Optimus S (Reborn ROM) crashing when 32GB SD card filled with music

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I have 3 Optimus S's running Reborn ROM. All 3 have good (Patriot or SanDisk) Class-10 32GB SD cards. Two of them are running Link2SD (thanks to the data2ext4-V4-modified.zip). One is not running EXT4 or Link2SD. All three run fine when the SD card isn't full (say 6GB used). But on all three, when I try loading my entire music collection (28 GB) onto their SD cards (which leaves a couple GB free), they crash constantly. (Sometimes they wont' even stay up for a few seconds.) But as soon as I delete the music, they no longer crash. I'm not sure how much I could put on before they wouldn't crash.

Is this an Optimus S problem or just a problem with Reborn ROM?

Why does this problem happen? Are the thousands of songs too much to index (for the small amount of internal memory) or something?

Or is my musical taste just so bad the phones are gagging?

Thanks in advance!

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
A good partitioning app would give you a better picture of this, but you won't ever get a full 32GB of storage from that card. Your apps/data 2 ext requires one partition and that is 1-2GB most likely. Then you have what is left over for file storage. Any partition needs a minimum of about 10% to be unfilled in order to function properly. So 32GB - 2 GB ext = ~30GB file storage - 10% == Max of ~27 GB for all local storage (pics + music and all local files). Effectively, you are pushing the storage to its limits and encountering problems. Also, depending on what format you use, that can also cause problems with larger partitions. Similar problems would occur with any device; it's certainly not a ROM defect.

gingerc76

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
What mp3s are you downloading from? That too could be a problem. I've never had issues with reborn, the only time I had issues was with cai. Somehow my sd card wouldn't load right and couldn't access it. I realized what the problem was. I had downloaded a mp3 from some site I had found on Google and apparently that was the cause of my sd card going weird. I would also stick with a 8 or a 16 gb card. 32 is imo a bit too much for this phone.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Epidenimus: Thanks for the info. I had never heard that you need to leave about 10% of the SD card free. That makes no sense to me, but then again, I don't understand the inner workings. FYI: Two of the phones have 740MB EXT4 partitions, so loading 28GB of music still leaves about 2GB free. The other phone doesn't have an EXT4 partition (and doesn't use Link2SD) so when loaded with 28GB of music, it has about 3GB free. The music is on a FAT32 partition. But I guess I need to leave more overhead. I'll try loading them up a little at a time and see where they start to crap out.

Thanks again.

Thanks again!

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I did some experimentation and I proved that the problem is NOT that the Optimus S chokes when the 32GB SD card is full.
I think the problem is that either the phone/OS or perhaps Google Play Music chokes when it tries to index the thousands of song files that are suddenly dumped onto the SD card. In fact, I'm no longer sure that my phones were actually crashing. I think maybe they were just so bogged down trying to index the sudden influx of thousands of files that the screen went dark and they became completely unresponsive for a long time (like an hour or more).

For the detectives, here are the results of my experiments so far...
* I have 3 different Optimus S's that worked fine with 3 different relatively empty, Class-10 32GB cards.
* When I added 25GB of music to those 3 different cards (leaving about 2-3GB free), all 3 different Optis "crashed" constantly. "Crashed" meaning that they froze up, the screen went dark, and the were totally unresponsive for at least minutes (before I pulled the battery out to restart the phones).
* When I deleted the 25GB of music from each card, all 3 Optis stopped "crashing".
* On my Opti, I added about 7 very large (~4GB) video files for a total of 30+ GB, leaving (800MB free) but it did NOT crash. So filling the card with a few big files didn't cause it to crash, but adding thousands of song files caused it to "crash".
* I then deleted the video files and added about 20GB (not 25GB) of songs. It "crashed" again. I restarted it a few times and eventually I just let it sit in an apparently crashed (black screen) state for about 1-2 hours because I thought it might just be busy indexing the songs. When I checked it after an hour or two, it was fine.

I'll probably do a couple more experiments with my (family's) other Optis.

Last edited:

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
You were very liberal with the term "crash" in this thread; some patience after introducing a new job to the device would have helped you troubleshoot this much sooner. I'm glad that you got it worked out though. Enjoy the tunes!

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
The problem hasn't really gone away- at least not to my satisfaction. Although my phone worked for a few days with 25GB of music on it, I accidentally unplugged the USB cable after download a picture file to my PC, but before turning "USB storage" off. I ended up in the same situation where the phone "crashed". Sometimes it would crash and restart. Sometimes it would just go black for over an hour. Either way, it was unusable. As soon as I deleted most of the music, it started working normally again. It definitely doesn't like having thousands of songs on it. I'll try some more experimenation, like:
1) Seeing if the same thing happens on my daughter's ZVJ (Gingerbread) phone, just in case it's an issue with ZVD, RebornROM, or Froyo. And..
2) Depending on the results, I may also try to load a bunch of music onto my ZVD phone in a flatter directory structure to see if that helps. Right now most of my music is in a hierarchical structure (i.e. band-name/album-name/song-files.)

Does anybody else out there have like 20GB of music or more on their Optimus's SD cards? How much? Which ROM?

bweb

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering, if something is indexing your songs and making it unresponsive (not crashed), is it Google Music? what if you install that music player, or any other app that may search the whole phone for files.

i prefer music players that let me choose folders anyway.

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
SOLVED! (Or at least kinda understood.) I did some experimentation. Apparently it's a ZVD (or I guess Froyo) problem that doesn't occur on ZVJ (or I guess Gingerbread).

The problem occurs on stock ZVD (Android 2.2 "Froyo") even with only the old stock music player installed (and no other music apps). It also occurs on ZVD-based Reborn ROM with whatever music apps are installed.

The problem does not occur on stock ZVJ (Android 2.3 "Gingerbread") nor on ZVJ-based DanteROM with the stock music player, Google Play Music, & Winamp.

I've moved me and my family from (ZVD-based) RebornROM to (ZVJ-based) DanteROM which (IMHO) is a better ROM anyway, and which includes Hydrokernel's support for EXT4 file systems which is useful for memory-expanding apps like Link2SD.

Last edited:

Esp_eon

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
SOLVED! (Or at least kinda understood.) I did some experimentation. Apparently it's a ZVD (or I guess Froyo) problem that doesn't occur on ZVJ (or I guess Gingerbread).

The problem occurs on stock ZVD (Android 2.2 "Froyo") eveb with only the old stock music player installed (and no other music apps). It also occurs on ZVD-based Reborn ROM with whatever music apps are installed.

The problem does not occur on stock ZVJ (Android 2.3 "Gingerbread") with the stock music player, Google Play Music, & Winamp.

I guess I'll be moving me and my family from (ZVD-based) RebornROM to (ZVJ-based) DanteROM.

I'm glad you figured this out, since I'm on Cm7 ZVD with ~18.5 gigs of music, and I was getting a similar problem. Although I noticed it tended to go a little faster in a flatter file structure, it still took about 1.5 hours to build its file system.