1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default SD card damaged and lost everything including recovery

This was so weird, on Tuesday night for some reason my phone was saying that my sd card was damaged, I have no idea how that happened. I had done my usual things with the phone; text calls listening to music and just sat the phone down to rest it. I picked it up after an hour or so and the phone read the sd card is damaged. I thought 'ok this is a glitch i will just reinsert the card and it will go away', and so i did and the problem went away. The next day i decided to do a recovery to do a backup but i got an error saying COT not found and it kept repeating it over and over until i pulled the battery out.The phone started to boot ok after that, but i realized i lost my recovery not only that i lost everything from the SD card, i tried to load it up again and it said it needed to be formatted which was very weird because it was already formatted-mind you this is a 8gb and not a 2gb, i had alot of things stored on that card. My apps, backups and even my recovery gone. I tried to get the card to read on the computer and again it said it needed formatting. What the heck happened? How did i even lose my recovery even? Also this was not a cheap SD card either, this is a san disk sd card. I got all my backups saved on the computer thank god but what i dont understand is how did i even lose my recovery? I had to reinstall Xionia and hoping Cot wasnt the issue which i doubt. Otherwise my phone works ok like normal, no issues whatsoever. I am just at a loss at how my sd card mysteriously got damaged and there was no way to access anything from it

ROM
    CM7/CM9

Default Re: SD card damaged and lost everything including recovery

Didn't lose anything huh? Everything all backed up? Good for you. I've lost everything except some old pictures I randomly put on my computer TWICE.

I hate to be so pessimistic and annoying but I just felt like there's really no need for this if everything's perfectly fine.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by williek113 View Post
    Didn't lose anything huh? Everything all backed up? Good for you. I've lost everything except some old pictures I randomly put on my computer TWICE.

I hate to be so pessimistic and annoying but I just felt like there's really no need for this if everything's perfectly fine.
    Well just putting it out there for those people who have the same problem thank you very much, besides that I am sorry you lost some things as well but let that be a lesson for all of us huh???

- - - Updated - - -

My main question is how did i lose recovery point blank?

ROM
    Changes Daily

Quote Originally Posted by gingerc76 View Post
    Well just putting it out there for those people who have the same problem thank you very much, besides that I am sorry you lost some things as well but let that be a lesson for all of us huh???

- - - Updated - - -

My main question is how did i lose recovery point blank?
    COT recovery keeps a settings file on the sdcard I'm guessing the error you saw was the recovery looking for this and trying to make it on your sdcard

Tapatalk'n it from my Cold As Ice VM670 running LS670ZVJ firmware
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

It's weird how it's gone from my phone like it got wiped off somehow

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

ROM
    AOKP JB Milestone 1

This was so weird, on Tuesday night for some reason my phone was saying that my sd card was damaged, I have no idea how that happened. I had done my usual things with the phone; text calls listening to music and just sat the phone down to rest it. I picked it up after an hour or so and the phone read the sd card is damaged. I thought 'ok this is a glitch i will just reinsert the card and it will go away', and so i did and the problem went away. The next day i decided to do a recovery to do a backup but i got an error saying COT not found and it kept repeating it over and over until i pulled the battery out.The phone started to boot ok after that, but i realized i lost my recovery not only that i lost everything from the SD card, i tried to load it up again and it said it needed to be formatted which was very weird because it was already formatted-mind you this is a 8gb and not a 2gb, i had alot of things stored on that card. My apps, backups and even my recovery gone. I tried to get the card to read on the computer and again it said it needed formatting. What the heck happened? How did i even lose my recovery even? Also this was not a cheap SD card either, this is a san disk sd card. I got all my backups saved on the computer thank god but what i dont understand is how did i even lose my recovery? I had to reinstall Xionia and hoping Cot wasnt the issue which i doubt. Otherwise my phone works ok like normal, no issues whatsoever. I am just at a loss at how my sd card mysteriously got damaged and there was no way to access anything from it
    This sounds like what happened to me in mid-September, my microSD card failed (it appears to have been natural degradation) and I just managed to perform a final full backup from it before it died completely. However, while I had the card removed, I discovered something interesting. COT doesn't work without an operable microSD card installed. As thewraith420 noted, COT stores a settings file on the SD card and when that file isn't found and can't be created, it gets VERY cranky. So, I temporarily put in the old 2GB card that came with my phone to use the recovery and everything worked fine. About the microSD card itself though, since you said that this is a SanDisk card, it should be under warranty so you can just get it replaced for free from them. Personally, I bought a new 16GB class 10 SanDisk card on sale for $15 and then dealt with the RMA process for my 2.5 year old 8GB class 6 so now I just have another spare.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I also found out there's a way to retrieve a sdcard from a recovery software for either windows or Mac but too little too late. And going into the warranty issue right now

ROM
    Quatrimus / CM10

Quote Originally Posted by CardcaptorRLH85 View Post
    COT doesn't work without an operable microSD card installed. As thewraith420 noted, COT stores a settings file on the SD card and when that file isn't found and can't be created, it gets VERY cranky. So, I temporarily put in the old 2GB card that came with my phone to use the recovery and everything worked fine.
    This is correct yes... A tiny bit of incite as well; the theme changer in COT which initially required the settings file (before the addition of more options) was originally written for the Kindle Fire (the sdcard is part of the emmc) and so making it boot without an sdcard was never considered until someone mentioned it regarding the optimus.

OP; very sorry to hear about your issues but what others have said sounds correct, after you get a working sdcard back in the device the recovery should boot right up. If for some reason you need recovery prior to replacing the sdcard you can push xionia or similar to /dev/tmp (will have to create it first) than flash it (all from an adb shell).
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Android 2.3.4 :-(

I assume you don't have a backup... so the thing is to try and recover the card.

I'd plug the card in to a desktop computer and try and recover the data through there. If at least once it can be detected, then try to copy all data off it.

Did you have another partition on the card? Is that partition bad as well?

Actually, you could use a program like Minitools Partition Magic to try and copy the whole partition over at once to another card (must be plugged in to the PC at the same time).

Now, why did the card go bad? Did it catch fire? Was it of poor quality? Maybe a fake one? Various months ago I bought a 16Gb Kingston Micro SD, and before I completed the purchase at the store, I accessed Kingston's website to check if the card was original: they have a tool where you enter some information from the card's package etc and it'll return you if it's fake or not.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBR View Post
    I assume you don't have a backup... so the thing is to try and recover the card.

I'd plug the card in to a desktop computer and try and recover the data through there. If at least once it can be detected, then try to copy all data off it.

Did you have another partition on the card? Is that partition bad as well?

Actually, you could use a program like Minitools Partition Magic to try and copy the whole partition over at once to another card (must be plugged in to the PC at the same time).

Now, why did the card go bad? Did it catch fire? Was it of poor quality? Maybe a fake one? Various months ago I bought a 16Gb Kingston Micro SD, and before I completed the purchase at the store, I accessed Kingston's website to check if the card was original: they have a tool where you enter some information from the card's package etc and it'll return you if it's fake or not.
    Like I said I honestly don't know what happened to the sd card but I'd figure I would back up whatever is on the card to my computer and also to another storage just in case the computer doesn't. I'm more prepared this time, i got my phone the way i had it before the mysterious damage. Thanks for the info :thumbup:

ROM
    Stock

I am just going to put this out there you really have no reason to boot to recovery without a SD card inserted because u can't flash a rom or make a backup the only thing you might do is use recovery bootloop fix but u want an SD card after that anyways.

Sent from my LS670
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Seditec View Post
    I am just going to put this out there you really have no reason to boot to recovery without a SD card inserted because u can't flash a rom or make a backup the only thing you might do is use recovery bootloop fix but u want an SD card after that anyways.

Sent from my LS670
    I've been using an sd card but it mysteriously got damaged and ended up losing all my backups including Cot. I've just decided to backup everything because you never know even with a working brand new sd card or even a brand new phone accidents can happen

Thanked by:

I am just going to put this out there you really have no reason to boot to recovery without a SD card inserted because u can't flash a rom or make a backup the only thing you might do is use recovery bootloop fix but u want an SD card after that anyways.0
    Actually, there are a number of things that you might want to do from COT with a broken card, like formatting the card and creating a partition. Of course you could do that with PC also.

Last week I accidentally screwed up my SD card and was shocked to see that when I tried to go into recovery, COT wouldn't work because it couldn't find its initialization file on the broken SD card. I freaked out but was happy to see COT work (with a complaint about the missing init file) once I installed a working SD card. Fortunately, I had backed up my SD card to my PC.
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    Stock

What cot version are you on?

Sent from my LS670
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

What cot version are you on?

Sent from my LS670
    Didn't know there's a version

(edit) I am kidding i am on v2.0.2 i heard there's a new version but i am assuming it's for testing purposes only
    Last edited by gingerc76; 11-28-2012 at 06:51 PM.

ROM
    Changes Daily

Didn't know there's a version

(edit) I am kidding i am on v2.0.2 i heard there's a new version but i am assuming it's for testing purposes only
    New 2.1 will be out Saturday

Tapatalk'n it from my Cold As Ice VM670 running LS670ZVJ firmware

ROM
    Stock

Ya 2.1 will be out Saturday

Sent from my LS670
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Ya 2.1 will be out Saturday

Sent from my LS670
    If it's out by now then how come i don't see a post or anything mentioning of an update on here

ROM
    RasbeanJelly/DanteRom v4

If it's out by now then how come i don't see a post or anything mentioning of an update on here

Releases for COT are no longer hosted directly here at AC. Check out v2.1 here.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

I have lost everything on 14G extSD card twice .. I have read many posts seeking recovery solutions. I did have tech friend tell me the cause COULD be magnetic. And, I had put my phone in a new case which had a magnetic closure. Posting as an FYI.. but still seeking restore options.

How did I damage my sd card on my samsung galaxy tab 2
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by ken rousey View Post
    How did I damage my sd card on my samsung galaxy tab 2
    Unfortunately this thread isn't for your Samsung galaxy tab, try looking under the Samsung thread :thumbup: