Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shockdude
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Default Rooting Optimus S without service - feels like I'm going in circles

I've been trying to read the threads about rooting an LG Optimus S and feel like I've been going in circles.

I have an old Sprint phone, but no longer have any service for it (moved to Straight Talk and could not bring my old phone with me). Now I want to use the old phone as a PDA/Reader/micro-tablet.

What files/threads should I be reading TODAY in order to accomplish this? Most of the thread seem to be very old and many of the links either no longer work, or seem to send me in circles (I have the over the air ZVJ update).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

ROM
    Changes Daily

Default Re: Rooting Optimus S without service - feels like I'm going in circles

[HOW-TO] Root stock ZVJ by downgrading to ZVH. that should get you going... ZVJ is currently not rootable by any direct method

Tapatalk'n it from my Cold As Ice VM670 running LS670ZVJ firmware
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Many thanks! I think that I've gotten the first steps done thanks to that link. Now on to finding how to use this without any kinds of service other than a WiFi connection... Any ideas on that front?

ROM
    mirage cm7

you don't need any cellular service to root. all you need is the phone, a computer with internet access, a usb cord, a willingness to read, and a bit of patience.
    which step are you currently stuck on?
    Shinkenred likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shockdude View Post
    you don't need any cellular service to root. all you need is the phone, a computer with internet access, a usb cord, a willingness to read, and a bit of patience.
    which step are you currently stuck on?
    I'm not sure that I'm "Stuck" really, just not sure where to go from here... BTW, I think that I have the root access installed properly, but I don't understand how to check on that.

All I really want to do with this device right now is to use it as a kids game device and possibly as an e-reader.

I THINK this would mean striping it down some from the stock build so that the internal memory is as large as possible, possibly finding some app that would allow the external memory to be uses as if it were the internal memory, and setting up some sort of internet connection to my home WiFi network that would allow downloading of games and e-books.

Other suggestions are more than welcome!

ROM
    Changes Daily

Quote Originally Posted by phraedrique View Post
    I'm not sure that I'm "Stuck" really, just not sure where to go from here... BTW, I think that I have the root access installed properly, but I don't understand how to check on that.

All I really want to do with this device right now is to use it as a kids game device and possibly as an e-reader.

I THINK this would mean striping it down some from the stock build so that the internal memory is as large as possible, possibly finding some app that would allow the external memory to be uses as if it were the internal memory, and setting up some sort of internet connection to my home WiFi network that would allow downloading of games and e-books.

Other suggestions are more than welcome!
    Download a terminal emulator from the market and type su

If you get a prompt to allow or deny followed by a # in terminal then you have root

Tapatalk'n it from my Cold As Ice VM670 running LS670ZVJ firmware
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Hummm... trying to follow the instructions on the automated rooting method here: [How-To] Automated Rooting of LS670ZVD/ZVH/ZVJ

I get the following:
    Getting ready to

INSTALL persistent root (sans exploit)

Press any key to continue . . .

----

Proceeding with install

---- BEGIN LOG ----

...Proceeding to copy necessary files...

push: copy2sd/000root/Superuser.apk -> /sdcard/000root/Superuser.apk
    push: copy2sd/000root/su -> /sdcard/000root/su
    push: copy2sd/000root/misc.img -> /sdcard/000root/misc.img
    push: copy2sd/000root/install-unroot.sh -> /sdcard/000root/install-unroot.sh
    push: copy2sd/000root/install-root.sh -> /sdcard/000root/install-root.sh
    push: copy2sd/000root/install-recovery-xionia.sh -> /sdcard/000root/install-recovery-xionia.sh
    push: copy2sd/000root/install-recovery-xionia-misc.sh -> /sdcard/000root/install-recovery-xionia-mis
    c.sh
    push: copy2sd/000root/install-recovery-vj-misc.sh -> /sdcard/000root/install-recovery-vj-misc.sh
    push: copy2sd/000root/install-recovery-vd.sh -> /sdcard/000root/install-recovery-vd.sh
    push: copy2sd/000root/install-recovery-common.sh -> /sdcard/000root/install-recovery-common.sh
    push: copy2sd/000root/install-misc-common.sh -> /sdcard/000root/install-misc-common.sh
    push: copy2sd/000root/install-cleanup.sh -> /sdcard/000root/install-cleanup.sh
    push: copy2sd/000root/install-cleanup-cache.sh -> /sdcard/000root/install-cleanup-cache.sh
    push: copy2sd/000root/func.inc.sh -> /sdcard/000root/func.inc.sh
    push: copy2sd/000root/flash_image -> /sdcard/000root/flash_image
    push: copy2sd/000root/busybox -> /sdcard/000root/busybox
    16 files pushed. 0 files skipped.
    541 KB/s (2482507 bytes in 4.478s)
    push: copy2sd-img/000root/xionia_cwma_12518.6.img -> /sdcard/000root/xionia_cwma_12518.6.img
    push: copy2sd-img/000root/recovery_vj.img -> /sdcard/000root/recovery_vj.img
    push: copy2sd-img/000root/recovery_vd.img -> /sdcard/000root/recovery_vd.img
    3 files pushed. 0 files skipped.
    662 KB/s (17641472 bytes in 25.991s)

- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -

- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -

---- END LOG ----

----

Getting ready to reboot...

Press any key to continue . . .
    Do the two "failed" messages show a problem?

I know that when I try to use ADB Shell to enter the SU command I get a permission denied message.
    $ su
    su
    su: permission denied
    $

Hey buddy, here is what you need to do:

TL;DR - Install ZVD, root, install ZVJ, root ZVJ

Download the following
    Official Sprint ZVD / Froyo downgrade now available (ZVD update.zip [MD5: 2db9b55305cff37a6b6e402fb8518acf] [Size: 88,007,618])
    [How-To] Automated Rooting of LS670ZVD/ZVH/ZVJ (Download the Optimus automated rooting package [optiauto.zip])

1. Put the update.zip file to the base of your SD card.
    2. Boot in recovery (power, volume-up, search)
    3. "apply sdcard:update.zip" and reboot
    4. Extract "optiauto.zip" and run the file "runfirst"
    7. Run through option 'A' (this will root and install a custom recovery to ZVD). Follow Instructions.
    8. Reboot and run option B this time. Follow instructions.
    9. ???
    10. Profit, Install DanteRom ([ROM][ZVJ] 2.3.3 DanteRom v4 [UPDATE] 10/14/2012) or whatever else you want
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VwvPU687OH5j View Post
    Hey buddy, here is what you need to do:

TL;DR - Install ZVD, root, install ZVJ, root ZVJ

Download the following
    Official Sprint ZVD / Froyo downgrade now available (ZVD update.zip [MD5: 2db9b55305cff37a6b6e402fb8518acf] [Size: 88,007,618])
    [How-To] Automated Rooting of LS670ZVD/ZVH/ZVJ (Download the Optimus automated rooting package [optiauto.zip])

1. Put the update.zip file to the base of your SD card.
    2. Boot in recovery (power, volume-up, search)
    3. "apply sdcard:update.zip" and reboot
    4. Extract "optiauto.zip" and run the file "runfirst"
    7. Run through option 'A' (this will root and install a custom recovery to ZVD). Follow Instructions.
    8. Reboot and run option B this time. Follow instructions.
    9. ???
    10. Profit, Install DanteRom ([ROM][ZVJ] 2.3.3 DanteRom v4 [UPDATE] 10/14/2012) or whatever else you want
    Errr. I did all that, but still ended up without SU access.on the ZVJ automated rooting package. I think that there is something going wrong in the automated process. Still, with the system in Airplane mode I am able to use the WiFi and generally use the phone as a tablet without the annoying popup messages about not having service. Unless there is something else out there that would make this thing much better than sliced bread, I think that I'm good.... (Not saying that I wouldn't be interested in suggestions for more, but at the moment, the kids can play angry birds and fruit ninja, and I can get to e-books on the device, so things are good...)

ROM
    mirage cm7

keep this in mind: you can't root ZVJ directly; you have to jump through a bunch of hoops (downgrading, rooting, upgrading, rerooting) and root ZVJ indirectly.
    go to settings > about phone. what is your Baseband Version? (note, ZVJ=MVJ and ZVD=MVD. we tend to use ZVJ instead of MVJ on this forum for some reason)
    if it's ZVJ, you need to downgrade to ZVH if you don't want to lose the data on your phone (most people will suggest downgrading to ZVD, but that requires a data wipe). instructions to downgrade are in the "Root ZVJ by downgrading to ZVH" thread linked above.
    once you're on ZVH, open up optiauto and run Option A to root ZVH. afterward, run Option B and read the directions on the screen line-by-line. missing a step will cause everything to fail. Option B will upgrade you to ZVJ and reroot the phone, leaving you with rooted ZVJ.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Download Busybox Installer from the Market, run / install, then try again maybe.
    --Chris [cole2kb]

I have the same question...not about rooting, but ROM. Did you get what you where looking for.

Is there a ROM that has all the phone functions removed? I'm just looking to have the Optimus S function as a mini tablet.

ROM
    RasbeanJelly/DanteRom v4

Quote Originally Posted by MrShoe87 View Post
    I have the same question...not about rooting, but ROM. Did you get what you where looking for.

Is there a ROM that has all the phone functions removed? I'm just looking to have the Optimus S function as a mini tablet.
    None that I have heard of but you can disable the radio function of any phone/ROM by running *#*#4636#*#* from the dialer then under phone info turn off radio. WiFi will still work.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by hlxanthus View Post
    None that I have heard of but you can disable the radio function of any phone/ROM by running *#*#4636#*#*
    Thanks for the heads up. I had done that but had hopes that I could remove the dialer junk for space and ease of use for my daughter.