-3 of the cables. I was finally able to get a USB connection with my Samsung Moment, using a Kindle cord, on both computers. However, after unplugging and replugging, I had to really jiggle it and push etc to get it to come back. Once I had a secure USB connection on the Moment attached to the laptop, I carefully unplugged it from the phone (leaving it plugged into the USB port on the laptop) and plugged it into the Optimus. Nothing (just charging) I tried wiggling, shoving, half-in, half-out, whatever.
This might be a good point to mention/remember that the Optimus took a scuba dive into the toilet about a year ago. I rescued it and managed to ressucitate it by taking it apart to the lcd screen and letting it dry out in dessicant. Maybe the USB port was damaged at that point.....

Are there any rooting options that do not require adb??? I still have a functional sd card, and I might have found another work around to the flashing issue. I noticed in the :"Location and security" tab that there is an option to install certificates from SD card. That might mean that I can choose what I want to install?

Thanks to all for the help so far... would love it if I can find a solution now to rooting the phone without needing to connect via usb.

Sdude1200

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
SO... I think I have figured the problem but have no solution (not a Windows issue after all)
It would appear that the problem is physical- BOTH with the USB port on the Optimus AND with at least 2-3 of the cables. I was finally able to get a USB connection with my Samsung Moment, using a Kindle cord, on both computers. However, after unplugging and replugging, I had to really jiggle it and push etc to get it to come back. Once I had a secure USB connection on the Moment attached to the laptop, I carefully unplugged it from the phone (leaving it plugged into the USB port on the laptop) and plugged it into the Optimus. Nothing (just charging) I tried wiggling, shoving, half-in, half-out, whatever.
This might be a good point to mention/remember that the Optimus took a scuba dive into the toilet about a year ago. I rescued it and managed to ressucitate it by taking it apart to the lcd screen and letting it dry out in dessicant. Maybe the USB port was damaged at that point.....

Are there any rooting options that do not require adb??? I still have a functional sd card, and I might have found another work around to the flashing issue. I noticed in the :"Location and security" tab that there is an option to install certificates from SD card. That might mean that I can choose what I want to install?

Thanks to all for the help so far... would love it if I can find a solution now to rooting the phone without needing to connect via usb.

Since you aren't rooted ATM, I may suggest taking the phone into your local Sprint Tech shop and have them check it out. If you have insurance, they'll replace the phone. You may also try to use a needle and VERY CAREFULLY attempt to clean out pocket lint and other foreign objects from your USB port on your phone. They like to collect the damndest things

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy